Recruitment so far..........

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Slippery Morris, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Drakon

Drakon Juniors

Watched Kerr in the lightning disrupted trial game against the Dogs at WIN stadium and saw him play against Penrith. I don't think he is ready for first grade yet. Watched Mose against Penrith and saw him interviewed after the game. He needs more time at Cutters level to get match fit for sure. He readily admitted he was puffing hard. Hopefully they both progress well.

possm, dragonssamy61 and Gareth67 like this.
  2. Glenn01

Glenn01 Juniors

I just think he (Marketo) cops a lot of unfair criticism on this forum. If he were 15kg heavier and just as fast and fit he would be a superstar. I know that's purely hypothetical but even as is, he has never been a star but never hopelessly let the team down either.

3. GC Dragon

GC Dragon Juniors

Yeah I agree with you . Kerr looks way off first grade pace and I am doubtful Mose will make first grade this year . Sele is well ahead of them two at this stage . The Cutters will miss Wakemann this year badly .

Drakon, dragonssamy61 and Gareth67 like this.
  4. BennyV

BennyV Coach

I dont expect him to say anything, but as soon as one of the media old boys touts Mary as a good coach, the rest of the media wont say a word against him. Couple that with the fact that the Board would prefer to keep him on regardless of results as he's one of their mates, it all points towards 2 more years, at least...

to_ddeath and Country Dragon like this.
  5. to_ddeath

to_ddeath First Grade

Isn't it great to have footy media mates that can always back you up through good or bad times..

6. AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos First Grade

Well he ain't 15kg heavier nor faster so that's mute, again I will repeat, Marketo is all heart but that doesn't cut it he is a reserve grade standard player who gives his all..

7. Glenn01

Glenn01 Juniors

I said "just as fast" but regardless, considering he is probably on a minimum wage and as you said "he gives his all", that is enough for me not to denounce him.

8. possm

possm First Grade

Only the best possible 17 should be picked each week. Form is king and there is absolutely no place for sentiment or loyalty. The best players on the field each week is what we need.

9. Glenn01

Glenn01 Juniors

It seems Trent Merrin is on the outer at Penwiff. Only getting limited game time for a guy who obviously isn't "an impact player". Personally I was never upset about him being let go and I wouldn't swap him for JDB now, even if they were taking up the same amount of salary cap space. I was just upset about letting him and Morris go and only getting a Fijian porter to replace them.

10. possm

possm First Grade

You forget, Doust needed his entertainment fund topped up.

11. Fangs

Fangs Juniors

;)

Merrin got some more minutes today didn't he?

Don't worry, he won't get benched. Chalk another one up for Mary for that call.

12. Fangs

Fangs Juniors

Your recruitment won't be complete until you get a decent coach

dragonssamy61 and possm like this.
  13. Glenn01

Glenn01 Juniors

Well he got benched. For literally half the game last week and for a portion this week. Doesn't matter. I don't care about Penwiff. Just glad they have Merrin on more money than we have JDB for.

14. mickeylane

mickeylane Juniors

I think our recruitment is complete w Hunts arrival - we really need one more strike back...either Centre/5/8 .....I can believe we resigned Aitken

Qdf likes this.
  15. Glenn01

Glenn01 Juniors

I think McIdiot is an incompetent moron but I can't really blame him for signing Aitken. How many halves or outside backs who were apparently going to be stars but in reality were fringe first graders at best were management crucified for letting go of over the last several years? Anyone remember Evander Cummins or Beau Henry?
    But having said that, I agree. Aitken is a bitter disappointment this far and by now, I can't see him getting much better.

16. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Juniors

Aikten is not a centre. To my knowledge he play most of his juniors at lock.

Qdf likes this.
  17. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Juniors

I have no problems what so ever that we will be paying Hunt around 1 mil a season. I would be fine if we spent that on a top fullback and 5/8 too. Those are the positions that we should be spending the big dollars on (as long as they warrant big $) and building a team around.

Qdf likes this.
  18. mickeylane

mickeylane Juniors

I look at pa
    era and lets be serious damage done by 3 players..
    No 7 - Norman
    No 3 - Jennings
    No 1 - French
    No 2 - Radrada

just shows u a top line halfback can do (enter Hunt)
    and a top line centre can do (enter Dugan)
    Fullback? Field?
    Winger - Mcdonald?

19. Fangs

Fangs Juniors

Checked out Trent Merrin's minutes for the first 5 rounds of 2016:

Round 1 - 58 minutes
    Round 2 - 63 minutes
    Round 3 - Injured
    Round 4 - 59 minutes
    Round 5 - 56 minutes

He averaged 66 minutes a game in 2016. Middle and back end of the season he started playing over 70 minutes, sometimes 80.

He ain't on the outer, he is just getting warmed up.

Always been a big JDB fan as well, but he is no Trent Merrin. Not yet anyway.

20. Maxwell

Maxwell Juniors

Seen another jobs for the boys inductee running the water not sure whether it was Holden Cup NSW cup side. None other than Bull Bailey. Their like homing pigeons , they come home to roost

dragonssamy61 and AyiosYiorgos like this.