What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
Back in the doldrums again, would've been nice to see the 9's played over 2 weekends at least, preferably at night . . . ah well, beggars can't be choosers

I never considered Keary a savior of the Roosters, to me only a quality backup, no surprise all the hype is about Watson. The Bondi mob will have all they need if Keary could be taught to tackle and play #9, one of them will have to, Friend is a no no imo

POPEYE

Coach
Just on trials, stories I've probably told in years gone by but still good for a bump. In the early 80's I took a damn good business houses GF winning team to the boondocks past Campbelltown for a trial. We were a feared take no prisoners pub team from Parramatta, full of 'could've-been top graders but hated training' types

We rocked up on the Sat morning ready to inflict damage on the locals only to be told they thought it was supposed to be on Sunday. Their leader said they couldn't possibly play because they'd have Fri night hangovers to which I said so f**king what, my mob always play with hangovers.

Believe you me the team I brought badly needed a new season trial of some sort so the local chief drove the streets looking for anyone willing to throw on some boots. In the end this rag tag Battlestar Gallactica team beat my mob by two tries, thank f**k I told them on the way home the opposition weren't prepared

Maybe the same year, from shaky memory, I had a call from the Parra Police saying their GF winning team wanted a trial, would we be interested. Fmd, I had about 30 blokes begging me to play, normally I'd be lucky to get a full team

Unfortunately for the constabulary the game was played at night on Richie Benaud oval, shithouse lighting and hard to see what went on in the middle of the field. We won the game and the fight, our Halfback did a Raudonikis on theirs, broken jaw I think and our Forwards wreaked havoc . . . not sure how the cops went that year

The next week a few of the boys were in the pub across from the copshop, through the barman they dedicated 'Born To Be Wild' on the jukebox to the few battered opposition sitting at a table. Anyway, the point is trials can be fraught with danger even with the best intentions

POPEYE

Coach
I've been recently reminded of a player, Anthony Tupou, who I wish could've played at Melbourne. Many a time I've watched the bloke play and been frustrated at his support players who had nfi what was required of them. The bloke was every bit as good as SBW getting the ball away, his quiet demeanor just didn't draw the same attention Williams did and many opportunities were missed

I reckon Bellamy could have worked his magic on Anthony and made the players around him appreciate his talent far more than has been done . . . one of the most underrated players I've seen

soc123_au

Staff member
I've been recently reminded of a player, Anthony Tupou, who I wish could've played at Melbourne. Many a time I've watched the bloke play and been frustrated at his support players who had nfi what was required of them. The bloke was every bit as good as SBW getting the ball away, his quiet demeanor just didn't draw the same attention Williams did and many opportunities were missed

I reckon Bellamy could have worked his magic on Anthony and made the players around him appreciate his talent far more than has been done . . . one of the most underrated players I've seen

I tend to agree with you on this old fella. Hopefully some of the kiddies at the Knights have the energy to follow him. Could net them more than one win this year. It seems like a long time ago now, but there was rumours of him going to Penrith years ago. I was dissapointed at the time that it didnt happen. Hopefully he can finish his career injury free.

POPEYE

Coach
I may have to revise my piss taking of Jabba if he continues to advocate the idea that an Indigenous team should be allowed to be represented in events such as the World Cup. Of course he's only grandstanding knowing it an impossibility, posturing for his followers, but at least the thought is there and I want to be a believer

If the Indigenous were allowed to be recognized as an entity just to make up the numbers, say the same as Scotland or Wales, I can't imagine any of them would prefer to play for Australia. Like the World All Stars last night the only Indigenous in Aussie colours would be those 'left over'

Then there's the fact that a full strength Indigenous team with their best reserves on the bench and in waiting would probably kick arse of the rest of the world teams . . . and no f**king way would that be allowed

I must add that an Australian team without the Indigenous should still probably win more often than not . . . until another Beetson is found

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
A little off topic but it's great to see Finchy has a gig close to the game he can't do without. Brett is always in my thoughts when I hear of the self hurt going around amongst retired players

He's a funny bugger and should be a perfect fit in James Rochford's 'The Professor's Second Year Syndrome' on Fox, There are some players you never want to go away and imo Finch is one of them, when you think of all the so-called expert journalists making a living year after year with their drivel you wonder why more ex-players don't take their place

I'm not all that fond of Henry Paranara's interpretations but one mishap doesn't mean disaster, why more fit ex-players aren't given big bucks to take up refereeing is beyond me. Not all smart players fall on their feet after they stop playing, shouldn't the Players' Association do more to find roles for the vanquished

POPEYE

Coach
Not sure I was all that keen on Munster playing 5/8, even before the emergence of Croft, in the same way it's hard to imagine Slater as 5/8. Then again, I see Dugan/Inglis/Hayne as Centres so wtf do I know. Still, I'd like to see Billy make a return and Croft play beside Cronk so what would I do with Munster

The problem is the bloke is far too valuable to discourage, using him as a utility would be like putting a beloved dog on a chain, hate to see someone sneak in take him to a new home. I'd like to think Munster would see himself as a Mitch Aubusson who the Roosters hold in high regard, however I can't see Cameron being that patient . . . wonder how he'd go in the Centres

Jason Maher

Immortal
This is undoubtedly the wrong place but I don't leave the house much any more. I've been in Mundine's corner spiritually for every one of his fights so I'm a happy little chappie this weekend for more reasons than one . . . the man did good

The 9's are also going the way I want, all that's needed now is to wave a wand a see them played in front of a full house at the Gabba if not Suncorp, the crowd all in fancy dress and who cares if they're not immediately RL followers

Wasn't it f**king great to see Tamou stretch his legs, he would've been as big a sensation on the Wing as Grothe or Ribot . . . just one of the wonders of the 9's

Can't agree with you there Pops. This was the Kiwis' baby, and they should keep it. New Zealand is far more in need of something fun to promote the game than Queensland is.

POPEYE

Coach
Newcastle is not really the shot duck the shitty segment of the media would like it to be, not as though the joint is full of top echelon players and is not expected to compete for last place. The Knights of '17 are really better off than some of the others, Brown can sleep easier than Hasler for instance and the mob with few members but big expectations at Brookie . . . how patient are they

Wouldn't it be great if Brown has had a master plan all along, waiting to clear the deadwood before replanting. The only big 'if' in that scenario . . . is the bloke a real Supercoach. With all the shit that's being going on at Newcastle the only remedy is buy a few cheap journeymen, super-coach them enough to hold the fort this year while all the while searching for potential champions. Save and get ready for the Big Poach next year

Never thought I'd be glad to see Birdie, my favourite ESL team Catalans will go a whole lot f**king better looking to him for inspiration than they did Carney. Love to know what he did to that bloke's ankle . . . can you squeeze an Achille's hard enough to make someone drop a ball

POPEYE

Coach
I always thought that had Sterlo taken up coaching he might have been the first great player to make a Supercoach, build a team from unknowns, discards and over-the-hillers. As it is Sticky is in the running for that mantle with a little stretch of the imagination and poetic licence

So far Sterlo has only ever talked the talk and some of his assertions regarding the selection of players has left me a little bemused. Why the f**k would the Eels want to throw money at Hunt when a walk-the-walk coach like Arthur is set to attract all kinds of wannabes

Better to let Arthur build a Shield winning culture than run off half-cocked chasing a cup, if he is left to make the decisions Parramatta may just bounce around in the top four for many years to come . . . from there anyone can win the premiership lottery

POPEYE

Coach
Fingers crossed for Kearney's sake that Foran isn't just f**king around with his intentions, if he just goes through the motions being Johnson's lap dog the Warriors will be as useless as a prick in a shirt sleeve. If Foran is serious about returning to a pin-up instead of pinned down he'll take charge of the side in a big way

If the Foran we thought we knew at his best for the Seagles went straight to the Warriors he would've been made Captain, nothing less imo will suffice in digging them out of the mire. As it is there is an air of foreboding . . . Kearney should warn Trump what it's like to kill a Chinaman

POPEYE

Coach
If you want a laugh check out RLW's 'best halves pairings', it's like a motoring magazine comparing 4x4's with no consideration of which will fall apart. Munster/Cronk and Gutherson/Norman are down the list but I like my Halves combinations to have a leader and a subordinate not two blokes trying to outdo each other until one gets injured

Good to see Benji has finally got his licence, Wayne gave him one. The benevolent Benny also promoted Darius to Captain . . . who's driving? I'll toss you for it

I was looking forward to see Dan Sarginson get a run but he mightn't overcome the tendinitis he played all of last year with at Wigan. Thank f**k Aussie medical staff are far more advanced than the English otherwise the Titans might be stuck with another part timer . . . at least Jarryd puts on a jersey every game

POPEYE

Coach
While on the subject Sarginson reckons countryman Greenwood may be coming to the GC, why isn't every Pom who entertains the thought of playing for England clamouring to play for the Titans.

It's in RL's best interest to have the English competitive and if the ESL clubs won't let Benny take the team to Mohammed the NRL should move the mountain to the GC. Benny would love to see as many Poms close by without him actually having to waste his cap training them . . . better to let Henry do it for him

Bring them over in their droves, if they can't find a spot at the Titans the next closest is the Knights, both clubs could wink wink nudge nudge pass any NRL TPA scrutiny. If the Poms are upset now imagine how f**king disgruntled they'd be if their best ESL players spent the entire English Summer in Australia

POPEYE

Coach
I was once a lot more enthusiastic about Penrith, then again I was once enthusiastic about NSW until I got fed up with the chopping and changing bullshit, making the Panthers 'favourites' this early is just more of the same.

What I don't like is seeing Hook put on notice, I care more about coaching than I do about player obtainability. I'd be more than happy to see the bloke at least win the cup, I'd be happier still if he was consistently in a position to win the Shield. Far more important imo that Hook becomes a Supercoach who's team never goes away.

I'm not convinced the Panthers are settled enough in their roster, players appear too uneasy, too eager to please forsaking stability. Injuries are the gremlin in the modern game but for Hook's sake I hope his roster remains stable and contingencies are indeed in place . . . if any bloke deserved a vinegar stroke it's Griffin

POPEYE

Coach
Phil Bentham take a bow . . . what a f**king shame the NRL isn't refereed the same way. Great to see misdemeanors not directly affecting play being ignored for the sake of momentum . . . wonderful piece of refereeing

A few of the Warrington players would not be out of place in the NRL, especially Kevin Brown. Broncos obviously short of a run but as I've said before a team representing the ESL permanently playing in the NRL would do the game as a whole a world of good

POPEYE

Coach
Quality English refereeing one day and cloned Australian refereeing the next. Sharks have everything go there way in a cup months ago and nothing goes their way today . . . which is why one f**king game doesn't make a season . . . I loves it

POPEYE

Coach
Zeb Taia is not a great example because he's played ESL before but he's still food for thought, the bloke was playing pretty well for the Titans and swapping him for Greenwood is a risk. Sticky, or whoever scouts for him, can probably take the blame, the Raiders success with Whitehead and Hodgson is hard to ignore

There seem to be a lot more 80 minute good players in ESL than the old days, some of them with the stamina to play NRL, not to be put off by Hardaker and Burgess who were not comfortable here. I liked the look of Kevin Brown playing for Warrington . . . does an NRL team need a 5/8 with a good kicking game

There may be a lot of older NRL players who are playing well and who supporters have no reason to believe won't keep on keeping on who are looking closely at ESL. Thurston for instance is finishing his international career but is expected to go to pasture after the Cowboys

What if a five year ridiculous money contract was offered him if he went to ESL next year. Preposterous example maybe but there are many more like him, could be gone are the days when the ESL accept NRL players on their last legs . . . better quality, better value, better teachers, stronger ESL

POPEYE

Coach
Of course I wanted the Poms to win both WCC games, anything that makes RL less laughable. Nothing much to take from the trials imo, except from the vibes around Braidon Burns there wasn't much to write home about. If he gets a run he and Connor Watson have most of my interest in season's start . . . everyone else is a slower process

POPEYE

Coach
I voted for Pauline Hanson and I'm about to vote for Ricky Stuart, neither the sharpest tool in the shed and both with small man big car syndrome but what the f**k . . . where do I sign up. If Sticky gets the NRL to respect and reward players who want to play their careers at one club I'll buy a jersey of whatever club he coaches

Not that Sticky really wants to keep Fensom and Lee on any money, nor will the little bloke miss the opportunity to blame someone else for what has to be done, gotta love the trying to 'build a culture bit'. Sticky's mate Bellyache, The Culture King, would have just told Fensom and Lee they're not performing well enough and helped them find another gig

Anyway, I'm all for Sticky's latest grandstanding even if he has a snowball's chance in hell and knows it. If he ever does become a Supercoach, progresses from poaching to 'making' players, he'll need the f**king 2 step forward 1 back NRL to realise how valuable it would be to 'cultivate' one club players

If Sticky wants to demonstrate outside NRL headquarters I'll put on a bullet proof vest and gas mask and venture across the Blueys to stand at his side

Latest posts