What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment for next year

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Hey everyone, just wanna say hey, first time poster here, long time suffering Warriors supporter ;-)

With Hurrell gone now, and hopefully with us freeing up a little bit of cap space in the next
few months by not resigning a few players (Robbo and Wright I'm looking at you), what kind of signing do you hope to see for us for next year?

I think we're an impact forward short of a great team. I like our prop rotation and a back row who can play the 80, but having a guy who has a good offload, runs holes and can come on 15 minutes before half time and hit those tired forwards is something we;re sorely missing.

I've never been a huge advocate of it, but Manu is slowing down and over the next few years will get even slower, is now the time to have him transition into that Tony Williams mould?

Thoughts?

Scott

Bench
Welcome aboard,

I agree, we are a strike/edge forward short. We currently have Ryan Hoffman playing 80 minutes on the left and is the captain. The reality is, he will stay there in 2017. Bodene Thompson is the current ride sided back rower. I still have high hopes for Shaun Lane but he hasn't really impressed thus far. Other players currently at the club in these positions are Palavi, Ben Henry... hardly players that are going to break the line.

I guess if Vete, Gubb, Lisone, Sipley etc develop then Ben Matulino may still be an option on the edge.

Interesting to see what happens.

Rich102

Staff member
Leuluai is likely to leave at years end. I would have thought Cappy would have given Hingano a run against the Knights. Then it would be a shoot-out between Hingano and Lolohea. Haven't seen enough of Lolohea at half yet to convince me he would be a first pick there. Plays more for himself and kicks far too often wnen there are players outside him.
Anyway, play Hingano or buy a half.
Kata is a winger not a center. I wouldn't mind seeing Allwood given a chance at center. If not then a class center would be on my wishlist.
Gee, I wouldn't be adverse to us making an offer to Fifita either.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Kata is a winger not a center. .

Eh? The guy who is arguably (not arguably in my opinion) the leading candidate for our POTY, easily in the top 4-5 centres on form in the NRL this year and in a position we've really struggled to fill over our history? And has done this in his 2nd season? Why do you figure he's a winger - because he ball hogs? He'll develop that skill. And remember, he's played a lot with Spud Wright outside him - why would you bother to have peripheral vision when the guy next to you is the worst finisher in the comp?

I think we need a prop. A Sam Moa, a McKendry, someone experienced and big-bodied. Lillyman is still getting the job done, Matulino hopefully will fire under a new coach (Lord let us get one) then you've got a bunch of rookies. Lisone has been awful against good opposition, Vete hasn't been given a lot of game/game time, nor has Sipley and Gubb is a liability.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Cheers guys!

Gunna say something that may make me unpopular....but I like Leuluai and think he's what we need in our team. I think he does a lot of things that goes unnoticed...takes alot of pressue of SJ imo, takes the ball to the line, strong defender. Also, he's contracted til the end of 2017 so, barring injury, I think he'll be there. Stability is something the Warriors need, and I think a spine of SJ, Luke and Leuluai for the rest of this year and building into next year with RTS will go great. Hingaro is still so young, he has potential but I don't think you chuck him in when we have Leulua contributing to the team.
Lolohea to play centre for a while for me - needs to be closer to the action, but not calling the shots imo.

I want to see more of Sipley, he looked explosive in his 10 minutes against the Dragons and could be a really good prospect in the future for us.

Been trying to think of a young back rower whos looked impressive...I liked the look of that Tevita Pangai for the Broncos....

Not soo much a fan of Gubb, Gavet, Pavali and Ben Henry, with Hurrell's money could free us up a wee bit of cash for a decent signing

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
Eh? The guy who is arguably (not arguably in my opinion) the leading candidate for our POTY, easily in the top 4-5 centres on form in the NRL this year and in a position we've really struggled to fill over our history? And has done this in his 2nd season? Why do you figure he's a winger - because he ball hogs? He'll develop that skill. And remember, he's played a lot with Spud Wright outside him - why would you bother to have peripheral vision when the guy next to you is the worst finisher in the comp?

I think we need a prop. A Sam Moa, a McKendry, someone experienced and big-bodied. Lillyman is still getting the job done, Matulino hopefully will fire under a new coach (Lord let us get one) then you've got a bunch of rookies. Lisone has been awful against good opposition, Vete hasn't been given a lot of game/game time, nor has Sipley and Gubb is a liability.

Call me old fashioned but I like a center who passes to his winger occasionally. I like the energy Kata brings though.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I still have high hopes for Shaun Lane but he hasn't really impressed thus far.

To be fair, he needs a chance. Needs a coach who, you know, will pick him.....

Havn't really thought about next year yet, especially after the past 2 weeks.

I'd expect to see Robson depart. Possibly Leuluai. Retaining Hingano is a must. We also have Lino but I can't see him staying around beyond this year.

RTS will seem like a new signing, it seems like he barely played 5 mins for us before being injured despite playing like 6 or 7 times.

Really depends on who is available I suppose

TheDMC

Bench
We need a fafita, taumalolo, tapau, kasiano type forward - ie smash through, especially when tired defenders. With a bit more of a roll on from the forwards, Luke and Johnson can go nuts.

jaseg

Juniors
Nelson Asofa-Solomona thanks (or if one of the guys TheDMC listed becomes available, that's an option - but NAS appears to be that type, or Pat Vaivai if he wasn't an idiot).

Anything after that is likely depth, with RTS coming back and Hingano looming.

The market has tied up a LOT of high quality talent much earlier this year than last - I'm guessing that's due to the change in the June 30 reneg rule. So not a huge amount out there, but still value here and there.. experience to be recruited etc, if you want to go that way - Tagataese, Gallen, Ryan Morgan, Moa..

Mansour as a Manu replacement if required.

Scott

Bench
Nelson Asofa-Solomona thanks (or if one of the guys TheDMC listed becomes available, that's an option - but NAS appears to be that type, or Pat Vaivai if he wasn't an idiot).

Anything after that is likely depth, with RTS coming back and Hingano looming.

The market has tied up a LOT of high quality talent much earlier this year than last - I'm guessing that's due to the change in the June 30 reneg rule. So not a huge amount out there, but still value here and there.. experience to be recruited etc, if you want to go that way - Tagataese, Gallen, Ryan Morgan, Moa..

Mansour as a Manu replacement if required.

NAS will either stay in Melbourne or come home to Wellington and play for the Hurricanes.
He will be an All Black in the future.

Scott

Bench
To be fair, he needs a chance. Needs a coach who, you know, will pick him.....

I hear you, but Des Hasler didn't pick him earlier this year either.

That said, I thought he showed enough potential last year for the Bulldogs.

Leber

Bench
Robson and leuluai will go, as will maumalo and hurrel already has gone. Might lose wright too.

Based on that, we need and outside back and a half.

Jordan kahu would be great as would Anthony don. If many decides to move on, maybe we should make a play at mansour.

Not sure what halves are off contract.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Maybe a loosie. A mongrel who's energetic like Josh Reynolds, defense hungry like Campion, enforcer like Napa and dirty and sly like Michael Ennis. AND a baller like Jason Smith.

Mannering can go 2nd row with Matulino. Hoffman can captain our reserves lol.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Thoughts on David Mead?

Off-contract with the titans and is shopping himself around. I'd take him before Kahu tbh

Not much else out there though, might be better keeping our powder dry for mid season signings in 2017 or looking across to England

Big Marn

Juniors
Definitely a strike 2nd rower. Shame nothing coming through the U20s or NSW cup. I guess Ali was a one off.
OUr back three are all the same: 80minute, hardworking but hardly likely to terrorise the defensive line.
Its so much easier for a fullback or half following a strike 2nd rower who can free the ball in the tackle .
Is there anyone out there who would come to NZ?

I would also like another prop. Im guessing we wont pay overs for someone like Aiden Tolman who is very consistent. We need to snag someone on the up who is looking for a payrise. Maybe a Sharks or Storm player that's not getting much game time.
I am kind of in Rich's camp a little bit about Kata He has had 2 years now to improve his skills as a centre. He is a total ball hog and doesnt look like changing. When he does pass, they are usually crazy, have to get rid of it passes that cost us. He reminds me of Matt Utai with his power running. He should be on the wing if he doesnt start playing like a centre should.
Would love to have Brent Tate in this years team as he would have been great for them. Unfortunately, you cant turn back time...

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Thoughts on David Mead?

Off-contract with the titans and is shopping himself around. I'd take him before Kahu tbh

Not much else out there though, might be better keeping our powder dry for mid season signings in 2017 or looking across to England

Same I'd take him over Kahu. Kahu missing a lot of tackles lately. Poor against us and not too good last game. Also Kahus injury prone.

Mead is faster than Kahu.

jaseg

Juniors
2nd row isn't where I'd be looking tbh. We have 2 great edge forwards, and Bodene after that.. and 'strike' 2nd rowers generally aren't great (T.Williams, Dave Taylor, Mateo anyone?).. the better ones are the guys like Gillett, Frizell, Cordner or... well, Hoffman/Mannering. Unless you want something like the error/penalty machine that is Wade Graham.

If you want punch in the pack, it's the middle forwards I'd look at, allowing us to move Si-man to the edge. It's no coincidence that the Broncos, Cowboys & Sharks all use more genuine middle forwards at 13 rather than an older-style lock.

NAS will either stay in Melbourne or come home to Wellington and play for the Hurricanes.
He will be an All Black in the future.

If true that's a real shame (for us). The guy looks amazing, and profiles like Taupau on steroids (that's actually an understatement, somehow - he's freakish)... and he's only 20!

ozbash

Referee
We need a fafita, taumalolo, tapau, kasiano type forward - ie smash through, especially when tired defenders. With a bit more of a roll on from the forwards, Luke and Johnson can go nuts.

you mean a Vete, Gubb, Gavett, Lisone type forward ?

Welcome to the forum, Villa ;-)