What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
I don't venture much outside this forum so if there is a dedicated 9's on LU it is as foreign as a Storm one . . . I take it there is a Melbourne forum. Anyway, I'm happy with the squad the Storm are sending and glad to see most clubs are using the 9's wisely

Hayne reckons Johnson, two of my favourite people, is the best 9's player on the planet. I'd rather go with Bevan French and with Norman having to play catch-up the Eels imo look the goods. With Thurston playing the Cowboys the next best.

The real winner will probably be anyone's guess

POPEYE

Coach
How f**king good are the Fiji RU 7's team to watch. I'm all for NRL teams not risking established players in the 9's so all the more reason to include teams from Fiji/Samoa/Tonga/PNG. Who gives a shit if they may be outclassed and even outgunned without their NRL players.

What an opportunity for RL to give these Islanders a chance in a game that doesn't need stringent structures, without the need for 13 man game plodders many more talented backs may be discovered

POPEYE

Coach
I can't sit through a game of 15 man Union, even the bleeding cup, did however watch most of the 7's. Why, because I'm starved of anything resembling RL and the 7's are close enough. Said probably too many times I wouldn't give a shit if contracted NRL players don't play in the 9's, this time of year only pretend supporters of RL would whinge

An 'Origin Interval' which included an extended 9's including everyone that should be included, teams from the Pacific, State Cups, Country RL and any overseas teams . . . especially South Africa . . . would no doubt have the full attention of genuine RL supporters

The trick is not to fill stadiums but to attract television sponsors, given the rubbish people will sit through on prime time TV how hard could that be . . . take The Block for f**k sake. Point is I agree with Freddy, Jabba is a f**king dinosaur

myrrh ken

First Grade
R U OK pops?

You've posted enthusiastically about the same topic and you're now openly championing one of TBoon's ideas.

It's a winner though.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
RU is already fighting back with the 10s to be held soon on the Gold Coast & its international. Why is RL so insular and backward thinking? RU products draw plenty even in non-rugby countries because of their global exposure. With RL as good a product, if not better (I know, I know), they fail to take it to a world stage! RL may never be an olympic sport because there has to be a world presence first - no-one is going to back it except Oz-orientated media unless they venture out of Oceania. Even the RL world cup struggles because not enough is done to grow the game in at least 15 - 16 countries. Instead of playing the hard-done-by sibling, take it to them! Frustrating

POPEYE

Coach
R U OK pops?

You've posted enthusiastically about the same topic and you're now openly championing one of TBoon's ideas.

It's a winner though.
R U OK pops?

It's a winner though.
I think you're about as slow as TB ol' mate, 'his idea' was my idea long before your idea of his idea could be constituted as reality . . . same idea I've posted nauseatingly for years

myrrh ken

First Grade
i reckon if teams like the panthers don't want to be there, stuff em. I bet all manner, makeup and creed of teams would be as excited to jump in there.

POPEYE

Coach
Expecting the RL9's to rival the RU7's as an alternative to it's fully manned counterpart is akin to me watching more than the 5 minutes, in answer to a dare, of that celebrity jungle shit . . . never again. There is however a lesson to be learned, there are enough people to keep anything on tele given the right promotion. I am now for instance an unabashed fan of BBL with still only a selective interest in other forms of Cricket

Whether or not the RL9's would go anywhere near replacing the 13's in the hearts of the wanker brigade is beside the point for only a f**king wanker could not desire the 9's to prosper and hopefully expand. Anything that attracts new personnel to RL has to be a good thing, maybe mums'n'dads might let their little person play something that a 100k 12 year old can't . . . why not a 9's Little League

There will never be 16 Cronks/Thurstons/Slaters/Bevans etc in the NRL at one time but we could at least hope for 16 great Halves combinations, 32 great Centres and 16 great fullbacks, not to mention more elusive forwards. It took Mandela to find the talent for Sth Africa to win the RU's 7's and RL needs all the help it can get to move away from bash'n'barge . . . something the world is not interested in

So to all you f**king wankers, let the 9's be, let it be a source of elusive players that the game desperately needs

POPEYE

Coach
I hope Melbourne are still 'rorting' the cap with their one clubbers, with the best owner/manager in the game I'm sure keeping up with the rest is a walk in the park for Bart. If Bellamy is making room it's for a reason and my bet is that Campbell is keeping an eye on the gullibility level of the NRL, can't have the cup running over

Still, its sad to see Harris go even if there is too good a newie to let go somewhere else . . . then again, where better to donate Tohu than such a good cause, Bellamy doesn't forget his friends

Nice position to be in, won't be long before Sticky might be in the same position, he's always wanted to replicate ol' mate Craig's success. Whodathought the Raiders would have to drop a good'un to get a better'un under Sticky's watch . . . the day is not far off

Jason Maher

Immortal
Why do you think Sticky has finally found the formula for success (or nearly so) at the Raiders? What was he doing wrong previously?

With you on the 9s thing. You're probably not a cricket tragic, but I am, and I know a number of people who you couldn't pay to watch test cricket or even a one dayer but who tune into the Big Bash League. The cricket powers that be have stumbled onto something that attracts non cricket fans and gets the money rolling in. League has that with Origin (I also know an awful lot of people who never watch an NRL game but religiously tune into Origin), but there is clearly scope for something that stretches beyond 3 games per year.

POPEYE

Coach
Well JM imo great players don't make great coaches and Sticky was certainly a great player, so by that rule of thumb I reckon he's done damn well to get the Raiders to where they are. It took him far too long to learn how to coach to this standard but nevertheless it seems he's almost there.

By his own doing or with brilliant advice his finally coming of age as a decent coach in conjunction with a near perfect buying spree has the Raiders winners on paper. How well he circumnavigates misfortunes like injuries, poaching and bad form is yet to be judged . . . this year should tell us a lot more

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
I hope Melbourne are still 'rorting' the cap with their one clubbers, with the best owner/manager in the game I'm sure keeping up with the rest is a walk in the park for Bart. If Bellamy is making room it's for a reason and my bet is that Campbell is keeping an eye on the gullibility level of the NRL, can't have the cup running over

Still, its sad to see Harris go even if there is too good a newie to let go somewhere else . . . then again, where better to donate Tohu than such a good cause, Bellamy doesn't forget his friends

Nice position to be in, won't be long before Sticky might be in the same position, he's always wanted to replicate ol' mate Craig's success. Whodathought the Raiders would have to drop a good'un to get a better'un under Sticky's watch . . . the day is not far off

Off the mark with some of those observations unfortunately but I'm sure you'll catch up...all is not always as it seems. Case of watch this space and developments that may point to other conclusions

T-Boon

Coach
i reckon if teams like the panthers don't want to be there, stuff em. I bet all manner, makeup and creed of teams would be as excited to jump in there.

Thats a good idea. In fact a good way to do it may be to relegate clubs that finish in the bottom two and then promote teams from a pool of teams that want to be included from throughout the NSW Cup and QLD cup plus PNG and All Stars.
Maybe have a pre tournament the week before to see who gets promoted out of: Ipswich, Newtown, North Sydney, PNG, Wynham Manly, Aboriginal All Stars, Tweed Heads, Burleigh, Dolphins ...etc.

POPEYE

Coach
Off the mark with some of those observations unfortunately but I'm sure you'll catch up...all is not always as it seems. Case of watch this space and developments that may point to other conclusions
As you say, all is not as it seems, the purpose of this thread . . . but you already know that so thanks for the bump

POPEYE

Coach
This is undoubtedly the wrong place but I don't leave the house much any more. I've been in Mundine's corner spiritually for every one of his fights so I'm a happy little chappie this weekend for more reasons than one . . . the man did good

The 9's are also going the way I want, all that's needed now is to wave a wand a see them played in front of a full house at the Gabba if not Suncorp, the crowd all in fancy dress and who cares if they're not immediately RL followers

Wasn't it f**king great to see Tamou stretch his legs, he would've been as big a sensation on the Wing as Grothe or Ribot . . . just one of the wonders of the 9's

POPEYE

Coach
To Jabba and your cronies, suck f**king shit . . . your courageous team of youngsters didn't deserve to lose but you certainly did

Blues Riff

Bench
I thought getting to the GF in this circus with a bunch of non NRL players, kind of proved Gus' point. Penrith are now equal favourites for the title. I doubt he cares much about losing this one, and I guarantee he doesn't read your drivel.

POPEYE

Coach
Doesn't matter how good a player is a club that puts all its eggs in one basket is asking for trouble. The sooner the Warriors for instance relegate Shaun to just a good player and field others at least as capable of making decisions the sooner 2011 will be replicated. The Titans don't need Hayne anywhere near as much as some people think, he'll never deliver the solidarity they need

I don't agree with the Dragons spending all that money on Hunt, not only does it send the wrong message to his fellow players it robs the St Illawarrians of money to throw at wannabes like we saw in the 9's. None of the top echelon clubs have 'overpaid compared to everyone else' players, no f**king Lone Rangers

I'm happy if any club grows one club players and pays them in brown paper bags but that still doesn't work if that club gives it all to one bloke. Poaching one bloke and telling the others to put up and shut up is just plain f**king derogatory. Wouldn't it be ironic if the Dragons 'discovered' a great young'un this year, better than Hunt, then couldn't afford to ward off the poachers . . . a bpbag anyone?