What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
You might be able to fit Gt Britain into Victoria and England will go almost twice but size doesn't matter if national pride is aroused. Easy to forget RL is about as highly regarded in GB as it is in Victoria, Victorians know Australia has the best national team so why bother soiling their hands, Knockonathon is easier to play

What's the point you ask, simple really, in a country where RL is a minnow it is f**king nonsense to separate 'states'. Australia could send Qld and NSW to play in the RL World Cup as separate entities and they would play each other in the final

At least turn the Poms into Brits and give the poor f**kers the opportunity to stir the whole joint into some sort of frenzy, GB must surely have a little bit more than half the chance England has

Last edited:

ed-grimley

Bench
You might be able to fit Gt Britain into Victoria and England will go almost twice but size doesn't matter if national pride is aroused. Easy to forget RL is about as highly regarded in GB as it is in Victoria, Victorians know Australia has the best national team so why bother soiling their hands, Knockonathon is easier to play

What's the point you ask, simple really, in a country where RL is a minnow it is f**king nonsense to separate 'states'. Australia could send Qld and NSW to play in the RL World Cup as separate entities and they would play each other in the final

At least turn the Poms into Brits and give the poor f**kers the opportunity to stir the whole joint into some sort of frenzy, GB must surely have a little bit more than half the chance England has
Good idea - it would solve a lot of problems.

POPEYE

Coach
I think you may have enough problems of your own ol' mate. I'm advocating RL should forget trying to make up numbers, every current NRL player that is even just the result of a one night stand with a GB parent should be eligible to play for GB, not Scotland, England or Wales

Kane Linnett for instance played well enough and deserved better than just playing for Scotland, he is good enough to play for GB. Australia is the best because it's second best aren't allowed to play against them, if some of the 'seconds' have a sparrow fart of British ancestry let them play for GB . . . who gives a f**k if we have to trace them back to the convicts to get a contest

POPEYE

Coach
Seems the flavour of '17 may be the Knights now that the Titans are well and truly on the road to recovery and the Sharks have the monkey off their back. Many bush people regard Newcastle as 'country' and although they're going through a glitch at the moment like Canberra their resurgence will come

It would be remiss of me not to mention that Newcastle's population is only slightly over 300k, at the moment more than the combined stone's throw in bush terms of Bathurst/Orange/Dubbo at 250k. Not sure why I mention the comparison, maybe it's because no matter the struggle country people will always turn up in droves to support top grade RL given the chance

POPEYE

Coach
Not sure why anyone should get their knickers in a knot over the '17 draw just as I'm not sure Hasler was coaching Manly when Toovey was directing traffic on the field. It's said that Toddy has given Des the easiest run for next year but there are so many variables in a chaotic comp that doesn't have each team play the rest twice why give a shit . . . it is what it is

The Dogs could be disadvantaged by not playing the best twice, their players could be made to look better than they are and have to represent more in Origin, which as we know is a f**king ball'n'chain. If they run roughshod over the less fortunate there is then complacency to worry about . . . the Dogs' Achille's heel.

No team should be overly concerned with the draw, it's just another frivolent media beat-up, injury is by far the most formidable obstacle to prepare as best as possible against. Toddy's efforts are marbles played on the NASA launch pad in comparison

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
Is there a list of duties for RL administrators, who does what in layman terms, do we need such complication for the good of the game or does it make passing the buck easier. Are too many cooks spoiling the broth, getting in each other's way or more sinisterly justifying their existence

Genuine questions from a soc not bothered with research . . . someone please enlighten me

POPEYE

Coach
Although I consider NFL to be right up there with Golf, lacking a constant elevated heart rate which denotes my idea of 'sport', I wish any RL player attempting to join in the money making good luck. Still, if RL rivalled NFL in America as Baseball does imagine the coin Thurston would be on

If such a situation existed I also imagine all the great Aussie players would rush to play RL in the States, not NFL . . . because we from down-under know stamina is taught from a young age and if NFL and League were on the same financial reward footing which game is the least boring

In saying that, all the best of luck to any RL player having a go because they are badly underpaid here in comparison

POPEYE

Coach
Kearney says "Our attitude needs to change" which really means "Every man and his f**king dog has tried to change 'The Warrior Way' and I'm going to be the first to make it happen" . . . lotsa luck ol' mate

I wish the bloke luck because I was a fan of the way he walked the walk as a player, I've always liked the way he talks the talk even through the Eels debacle and only a ratbag wouldn't give him some credit for the way the Kiwis played before Kidwell

I'm confident Kearney will sort out the Johnson Syndrome simply by forcing the players to choose him over Shaun. If Foran wasn't a social f**kwit and Cronk was a Kiwi we'd be talking cheese instead of chalk, it's up to Kearney to find a fix for that one and only major problem

Naturally my solution would be to import a playmaker like Corey Norman who was languishing before his current gig, Foran is the closest NZ has got to a 'smart' half so that speaks for itself. I wonder by 'attitude' does Kearney mean the same attitude that has kids of Islander heritage running over the top of players in Little League . . . won't grow a footy brain doing that . . . or by being a touch footy legend

POPEYE

Coach
John Quayle was always a favourite player of mine, a Steve Menzies type for those not old enough to remember, an unassuming nature mixed with a bagful of talent was all the resume he needed. He missed out becoming a regular in the best RL team of all time so far, the Gibson Roosters of the mid 70's, because there were too many great players to choose from

As bad luck would have it he then went to Parramatta, his determination there gave me the best memories I have of him. What's the point you ask. Quayle has done extraordinarily well in a career on and off the field, not sure he needs to become the top man for the NRL, he's too good a bloke to waste his remaining years as a shit carter

As far as I'm concerned John has never had the good luck he deserved, the Internet will testify to that, which is the reason I'd hate to see him thrown to the f**king wolves now

ed-grimley

Bench
I think you may have enough problems of your own ol' mate. I'm advocating RL should forget trying to make up numbers, every current NRL player that is even just the result of a one night stand with a GB parent should be eligible to play for GB, not Scotland, England or Wales

Kane Linnett for instance played well enough and deserved better than just playing for Scotland, he is good enough to play for GB. Australia is the best because it's second best aren't allowed to play against them, if some of the 'seconds' have a sparrow fart of British ancestry let them play for GB . . . who gives a f**k if we have to trace them back to the convicts to get a contest
Like English cricket you mean?

POPEYE

Coach
Sorry ol' mate, I forgot what we were talking about, you're reaction times will have to be quicker than that. Cricket you say . . . is it anything like the Big Bash . . . something I can tolerate for a couple of hours

POPEYE

Coach
Headline surfing, which is more than the off-season media deserve, has Darius down for Bronco's (C) next year. Can't see anything wrong with that, the whole team knows Benny likes to kick for goal at every opportunity so the #1's decision making would have to be an honorary role anyway

Does make you wonder what happened to the old time Captain's job though, although Darius is consistently the new best #1 caretaker while Slater decides his future I'm not sure Benny really wants anyone on the field stealing his thunder. Methinks in Benny's f**k-anyone-who-puts-shit-on-me mind making his adopted son Captain is just another 'f**k youse all'

A fit Billy, if he caught the 'homesick' bug, would be capable of leading the Broncos. He is already easily the best caller of defence in the game and does have some good ideas his team mates take notice of. Darius on the other hand is a perfect example of head down arse up application that only succeeds without distractions.

No sir, if Benny's mob fail it will be because 'the players didn't listen' to him, how could Darius seriously be the catalyst for Brisbane's ride down Glory Road . . . there's only one driver of the Red Hill Racer

POPEYE

Coach
Radradra wanting to play Union is not a demonistic thing so why should he be demonised, the bloke reckons he has too many mouths to feed in Fiji to play RL, whatever the reason his heart's not in it so let him piss off and give someone else a chance. It's at the stage the bloke has been given advice not to antagonise Australian courts, he will have to pretend like Trump to pull himself out of the shit he's in

At a glance I noticed Rotfield is sending an open letter to Grant. Reminds me of the time a lady answered the door to a man propping up her badly inebriated husband. The stranger says "After watching your man fall down in a pub too many times to count I just had to bring him home". "F**k him", says the woman, "did you bring his wheelchair" . . . I'm sure Grant will tip the 'Telegraph' delivery driver

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Kearney says "Our attitude needs to change" which really means "Every man and his f**king dog has tried to change 'The Warrior Way' and I'm going to be the first to make it happen" . . . lotsa luck ol' mate

I wish the bloke luck because I was a fan of the way he walked the walk as a player, I've always liked the way he talks the talk even through the Eels debacle and only a ratbag wouldn't give him some credit for the way the Kiwis played before Kidwell

I'm confident Kearney will sort out the Johnson Syndrome simply by forcing the players to choose him over Shaun. If Foran wasn't a social f**kwit and Cronk was a Kiwi we'd be talking cheese instead of chalk, it's up to Kearney to find a fix for that one and only major problem

Naturally my solution would be to import a playmaker like Corey Norman who was languishing before his current gig, Foran is the closest NZ has got to a 'smart' half so that speaks for itself. I wonder by 'attitude' does Kearney mean the same attitude that has kids of Islander heritage running over the top of players in Little League . . . won't grow a footy brain doing that . . . or by being a touch footy legend

The hard word has been given, no exceptions, so will be interesting to watch developments.
The last two top of the list.
Was gutted he left the Kiwis (and how did that work out? :rolleyes:) but pleased for the Warriors. The next couple of years will be telling

POPEYE

Coach
Knights are going to have to bite the bullet with Mullen, wouldn't matter if he was as great a player as some people say he is. Playmakers on and off like a light switch just keeps the rest of the players in the dark, surely they should've learnt from Gidley's cameo performances over the years, waiting on Mullen does more harm than good

Stuffed if I know why Ponga's old man would want to place his son in such a negatively driven club any sooner than necessary, there's nothing to learn but despair in Newcastle. It's a pity the salary cap isn't paid in retrospect, more youngsters might be given a shot if clubs only had to pay up for the games players actually play

POPEYE

Coach
Finally, something worth talking about, Mary has just about finished his book of excuses. Let's hope getting involved with player contract negotiations was the reason a wheel fell off his coach's chariot after getting away to a good start

Be great to see the Dragons justify their existence once again, must admit I jumped on the 'Mary Merry-go-round' when it was brand new, McGregor's choice of bells and whistles turned out to be mediocre at best. After all, Bellamy claims he doesn't have anything to do with negotiations and Meninga has servants to buy in the food . . . if the two most appreciated coaches at the moment don't get their hands dirty what the f**k was Mary thinking

POPEYE

Coach
Show me someone in McKinnon's position that wouldn't see his only recourse as sueing and I'll show .you an idiot . . . Merry Xmas one and all

POPEYE

Coach
Son-in-law 'bellyache' (Roosters) on Santa's day couldn't resist demonstrating to his brother-in-law (Seagles) how happy he was Hastings was dragged away to Brookie . . . of course the answer to that was player uncertainty is the least of Manly's problems

After he made his point bellyache, who like me only considers Hayne and Inglis as Centres, suggested that Jackson might make a good #9. Of course he would have to start off as a #14 and catch everyone by surprise but stranger things have happened

It seems like yesterday Jackson's old man Horrie was the best player never to have played for Australia, the hardest working Halfback in the game couldn't oust his more cunning rivals. Maybe if Jackson could replicate his father's stamina he might grow into a #9, he couldn't be any slower between the ears than Friend and look where he is