What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
I don't dare to look for threads imitating RR old friend, like Albert I'm here just to keep the brew stirred, something to peruse when all else is considered. I have the advantage of not needing to be anywhere else, titbits in mainstream are enough of my time to be spared . . . unlike Albert I can be easily avoided by anyone not interested or not preoccupied with my demise. You too should avoid the cave mate, nothing that hasn't already been said to be found there

There's a reason I use Gagai as wanker bait, the bloke was a beacon of light in a dark period for Newcastle, his never-say-die attitude helped to keep the team at least competitive and rubbed off on his team mates. Instead of supporters wallowing in pity they turned up in droves to support their mob go down fighting

Seriously, who really gives a f**k about the defence of one bloke in a team that can't win games because their only weapon is attack. Now if Newcastle become a force in '18 and Gagai was still there letting the team down in defence I'd have to denounce it

As it is Souths need to score points, maybe Dane is smarter than he's being given credit for, like me he knows his place and sticks to what he does best . . . crikey, I'm better at defence than attack, each to their own

T-Boon

Coach
There's a reason I use Gagai as wanker bait, the bloke was a beacon of light in a dark period for Newcastle, his never-say-die attitude helped to keep the team at least competitive and rubbed off on his team mates. Instead of supporters wallowing in pity they turned up in droves to support their mob go down fighting

I don't think Knights fans felt that way about Gagai.

Apart from last season where I think he looked ok at times, for the most part fans felt like he was not having an impact or putting in extra effort at all in comparison to what he has been doing in the Qld jersey. Nobody around these parts seemed shattered to see him go least of all Nathan Brown.

POPEYE

Coach
I don't think Knights fans felt that way about Gagai.

Apart from last season where I think he looked ok at times, for the most part fans felt like he was not having an impact or putting in extra effort at all in comparison to what he has been doing in the Qld jersey. Nobody around these parts seemed shattered to see him go least of all Nathan Brown.
Opinions are great things aren't they ol' mate, I reckon Gagai tries as best he can every time he plays. If another of the Fijians decided to go to Union and Souths reject him I'd like to see him in purple . . . maybe Chambers would let him score a try or two in the Centre like he does with Qld

POPEYE

Coach
Having Hayne in the side shouldn't deter Parra from going gangbusters this year, I'd like nothing better than to see the Eels drink from the cup and the more Arthur says things like "French will get first shot at #1" the happier I am

Methinks Jarryd is more of an emergency fill than a necessity fit, the thought of him displacing anyone should be enough to spur regulars to greater heights and Arthur's worst enemy is injuries, he's too tough to let an enemy from within disrupt proceedings. If the Eels can't cover for absentees this season will be a repeat of last

French's defence and positional savvy is a pleasant surprise, he could become one of the great Fullbacks because of it, his speed just an accessory. Fingers crossed Bevan can build in strength with experience and his season at #1 is a full one

Pedge1971

First Grade
This forum is the only sector of social media I participate in, according to Wiki there are more than a dozen ways people can interact without physically talking to each other. I've never even sent a text to anyone, my little fliptop mobile phone has a red and green button and a list of 'contacts' . . . that's all I need to know

Can't imagine how much shit I'd get into if I got involved in Facebook etc, my missus has threatened my life if I ever touch her 'page'. I don't post links or pictures because I couldn't be bothered going to the trouble of remembering how, so what you read from me is all you're ever going to get . . . luckily

The point is, hypocritical as it may sound, if I thought Hayne for example was actually reading this forum I would cease incessantly denigrating him as being overrated. I reckon I'm easily capable of cyberbullying anyone but content to just have a little fun retaliating to jibes on here

Having grand children of my own and seeing that young lass suicide is a reminder that people have limits, there's a fine line between abstract and direct intimidation. News media are by far the worst bullies but it is wise to consider how many small parts make a whole, not nice to realise a cynical push can turn to a mental shove

Red and Green button = Souffs

Pedge1971

First Grade
Having Hayne in the side shouldn't deter Parra from going gangbusters this year, I'd like nothing better than to see the Eels drink from the cup and the more Arthur says things like "French will get first shot at #1" the happier I am

Methinks Jarryd is more of an emergency fill than a necessity fit, the thought of him displacing anyone should be enough to spur regulars to greater heights and Arthur's worst enemy is injuries, he's too tough to let an enemy from within disrupt proceedings. If the Eels can't cover for absentees this season will be a repeat of last

French's defence and positional savvy is a pleasant surprise, he could become one of the great Fullbacks because of it, his speed just an accessory. Fingers crossed Bevan can build in strength with experience and his season at #1 is a full one

I reckon u might be right. Arthur is pretty much saying (nicely) Hayne either needs to smash it or be a mid tier backfill who can trouble shoot his backline for a season. At his age, might suit Hayne.

500k aint that much these days...

POPEYE

Coach
Not long now and we're going to find out who the 'best club on the planet is', the wait is almost too hard to bear. Not sure it will be a perfect indicator though, the Rhinos might have to play in the hottest time of the Australian year, then again it's the same for both teams . . . dearie f**king me, Hughsey should be the main commentator

Then there's the Charity Shield in God's Country Mudgee and you wouldn't f**king believe it, I might be in Sydney waiting for my missus to have surgery. There are more important things in life than the autograph I was hoping to get from Gagai . . . still, 'Fantasy League' is talking him up, I might finally have a go at that goobledygook this year

It's a shame the Dragons/Rabbitohs and Knights/Eels trials are on at the same time 4 hours travel time away from each other . . . a dilemma for country purists I will be unable to contemplate

POPEYE

Coach
It's been confirmed, Inglis has been given the #1 which means he's just about f**ked, all jokes aside the bloke has never been anything but a Centre. If they pulled up the Titanic, put a few patches on and sent her out to find the same iceberg you'd have the scenario

The bloke would be better off playing Second Row than Fullback, he'd probably show Crichton how to run at little men and break the line . . . get him ready for the Roosters.

Greg was never any good at calling the defence, too slow making himself understood, that alone is enough to keep him out of the caretaker role. His #1 body left the field when Bellamy realised he wasn't suited . . . this Souths outfit has Dopey Dora written all over it

POPEYE

Coach
Not sure who of the Blues coaching team will be the most influential, there's going to be enough of them to take a pea in a game of Kelly Pool but Buderus seems the smartest with the media. Freddie would do well to keep Danny as Ring Announcer, he's got common sense down pat as well as being adept at interpreting 'mumble' . . . let him face Danny 'Dumb Question' Weidler

Something of real importance, Petero says Fiji is on the vinegar stroke of making NSW Cup, let's hope that bitch NRL doesn't yell stop at the last moment. The Fijians may be extraordinarily patriotic but it won't cause an exodus of NRL players to the Cup. 'Show Me The Money' will be enough to ensure the team comprises a fair share of new faces to go with the tired ones

POPEYE

Coach
Hope Thurston doesn't become an activist, being an advocate would better suit him and the Indigenous, Australian powers-that-be are slow learners and don't take kindly to being proven wrong. Johnathan has a rapport with everyone outside RL's suburb Wankerland and he should keep it that way by not making a martyr of himself

I'd be one of the first to take up arms against those that killed the Indigenous for sport or stole their children but you can't turn back time. Let the minnows like Joe Williams thrash around in the shallows, on the eastern seaboard at least Thurston could do wonders for his mob for many years to come if he just uses a bit of nous

POPEYE

Coach
Human nature, it's better than opinion because it's more forgiving, more flexible. I have a broader mind than most, my wish that T-Rex might snap out of his lethargy is tantamount to hoping Kasiano can play more than one third of a game

When a player transfers from one team to another it's miraculous how opinion transfers with him, Williams now has followers with high hopes to replace those with disdain. He is now 'back where he belongs', a Parra catchcry, in truth a place he may have been nurtured better if only in his own mind

I reckon the Eels might be the world champion of letting players slip through their fingers, the list if it ever get's finished will expand into a good book. Purists will hope Tony finds RL religion again, it will only take a 'Hayne 09' for him to find forgiveness . . . Arthur is a realist and we should follow his lead, expect and rejoice if T-Rex saves the day if only occasionally

POPEYE

Coach
Hard to get more than a two word answer from Benny unless the question leads to his gratification, then he'll become benevolent with his time. He shares that the 'pipeline' to Maroons' success was his creation and because of it exceptional players will continue to be pumped from it

To begin with, Qldrs are as obsessed with RL as Vic's are with AFL, secondly the Qld spine that has made the difference in the last decade has sfa to do with his pipeline, Muzza/Bellyache can take credit for that

Lastly, methinks Benny is covering his tracks in case he can't make a silk purse from the sow's ear of Milford/Nikorima. He'll need a lot more f**king arse than class to convince anyone he can do without the monopoly he had for most of his tenure. Fmd, what he could have done with the Qld spine he piped to other coaches . . . pity he didn't foresee the talent slipping through his fingers

ed-grimley

Bench
Opinions are great things aren't they ol' mate, I reckon Gagai tries as best he can every time he plays. If another of the Fijians decided to go to Union and Souths reject him I'd like to see him in purple . . . maybe Chambers would let him score a try or two in the Centre like he does with Qld
Shining in a dominant Queensland SOO doesn't always provide the full story. Sometimes players need to perform in different contexts to prove real worth.

T-Boon

Coach
To begin with, Qldrs are as obsessed with RL as Vic's are with AFL, secondly the Qld spine that has made the difference in the last decade has sfa to do with his pipeline, Muzza/Bellyache can take credit for that

When the dust settles, all Bellamy will be able to "take credit for" is the wrestle and ruckology in general. He is a complete monstrosity with respect to his contribution to the game and it will take years for the code to recover.

POPEYE

Coach
Shining in a dominant Queensland SOO doesn't always provide the full story. Sometimes players need to perform in different contexts to prove real worth.
True, but before claiming himself a catalyst Benny would have to not miss potential champions right under his nose. Anyone including himself could've had Melbourne's 'big #' players amongst other greats that were looking for attention. They were made great before Mal used them and before Benny wished he had them

There are more RL greats coming from Qld because there's less to do in the joint not because Benny 'fathered' them. Murray/Bellamy/Green have as much if not more to do with the 'pipeline' as Benny

POPEYE

Coach
When the dust settles, all Bellamy will be able to "take credit for" is the wrestle and ruckology in general. He is a complete monstrosity with respect to his contribution to the game and it will take years for the code to recover.
You need to take a look at last year's table in full ol' mate, compare the for and against of Melbourne to the rest . . . I'm sure most purists would want the team they support to follow those guidelines

T-Boon

Coach
You need to take a look at last year's table in full ol' mate, compare the for and against of Melbourne to the rest . . . I'm sure most purists would want the team they support to follow those guidelines

It is all just about the speed of the play the ball. Slow your opponent down when they have the ball and drop ASAP when you have it. The most interesting stat from last year is that Melbourne gave away more penalties than any other team.

POPEYE

Coach
It is all just about the speed of the play the ball. Slow your opponent down when they have the ball and drop ASAP when you have it. The most interesting stat from last year is that Melbourne gave away more penalties than any other team.
More penalties and still won, I didn't see that in the NRL website ladder but more kudos to them

All clubs are given a set of rules to follow, they try and employ a coach to make best use of those rules in defence and attack, hopefully victory will be the result. The best common denominator is the highest points 'differential' between defence and attack, how it is achieved by best applying the rules as they stand

You do understand that penalties, even taking into consideration the affect of tall poppy syndrome, are the result of following guidelines to the nth degree. Do you also understand if the rules are changed the best teams adapt and for and against differential always remains RL's holy grail

ACTPanthers

Bench

Broken. f**king. Record.

You're becoming boring mate - Maybe try mixing it up a little ey?

T-Boon

Coach
The only coach more boring than Bellamy is that ex Souths coach Maguire. He seems to love the dark arts more than any other coach. I've tried to watch Souths GF win a few times. Tough going.
Man, that style of play is what is driving people to watch croquet in great numbers.

Latest posts