What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe put their hand up

jim_57

Staff member
It will be redcliffe and they will be called the dolphins.
Calling a redcliffe team Brisbane is like calling penrith Sydney ffs.
Also only the four biggest games should be played at Lang park the rest at dolphin oval which will have a capacity of 25-30k by the time the upgrades are finished. Which is ample

It won't be any of those because the NRL isn't going to accept a stand alone Redcliffe as an expansion team when they have the whole of Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich, Sunny Coast etc to play with for any Bris2/SEQ3 team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
South Queensland Jets playing out of Suncorp incorporating Ipswich colours and having their HQ and training base in Ipswich with feeder link ups with clubs in the S corridor region from Logan to Ipswich. Otherwise you might as well go with a generic non location specific brand like Brisbane Bombers.

jim_57

Staff member
South Queensland Jets playing out of Suncorp incorporating Ipswich colours and having their HQ and training base in Ipswich with feeder link ups with clubs in the S corridor region from Logan to Ipswich. Otherwise you might as well go with a generic non location specific brand like Brisbane Bombers.

I'm not so sure on South Queensland as a name, feels a bit "GWS", too broad and also the association with Crushers could be best avoided.

In saying that I don't have many better ideas for a South-West based team. Would South West Jets or simply Western Jets be so bad if having "Brisbane" is the name is a dirty word?

DlEHARD

Juniors
I'm not so sure on South Queensland as a name, feels a bit "GWS", too broad and also the association with Crushers could be best avoided.

In saying that I don't have many better ideas for a South-West based team. Would South West Jets or simply Western Jets be so bad if having "Brisbane" is the name is a dirty word?

I think it may be a problem if we have West Coast and Wests Tigers in the comp. I think South Queensland is ok myself.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Best option imo is to have the second team called Brisbane (anything but the Bombers) with all games at Suncorp. The key is to sign as many queenslanders as possible, espeically targeting QLD origin players. With a popular QLD coach aswell.

Having lived in QLD Queenslanders love there own and I wound't be suprised if many jump ship from the Broncos if there a "true QLD team". I have met people who refused to support the Titans because they wear blue. I have mates who were upset the Broncos signed Bird because he's from NSW.

I think other options like Redlciffe or Ipswich have the potential to isolate or not include many fans who might be looking to jump ship or don't like the Broncos.

Spot on! Redcliffe are a great club - no doubt about that at all but their location isolates them. We don't need another suburban club in the NRL drawing 12 - 15k crowds - in any city. The only hope I see for Redcliffe is to play their blockbusters (Broncos, Cowboys, Titans, Warriors, Storm) at Suncorp and the rest at Dolphin Oval (which will need its capacity increased to 20k). That could work and would give them a nice 20 - 30k average. And no, Redcliffe will not change their name to Moreton Bay or anything else. They are the Redcliffe Dolphins, they have made that quite clear.

Other than that option - it is Brisbane 2 playing out of Suncorp. Hopefully member or QRL owned club - a real footy team like you said that focuses on Queenslanders and becomes Brisbane's true team.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Redcliffe is a large area and growing fast. Already with excellent facilities in place and the new train line. Northlakes is a 5min drive down the road ffs. Has anyone commenting ever been to redcliffe especially in the last couple of years?

ReddFelon

Juniors
Redcliffe is a large area and growing fast. Already with excellent facilities in place and the new train line. Northlakes is a 5min drive down the road ffs. Has anyone commenting ever been to redcliffe especially in the last couple of years?

I have, it's nice but my question is, if there's supposedly this huge number of Brisbane league fans who love the sport but hate the Broncos how do I get the fans from Ipswich and Logan to support Redcliffe?

jim_57

Staff member

That's great, but why would the NRL give a very rare expansion spot to a team that isn't willing to let others in on their party? Redcliffe Dolphins are a great second tier club but they need to offer a bit more to ever stand a chance at an NRL license.

The Western Corridor bid gets it, that's why they're targetting the whole Ipswich & Logan areas as well as Toowoomba and South West QLD, not just 'Ipswich Jets'. The only way Redcliffe could rival that is by expanding their targeted catchment area to the Moreton Bay region, Far North Brisbane suburbs, Sunshine Coast and as far as Gympie & Bundaberg for community engagements and the odd trial match.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Ipswich hate Brisbane with a State of Origin like passion - I like your idea but I can't see them giving up 'their' Jets to play at Suncorp.

That is the tough spot Redcliffe and Ipswich are in - by far the biggest QRL teams and best placed to go up into the NRL if it is going to be a QRL team but neither will want to compromise their brand and therefore we will most likely end up with either the Bombers or a Bombers style scenario.

The only thing I can see is Redcliffe (playing as Redcliffe Dolphins) playing their four or five biggest marquee games at Suncorp each year and the rest at Dolphin Oval (upgraded to hold 20k). Interestingly enough, if it is the Dolphins they will be one of only two NRL clubs to own their own stadium.

Ipswich hate Brisbane with a State of Origin like passion - I like your idea but I can't see them giving up 'their' Jets to play at Suncorp.

That is the tough spot Redcliffe and Ipswich are in - by far the biggest QRL teams and best placed to go up into the NRL if it is going to be a QRL team but neither will want to compromise their brand and therefore we will most likely end up with either the Bombers or a Bombers style scenario.

The only thing I can see is Redcliffe (playing as Redcliffe Dolphins) playing their four or five biggest marquee games at Suncorp each year and the rest at Dolphin Oval (upgraded to hold 20k). Interestingly enough, if it is the Dolphins they will be one of only two NRL clubs to own their own stadium.

If Redcliffe won’t look beyond their current boundaries then no way should they be given a licence.

How involved are the jets with the western corridor bid? Is someone else involved or just them?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If Redcliffe won’t look beyond their current boundaries then no way should they be given a licence.

How involved are the jets with the western corridor bid? Is someone else involved or just them?

Yes, the Western Corrdior bid is closely linked to the Ipswich Jets but it wants to include Logan (two different cities which is a mistake in my view - spreading themselves too thin and ending up with a nothing identity). They plan to play out of Suncorp and then will eventually push to have a stadium built at Springwood (half-way between Ipswich and Logan).

The bastardising of the Ipswich Jets brand, the spreading of the brand too thin and the intention to not play out of Suncorp turns me off this bid. Although, I agree that any team representing Ipswich and / or Logan should not be playing out of Suncorp, the next Brisbane team has to create a city rival for the Broncs and utilise Suncorp or there is no point - we just have yet another suburban club in the NRL with a relatively low ceilling to their growth.

Unfortunately, the time for Redcliffe, Ipswich and a Brisbane Q Cup team to enter the NRL was in the 1980's instead of the Broncos. It would have been great to merge the biggest three SEQ clubs with the then 13 NSWRL clubs in 1988 to form a national comp and then expanded from there.

Yes, the Western Corrdior bid is closely linked to the Ipswich Jets but it wants to include Logan (two different cities which is a mistake in my view - spreading themselves too thin and ending up with a nothing identity). They plan to play out of Suncorp and then will eventually push to have a stadium built at Springwood (half-way between Ipswich and Logan).

The bastardising of the Ipswich Jets brand, the spreading of the brand too thin and the intention to not play out of Suncorp turns me off this bid. Although, I agree that any team representing Ipswich and / or Logan should not be playing out of Suncorp, the next Brisbane team has to create a city rival for the Broncs and utilise Suncorp or there is no point - we just have yet another suburban club in the NRL with a relatively low ceilling to their growth.

Unfortunately, the time for Redcliffe, Ipswich and a Brisbane Q Cup team to enter the NRL was in the 1980's instead of the Broncos. It would have been great to merge the biggest three SEQ clubs with the then 13 NSWRL clubs in 1988 to form a national comp and then expanded from there.

Yeah the more I think about Brisbane the more a geographical team feels like a mistake.

The differentiation to the broncos needs to be ownership based, otherwise it’s being set up as a poor cousin.

Play out of Suncorp with a members ownership model, full voting rights for members, not glorified season ticket holders.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think a SQ Jets is a good compromise between tapping into some history so its not just a new Brisbane brand but keeping it geographically broad enough that RL fans right through the western corridor feel a connection. Calling it Ipswich will limit its population appeal too much, calling it Brisbane Jets will not go down well by sound of it so it will need to be something like SQ. If Jets don't want it fair enough move on to whoever does.

I think a SQ Jets is a good compromise between tapping into some history so its not just a new Brisbane brand but keeping it geographically broad enough that RL fans right through the western corridor feel a connection. Calling it Ipswich will limit its population appeal too much, calling it Brisbane Jets will not go down well by sound of it so it will need to be something like SQ. If Jets don't want it fair enough move on to whoever does.

I remember asking a few Brisbane people in the past, I don’t think anyone identifies with “south Queensland”

Feels a bit “Greater Western Sydney” to me, a forced nomenclature.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I remember asking a few Brisbane people in the past, I don’t think anyone identifies with “south Queensland”

Feels a bit “Greater Western Sydney” to me, a forced nomenclature.

I think the point is you don't have to identify with it, you just don't want to be excluded by it. So if I'm from Ipswich or Logan regions then SQ Jets are my choice over Brisbane Broncos. If it is called Ipswich Jets it may exclude anyone not from Ipswich.

We went with West Coast to appeal to the entire WA RL community and not exclude anyone outside the city by calling them Perth Pirates.

I don't know the level of parochialism in that region to know if that would happen tbh. It didn't in perth, Freo became the team for all of the South of river region and anyone who didnt like the Eagles regardless if you lived in Freo or the other suburbs. Didn't hurt that you could get an eagles ticketed membership of course so for any new who wanted to go to games, Freo was the only option.

I think the point is you don't have to identify with it, you just don't want to be excluded by it. So if I'm from Ipswich or Logan regions then SQ Jets are my choice over Brisbane Broncos. If it is called Ipswich Jets it may exclude anyone not from Ipswich.

I don't know the level of parochialism in that region to know if that would happen tbh. It didn't in perth, Freo became the team for all of the South of river region and anyone who didnt like the Eagles regardless if you lived in Freo or the other suburbs. Didn't hurt that you could get an eagles ticketed membership of course so for any new who wanted to go to games, Freo was the only option.

Maybe you don’t need to, but tribalism is helped if people identify with it, and the more people the better.

I agree on not using a name that’s too limiting, but I’d be careful about using a name people don’t think is them.

taipan

Referee

And who would be the other NRL club?;)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe you don’t need to, but tribalism is helped if people identify with it, and the more people the better.

I agree on not using a name that’s too limiting, but I’d be careful about using a name people don’t think is them.

yes and no, I believe traditional tribalism in the modern day is out dated concept. We are far less directly connected these days and pick our "tribes" on lots of things with geography being just one, and a diminishing one given the nature of communications and the virtual world. Reality is the biggest sports clubs are often the ones with the broadest reach and often more generic or regionally encompassing names. Its only if you have 5 or in NRL's case nine teams in one city you need to get much smaller and more geographically specific. And even then the likes of South Sydney have broken out of their limited geographical catchment into being a city wide and much broader appealing club.