What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment Philosophy

Finally got round to listening to the Millward update.

Its clear we are going to rely on developing our juniors.

Herbert and Zac Lomax have been inked in as Centres to compete with Lafai and Aitken going forward.

I suspect Garrick and possibly Isaac Thompson are competing for a wing spot over the next 18 months.

Mann is Millward's Mr Fixit as he can play every position in the back line.

Dufty/Field/Mann and possibly Flo to compete for the Full Back role.

Hunt/Widdop long term halves with Hutch and Mann as backups.

Lawrie/Kerr/Leilua/Host to progress to the bench to support the current pack.

We are in the market for a prop but won't break the bank chasing anyone because we have some serious forward talent coming through.

Fact is if we had a 7 this season I could see us making a deep run in final series. Therefore maybe, just maybe we are only a couple of players short of being a top 4 team.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I like that we are looking to our juniors for the next few years, Millward is right we have some serious talent there. We're going to have a very different looking side in 2018 and beyond, it's exciting.

The only thing that is really up in the air now is the Packer replacement. I feel as though the club might have an ace up their sleeve here. My mind tells me that NAS, Paasi, Lodge or Blair would be the target... But I feel like there's something bigger at play here.

thebigredv

First Grade
Feels like this has been the same philosophy for years and years. In the modern climate, you develop 2 or 3 outstanding juniors and you're lucky to keep one of them. Packer should be replaced by some big established player now, even if it costs us.

Reactions: Qdf

thebigredv

First Grade
P.S. having 3 players compete for one spot shows no belief, foresight or knack for finding potential on behalf of Millward and McGregor.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I have only seen Lomax play one game in the 20's. I think he is still eligible for under 18's. He looked pretty good. He looks tough, has good defence, good footwork, can set up his outside runners and can offload in a tackle. I had already heard of the wraps on him and after seeing him play above his age in the 20's, I think he can certainly develop into a first grade centre. I have not seen Herbert. He has big wraps on him and is older than Lomax, so he will probably get a crack before Lomax. I expect Herbert or Lomax to take Aikten's position.

I am fine with us going with our juniors, if they are really good.

FlameThrower

Bench

Herbert and Zac Lomax have been inked in as Centres to compete with Lafai and Aitken going forward.

I suspect Garrick and possibly Isaac Thompson are competing for a wing spot over the next 18 months.

We are in the market for a prop but won't break the bank chasing anyone because we have some serious forward talent coming through.

Fact is if we had a 7 this season I could see us making a deep run in final series. Therefore maybe, just maybe we are only a couple of players short of being a top 4 team.
Great concise summary...well done.

denis preston

First Grade
P.S. having 3 players compete for one spot shows no belief, foresight or knack for finding potential on behalf of Millward and McGregor.

Oh come on RedV , is this criticism for criticism sake ? I'd say it was good policy , as who do we really know out of these 3 players is going to develop better ? A boy to a man development makes or breaks most players under 21.

possm

Coach
So true only 1/50 make it to first grade so you can't have too many juniors.
So why sign so many juniors ahead of our marquee players?
Why retain/upgrade our first grade pack 4 months ahead of Packer?
Why delay the signing of Packer for 6 months?
If the Dugan retention was problematic, why did not we make a play for Tedesco.

Reactions: Qdf

FlameThrower

Bench
So why sign so many juniors ahead of our marquee players?
Why retain/upgrade our first grade pack 4 months ahead of Packer?
Why delay the signing of Packer for 6 months?
If the Dugan retention was problematic, why did not we make a play for Tedesco.
And the Tigers fiasco and player vacuum had nothing to do with player market upheaval? Did anyone predict that?

Old Timer

Coach
Thats all well and good when Souths have wrapped him up already.
They can wrap him up because they give him a go and know exactly what he brings to the table at 21 years of age
We can't wrap anyone up but on 2 year contracts because evidently they have to be circa 24 or so before they will ever get a run on jersey with us and only then will we really know if we want them.

Sele is basically the same age and he has been given a go.

Host again around the same age and he has been given a go to.

Leuila again given a go (Yes not at present) but has been.

The outside backs a little different i admit and really outside of Dufty and Field no one else is quite ready.

You can beat the drum as much as you like but players have debuted regardless of the spin you want everyone to swallow.

Old Timer

Coach
Sele is basically the same age and he has been given a go.

Host again around the same age and he has been given a go to.

Leuila again given a go (Yes not at present) but has been.

The outside backs a little different i admit and really outside of Dufty and Field no one else is quite ready.

You can beat the drum as much as you like but players have debuted regardless of the spin you want everyone to swallow.
Not saying they haven't debuted but we never stick with them or show great faith in them we just give them crumbs as we are conservative.
Can you tell me why Host was dropped after the first 5 games of which 4 were wins?
interesting about how people view being given a go
Hess 13 games ave 61 minutes per game
Crichton 12 games ave 67 minutes per game
Sele 8 games ave 21 minutes per game
Host 5 games ave 26 minutes per game (last year ave 40 minutes)
No comparison we are conservative and that is all there is too it.
Host or Sele should be starting this week and not Sims who is a bench player full stop.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors

Yawn.

Same sh@t different day by a tired and inbred and job protectionist club management.

We just lost Packer and Dugan - nobody replaces that overnight. Add Bird to the ability of management to develop and retain junior talent.

You say if we had a no 7 we are a threat this year but next year we get a 7 and lose an international prop and fullback. Net neutral exchange at best.

Mcidiot needs excuses for his failures and club management keep giving him perfect excuses - the club is the best in the world at dumb management, weak leadership and salary protecting themselves.

It's a sad end.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
I would add the club now very much looks and feels like North Sydney bears or Newtown jets as those two clubs crawled there way to extinction.

Both clubs had terrible management in the last 20 years of their existence and the bears especially had an awful beauracratux.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

It's nothing more than an admission that the club cannot recruit anyone of note (excluding Hunt).

And as for the "serious forward talent coming through", it is very much untested at NRL level.

Without 'like-for-like' replacements for Dugan/Packer, the Dragons will struggle next year.

As for club management, well, most of us acknowledge how shambolic it's been for decades.

Perhaps Brian Smith was right when exclaimed 20 years ago, "the place smells like Newtown?"

Last edited: