What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Trex is a different sort of species compared to those two. Fifita has had a massive motor from the start (has cracked 50+ tackles more than a few times which is phenominal for a bloke his size), the challenge has been to get him to pull his head in and be smart with his offloading. Prior still worked hard at the dragons but he was just a powderpuff most of the time, not sure whether he is managed to shake some ailments off or been thrashed harder in the weights room to get some more mmph out of him but the hitups/tackle counts haven't really changed but his metres gained and linebreaks/tries went up substantially.

Apart from a purple patch of destruction at manly the Trex doesn't have a big motor to build off, has the power and strength to match the current dally m winner but just isn't interested in using it. Not sure if the same tactics will work.

POPEYE

Coach
Turbo Jake won't need much luck cementing a place as a Kangaroo, a legs tackler is a rare bird these days. Big blokes that can get up and down for more than 60 minutes at a time will hopefully return to the game if interchange goes as it should. NSW have nothing to lose by also making the bloke a regular

Steve Mortimer was every bit as great a halfback as Sterling, different attributes maybe but the job done nevertheless, makes you wonder what he means by the Dogs 'losing their DNA'. Does he mean CB is losing the fearsome stamina based culture it was renowned for in the 80's or does he mean CB is going down the f**king gurgler for the same reason Australian Boxing has

I don't think the Roos can get over the Kiwi pack but that doesn't mean Australia won't win, thank f**k Maloney is not a NZ'r. I like to imagine what would happen to Matadors if someone bred intelligent bulls, there'd be no contest . . . lucky for Shaun he doesn't get stabbed while waiting for a good day

Hutty1986

Immortal
That NZ pack is just unbelievable pops. You think you've done a good job to handle the starters then the blokes on the bench are just as big & powerful.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
you'd think kearney would take a page out of greens book and work a similar interchange plan for taumololo to come in in the last 15 minutes after a rest and raise hell.

myrrh ken

First Grade
That NZ pack is just unbelievable pops. You think you've done a good job to handle the starters then the blokes on the bench are just as big & powerful.

Just play fast tempo like sharks did against storm and cowboys. the same big fellas didn't like it.

easier said than done I suppose.

POPEYE

Coach
Inglis would have no chance of 4 more years in Melbourne and Bellamy would've told him never at Fullback, even on a good set of legs. Players that turn like the Titanic are not suited to a constant change in field position and Greg lost the ability to play #1 regularly before he left Vic.

The only reason I can see why he wants to play Fullback for Souths is he needs to be excused now and again, the same reason Reynolds is comfortable in the joint. Greg could have a blinder against the Kiwis but even Meninga knows he wouldn't do it running the gauntlet from the back of the field . . . and Mal is only a Claytons coach like Bozo was

Not sure the name Gidley is synonymous with success, the Knights are in a perfect position to do a 'Cronulla' or even a 'Titans' if Brown is as capable as Flanagan/Henry. Being an outpost club it's hard to understand why Newcastle doesn't have a gigantic Us Against The World culture that attracts all kinds of opportunistic players . . . the joint needs some fire and brimstone, not be a haven for jobs for the boys

Lock up your playmakers, Des is going to have to grow a spine in an awful hurry and he won't find the makings at the local supermarket. He needs players that can understand mumbling, he doesn't have the luxury of having Toovey give on-field instructions so he needs a Thurston/Maloney/Cronk or a reasonable fascimile

POPEYE

Coach
It's f**king depressing seeing a great pack of forwards being wasted with Dumb & Dumber in the halves, still I watched the game knowing what was going to happen so more fool me . . . that's what I get for wanting the Kiwis to win

POPEYE

Coach
This should probably be in another forum but you don't want a soc wandering around all over the place so I'll stay where I can be ignored. What RL needs is international games being decided by 6 points or less, a blowout should be an anomaly, to have viewers changing channels 15 from the end like I did is worse for the game than Putin and Trump as opposites will be for the world

I refuse to read anything about last night's game, I can imagine the Kiwi forwards getting a lambasting over dropped balls and not living up to expectations. Doesn't matter that they had to think for themselves the part of the game I watched, any wonder they ran out of options, it was like watching someone throw good food away in Ethiopia

At least it didn't take long for slow learners to finally realise Inglis is only a Centre and Johnson will only ever be smart enough to be a Centre/Fullback . . . if he learnt to tackle and didn't mind being tackled. Holmes is in the G&G to stay, Boyd should be and the Australian spine is as good as it ever was

POPEYE

Coach
The last time I watched RL with one eye I actually travelled to Belmore to see the Eels play home games, the last time Parramatta were homeless, that's f**king dedication for you. Eels playing out of ANZ won't be a drama, they use hardly any local born'n'breds these days . . . they could be playing out of Perth for all I care, still my dream team for '17

Crikey there's some shit headlines doing the rounds, can't blame me for adding to it. How about Inglis the key to the Roos', the bloke looked like 3rd man in a gang bang in Perth . . . hanging around has its advantages.

Who'da guessed Bird jumped before he was pushed, if he's allowed entry into France he'll look back and give the NRL the finger in the same way Semi will when he finally becomes Unionised

What about the f**king tripe being dished up about Kidwell, it's only because he has trouble constructing a sentence that he's being blamed for the Kiwi Crash, the only way Tuamalolo could have saved the day was if he could have fitted into a #7 jumper. All Kidwell had to do was give the grand final winning coach a call, he knows how to hook a dud

POPEYE

Coach
I suppose if Australia is allowed to have Cummins/Suttons the Poms should have Hicks/Thaler. When Sutton was good he was the fairest and Thaler is as good but Cummins and Hicks are rubbish imo. The best English referees are too good to be allowed to officiate when a fair contest is not always the best thing for international RL . . . long live Silverwood and Bentham

Dave Taylor played some good footy for Catalans, if he plays some good footy for Sticky for just some money he could be something. Raiders fans need to look on the bright side of life, Dave could be the beginning of a new breed of player, a Rugby League Temp. Come in with all guns blazing for a season and ride off into the sunset for the next . . . the bloke could cause the right kind of damage in short stints

What else was there . . . a headline that Euan Aitken is looking forward to playing against Dugan when Scotland meet Australia. It will be about as fair an indication as having Rosberg on a Speedwell against Rothfield in a Ferrari. I'd bet London to a brick on that Bellamy would turn his nose up at Dugan but would welcome Aitken with open arms

POPEYE

Coach
I guess I won't mind too much if the Titans poach Proctor, no other team though, they are kind of deserving of some dispensation in my loathing of teams that won't get off their arse and dig around for new talent. The GC has been used by Storm players to make idiots of the media before, now that Melbourne are equal with the best at skulduggery money isn't a problem, be a shame to see Henry used as an upgrade crow bar

We all know Bellamy won't have any trouble discovering a replacement forward, usually right under the nose of the Warriors. If nothing else when Proctor comes up with 'just joking' Henry will still have the last laugh, making room for Kevin put a Bird in the bush

I f**king knew it, watching the Cutters win the Interstate Cup you'd have to have rocks in your head not to wish Shaun Nona was a Dragon. Melbourne didn't have the room/time for him, there's only so many hours in a day, let's hope the crush the young fella has on Demetriou doesn't hinder this move . . . then again, there's a way to rectify that

I give up on Kidwell, not only does he talk like a dope he is one . . . or at least a lousy, desperate purveyor of reverse psychology. I hate kicking a dead horse but saying Johnson is not the one responsible is akin to 'sorry darling, I tried to pull out in time'

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
I don't think he is trying reverse psychology. Even with the selective media bites & headline, I think Kidwell knows very well what Johnson's strengths and weaknesses are. He's quite right, to get the only value Johnson has - opportunistic, dazzling runs or finishing off immense go-forward, everyone else has to be doing their job and not relying on him to pull one out to get them out of trouble. I doubt this kiwi team doesn't know that or will depend on it. They have under 2 weeks to gel - we'll see if it comes off

POPEYE

Coach
The position Johnson plays requires an inordinate amount of 'do-or-die', he mightn't be as smart as Cronk, Thurston or Maloney but if he thinks he deserves the same accolades he's going to have to bleed for his mob. I reckon he's one of the most exciting players I've seen but he's not comfortable making the demands the real halves do.

Occasionally opportunistic as opposed to regularly creating opportunities is the difference between Centre and Half . . . he could make a good Half if he did what was necessary instead of what he can get away with

POPEYE

Coach
F**ked if I know why any straight shooter with a quid would go to Bali, I can understand ferals with the arse out of their pants who like to brag about affording the high life going there. Munster can afford to fall off a scooter on the Sunshine Coast, plenty of skirt and the locals won't pretend not to hate him

Normally I wouldn't give a shit, the media have about as much influence on my life as a Kardashian, I do however worry that if Munster is to learn how to be a Half he's going to have to avoid doing silly f**king things and going dopey places . . . neither are conducive

As you can see I'm running out of ideas . . . maybe a hiatus is called for

POPEYE

Coach
Naivety is not a bad thing, no worse than differing opinions, plenty of people have offered me the use of their eyes. Just as I struggle to understand social media I'm content to finish my time with the eyes I started with.

Mal and others can lecture all they want about an ideal RL world order. Playing for Australia, winning a gf, playing Origin and winning The Shield as an order from best to worst is merely naïve bullshit as far as I'm concerned. Then again I'm definitely in the minority in lots of things, I piss myself laughing over religion, money making and social order among other instances

So, my eyes tell me that a footballer who carries good form over 26 Shield rounds is the best he can be. If as a result he stands out enough to be selected for Origin's 3 match cauldron that's the 2nd best he can hope for and a result of that could have him rewarded with an Australian jumper as a token of good will . . . imo that's the real order of importance if you care about the game of RL

What did I forget, there was a trinket handed out for being in the right place at the right time but it is inconsequential in the scheme of things . . . the best player in the game knows that, don't have to take my word for it

POPEYE

Coach
Crikey, I thought the last post might get a nibble, I had a the journey should be at least as satisfying as the destination retort in mind . . . the plans of mice and men

Pickings are slim; what about 'Andrew might go to Wakefield'. David is ESL quality but is Andrew too good. Reminds me of Baby Faced Bad Boy Boyd, the bloke became a cult figure in England, Warrington supporters wanted a statue of him erected when he played more games for them than anyone else. He was too good for England and he had the last laugh

Might not work, Les was a great bloke off the field and the Poms couldn't understand what all the f**king drama was about. Andrew however is not smart enough to wear lace up shoes, if he gets the shits when we shun him imagine what his indignation will cause if the lowly Poms pick on him for an indiscretion on a darts night out

Then again, Foran is going on self-imposed exile in NZ, we all know he wants to link up with Des when the heat dies down, why shouldn't Fifita join his brother for the same reason, come back like a shiny new f**king penny . . . could become the next Killer

POPEYE

Coach
Headlines are hardly worth skimming over even if you're a brainwashed one eyed believer, The Pearl is bemused by Benny who is definitely up to something . . . but then he needs to be. Whatever it is he'll never top bringing Langer back to conquer NSW, maybe that's the reason the great man appears delusional. F**k old age

I accidentally noticed a headline Buzzing around inferring French will be the 'new Hayne'. Crikey let's hope not, Parramatta need that like the world needs Trump, Henry is probably already regretting Jarryd The Great has made himself indispensable in his own mind to the GC.

There are lots of attractions in the joint you have to wait patiently to see, Movie & Sea Worlds for instance, like Jarryd they become overrated if you expect something new every visit. Methinks Bevan will be better value for money if you like 80 minute footballers, he won't think in limbo is cool

POPEYE

Coach
" Hutchinson deserves Dragon's #7; Dugan". It's a known fact that blood runs from the brain to tattoos, so the more of the latter the more the former struggles. Duges however could be on to something, if he had less ink he might suggest to Mary that Nona should wear the #6 and Widdop the #9

Mitchell Pearce admits he was the major cause . . . Crikey, he wouldn't be a Major in any army of mine. The reason the Roosters fell from grace is Major Maloney was refused an upgrade to Colonel. After all the shit he caused the dopey Mitch still believes his army was 'his' army

Kangaroos training in unbelievable luxury . . . what does that tell us. Imagine if Soccer was just a game for wankers in Europe as it is here in Australia and League was 'the sport to play'. Hate to imagine where all the best RL players would be with multi-million dollar transfers the go

Least . . . and it is the very least. "Kiwis need to play smarter": Johnson. There are so many sentences in this story that are a substitute for shoving fingers down your throat, worthy of pinning on the dunny wall. If Shaun thought "We" as many times on the field as he said it off the field . . . wtf, far be it from me to be critical

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Unfortunately for SJ he is a myth created by a whole country (well, Auckland) when he could have been/ could be a legend yet lol.
Far away from anything remotely Auckland (in real NZ) there are still 8, 9 and 12 year old imaginations recreating SJ moves out in the yard (although Milford, Mitchell, Pongia, Munster and a few others now make up the team numbers)...
You of all people know that media-speak is breakfast fodder, about as tasty as the cardboard sugar that passes for breakfast cereals. They learn to say 'we' and all the other cliché' d phrases in the game and the media moves the chess pieces to try to make the game look like an intellectual contest.

Not holding my breath but got my fingers crossed anyway :p that SJ pulls his moves out in the best possible way over the coming month so we have some grandchildren dreaming the dream a little longer...

Latest posts