What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RED V JERSEY

I agree, this years alternative is the best of some shockers! It would simply be easier to reverse the big RedV jersey to a big WhiteV on red. Not rocket science!
For some reason though, we always seem to lose in the predominantly Red strip alternative, maybe it just doesn't provoke passion and pride cause essentially it's marketing gimmick designed by corporate wankers!!!!
When we wear our traditional strip we have all the St.George legends from years gone by looking over us and lifting us over the line to victory. You can feel their presence...
Once we put on the red capsicum outfit, they are not interested because they would never have agreed to a joint venture - ever.
There is only one St. George and only one playing strip.
The rest misguided compromise.

RufusRex

Post Whore
because when the JV was negotiated the jumper was a non negotiable
because our supporter group is the RedV not RedVAtHomeButSomeOtherShiteAway

Our entire branding is around RedV is a part of me.

Seriously pandering to a club that existed for less time than the JV is backward

When we wear our traditional strip we have all the St.George legends from years gone by looking over us and lifting us over the line to victory. You can feel their presence...
Once we put on the red capsicum outfit, they are not interested because they would never have agreed to a joint venture - ever.
There is only one St. George and only one playing strip.
The rest misguided compromise.

You have to give at least a cursory nod to the other side though, one game should be enough, most people in the Gong are drunk most of the time, so they’ll hardly notice it anyway.

because when the JV was negotiated the jumper was a non negotiable
because our supporter group is the RedV not RedVAtHomeButSomeOtherShiteAway

Our entire branding is around RedV is a part of me.

Seriously pandering to a club that existed for less time than the JV is backward

Again I’m pretty sure the NRL mandates that each club has to play a certain number of games in an alternate jersey.
Not saying it’s right, but they have to have one.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Just edge the red V in black for the alternate or break it up with a white line down the middle of the V

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
They cant even get the colour close to red it looks Orange.
At the risk of sounding racist, the pure white with the red V is a great, noble jersey and is different to every other jersey out there. . My least favourite strip is that vomit covered, psychedelic indigenous version we are required to trot out every year

Bench
I don’t remember which ground will be the Marvel ground next year. Will we be required to wear Marvel strips.

Being a St.George boy since birth, I was 16 at the time of the JV (same age as the Steelers club was). Old enough to have followed St.George passionately through my childhood and early teenage years but young enough to get on board with St.George Illawarra.
I had mixed feelings of the JV at the time but overall I was pretty excited, admittedly it was made a hell of a lot easier when in 1999 I saw St.George Illawarra run out as essentially being St.George. Big Red V, St.George emblem above their hearts (with just Illawarra added to the bottom) and being called the Dragons.

It was a fairly simple transition for us St.George faithful really. We were a good exciting team to watch, a GF in season 1 and I remember really getting onboard with it quite easily while at the time feeling extremely sad and sorry for any long time Steelers fans out there. 2000-2003 I remember were harder times, not being as competitive and playing out of the SFS, but ultimately it still felt like St.George.

Being on the hill in my Penfolds jersey didn't look out of place (and still doesn't) where as the old BHP steelers kits did and in a way still kind of do and for anyone from the Gong who'd spent 16 years supporting the one team town Steelers to suddenly look out of place at their traditional home ground in their teams jersey must have been heart breaking! Imagine if in '99 the Illawarra St.George Steelers ran around in a red jersey, it'd have been hard to say the least. Basically they had to get used to cheering on a former rival guised as a new team, and I can speak for myself but I don't think us St.George fans would have been as gracious as they were and as a whole we never give the Steelers fans the credit they deserve to get on board with it as well as they have done over so many years.

I relation to the jersey, although we've always been in the Red V since the 40's and very loosely carried a Dragon mascot pre JV, I felt that before the JV we were simply known as St.George or Saints as a nick name. Our team song is 'When the saints go marching in', our badge says St.George and to this day doesn't say Dragons anywhere, all my merch from a kid says St.George. I've always felt that the 'Dragon' was used as a marketing tool post JV to unite us under one banner and soon after this the mythology and significance of the Red V grew too as a way to hold on to our St.George identity in the merger which, at the time as I said above, was moving further and further away from St.George and Kogarah and more into the SFS and WIN. At the same time, and almost as if in retaliation, the Steelers red became known as 'scarlet' and became more of a louder voice to bring back an identity of a club that didn't really have an identity to begin with.

Unlike St.George wearing a consistent Red V for over 70 years and only ever having two badges, the Steelers in their finally two years of existence re-branded their logo from the original and upgraded their jersey from the two hoops which they claim as an identity to the 3 hoops across the chest and arms. 1982 Steelers and 1998 Steelers look nothing a like.

I love the Red V and I think the history behind it is one that any club would be proud to carry and a big reason as to why I think a lot of old Steelers fans have bought into. I also think that since the premiership in 2010 we all see our history continuing from 1921 to joining with the steelers and to being St.George Illawarra as opposed to hitting refresh in 1998. This is evident that all merch now days reads est.1921 as opposed to 99 as it did in the early days of the JV.

As for this years alternative jersey, I really love it. Remember, that even before the JV, St.George wore lots of alternate jerseys in various 7's and charity shield matches. The Red V isn't going anywhere so no need to panic, this years is the best alternative we've had in a long time and in my honest opinion it's more Illawarra then a 1982 throw back jersey is as I feel that if the Steelers had stood alone and continued down their path that chances are they'd have gone through several jersey changes over the years (like a lot of team do) and our current alternative may have been something they might be wearing today.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
I've always loved the mighty red V .................... however, being that we merged with the Steelers and they too were red & white, I still don't understand why we don't have the red V for our home games and the Steelers jersey for our away games.

Simple stuff that satisfys everyone and looks good.
Maybe its too simple!

Old stock image file............

r0_0_1728_1152_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Footnote - ( This is not OKB in image )
Agree 100%, it's not a difficult concept is it. Well for our board, maybe it is.

Gareth67

First Grade
image.jpg

One of the bad points of any of the newer jerseys is the actual emblem itself . The old 'blood & guts ' had the emblem that was far more appealing , it is only a minor detail but when the players wore those jerseys they played like champions ! The new emblem does not inspire me at all , it simply is part of what the NRL (?) has rolled out on their production line and said this is it . Not good enough , in my view the club should return to the old emblem .

View attachment 20500

One of the bad points of any of the newer jerseys is the actual emblem itself . The old 'blood & guts ' had the emblem that was far more appealing , it is only a minor detail but when the players wore those jerseys they played like champions ! The new emblem does not inspire me at all , it simply is part of what the NRL (?) has rolled out on their production line and said this is it . Not good enough , in my view the club should return to the old emblem .

To be fair we've had our current emblem since 1979 (long before the NRL) and won a premiership in it that year and of all the club badges going around I think we're one of the few (Souths being the other) who's still got a traditional non NRL-ified club badge. I'm very proud that we never went down the cartoony American-ised NFL style logo with a big Dragon on it that a lot of other teams did in the post Super League era (Canberra, Sharks, Roosters, Bulldogs, Tigers, Panthers and so on.) I'm liking that a few teams have reverted back to their old logos like the Eels but it baffles me why the Rosters haven't done so as they old logo is all over their training and supporter gear but not the jersey.

But I agree with you, our 11 in a row era logo is a thing of beauty! I'd love to see it on our a jersey again full time and a part of me thinks that if we stood alone that in 2021 we'd have it on there for 100 years of St.George but with the joint venture it'll sadly never happen, but it's been nice seeing it make its away back onto some of the merch :)