What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
The only coach more boring than Bellamy is that ex Souths coach Maguire. He seems to love the dark arts more than any other coach. I've tried to watch Souths GF win a few times. Tough going.
Man, that style of play is what is driving people to watch croquet in great numbers.
Given your penchant for change and my lack of anything better to do in this heat I'll persevere. Let's assume you understand the basics of RL as a sport, purist observers of it will argue between each other over which is best, attack or defence, the century old struggle between both is what makes the game

Rules that are made to perpetuate the struggle aside, most of us want it to continue as the basis of the sport we want to watch. Now if you don't like the process you could always turn to Union where defence is secondary and attack is a shemozzle, or AFL where attack is everything and defence is pot luck

Bellamy happens to be the greatest exponent of RL at the moment, not by much mind you but enough to have a team of his creation continually at top echelon. Mark my words ol' mate, the vast majority of RL supporters want their teams to be in the same space . . . RL is like beer, you either like it or you don't . . . maybe croquet is your go to

T-Boon

Coach
Now if you don't like the process you could always turn to Union where defence is secondary and attack is a shemozzle, or AFL where attack is everything and defence is pot luck

What about American football? That is where a lot of people I know who use to love RL (and still sort of do) are turning.

Mark my words ol' mate, the vast majority of RL supporters want their teams to be in the same space . . .
Mark my words. The vast majority of RL supporters HAVE a problem with the game and they THINK it is the refereeing. They are wrong because if you look back at the old games the referees was a lot worse. It is how boring the game has become due to coaches like Bellamy.

RL is like beer, you either like it or you don't

RL under Bellamy has become VB. Every night the same horse piss, VB.

POPEYE

Coach
Have a good Australia day folks, may it be a reminder that to be Australian is to be part of one of the newest cultures on the planet. Bygones needn't be forgotten but dwelling on them is as counterproductive as not accepting the way of life Australia, as it is today, is trying to offer

. . . and they should change the date to the first day of the RL season

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
Would Bennett or Bellamy have been able to take that Sharks side to a premiership?
I think not.
Best coach, Shane Flanagan.

I wouldn't go that far but I've been shouting his greatness from the start when most people were calling for his head so you're preaching to the wrong person

I wouldn't go that far but I've been shouting his greatness from the start when most people were calling for his head so you're preaching to the wrong person
I'm just having a lend, i happened to be one of those people who called for his head so my opinion is severely tainted.
For the record i think Paul Green is the best at the moment.

The_Shield

Juniors
What about American football? That is where a lot of people I know who use to love RL (and still sort of do) are turning.

Mark my words. The vast majority of RL supporters HAVE a problem with the game and they THINK it is the refereeing. They are wrong because if you look back at the old games the referees was a lot worse. It is how boring the game has become due to coaches like Bellamy.

RL under Bellamy has become VB. Every night the same horse piss, VB.
See you say all this shit but the Storm were easily the most entertaining team last year.

Also, although I have been getting more and more into the NFL the last few years, apparently Americans are losing interest in it. Apparently ratings and crowds are down, now I haven’t looked into this much it’s just something I heard with the whole Vince McMahon XFL thing. So my point being, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side

The_Shield

Juniors
To me Green will always be inexperienced.
Am I the only one who thinks Green is overrated? I see him get talked up and praised a lot for the cowboys making the gf. But let’s be real here, if not for the dragons shitting the bed in rd26 the cowboys wouldn’t of even made the top 8. Then they got lucky facing three teams who underestimated them and thought they could just show up to win. And finally when they came up against a team prepared to play they looked completely outclassed and got blown away.

But my biggest complaint against Green is that when things don’t go his way, he becomes a whiny little bitch that blames everyone and anyone except himself

POPEYE

Coach
Am I the only one who thinks Green is overrated? I see him get talked up and praised a lot for the cowboys making the gf. But let’s be real here, if not for the dragons shitting the bed in rd26 the cowboys wouldn’t of even made the top 8. Then they got lucky facing three teams who underestimated them and thought they could just show up to win. And finally when they came up against a team prepared to play they looked completely outclassed and got blown away.

But my biggest complaint against Green is that when things don’t go his way, he becomes a whiny little bitch that blames everyone and anyone except himself
Can't agree with that, I reckon Green is a Supercoach and like Robbo he's a realist. Over his few years he's had a right to complain the times he has, last year was an anomaly due to rotten luck any coach would have had trouble with

Bellamy doesn't say as much as Robbo/Green because he's not as eloquent but it's not hard to imagine and understand what they're thinking if you study the game. The Cowboys did well because no-one expected them to and Green was the coach, preparation created the luck he needed. A whinge now and again is necessary to boost morale when a roster has been discombobulated

. . . and in passing I probably should have included Flanno as a Supercoach . . . fingers crossed for Brown who gives out the right vibes

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
See you say all this shit but the Storm were easily the most entertaining team last year.

That is possibly true because Bellamy's influence has pemeated right through the league and I can't think of a team that plays a different style to Melbourne, let alone an entertaining style. I am even finding it hard to watch my team Parra play these days. The only entertaining RL teams to watch these days are found outside the NRL. Eg: Jillaroos, couple of ESL teams.

Also, although I have been getting more and more into the NFL the last few years, apparently Americans are losing interest in it. Apparently ratings and crowds are down, now I haven’t looked into this much it’s just something I heard with the whole Vince McMahon XFL thing. So my point being, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side

NFL crowds and TV ratings are dropping for numerous reasons. EG: they were at astronomical levels to begin with (you can't stay at the top of everest for ever); mums are freaking out about safety issues so the commission is making rules about safety and then thats effecting the fans who like the gladiator aspects; the controversy around the national anthem.
One thing you can count on is that the NFL is aware of this and they are very active in making rule changes to combat declining interest. If the NFL rules committed were in charge of the NRL, Bellamy ball would not have survived past 2008.

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
That is possibly true because the Bellamy's influence has pemeated right through the league and I can't think of a team that plays a different style to Melbourne, let alone an entertaining style. I am even finding it hard to watch my team Parra play these days. The only entertaining RL teams to watch these days are found outside the NRL. Eg: Jillaroos, couple of ESL teams.

NFL crowds and TV ratings are dropping for numerous reasons. EG: they were at astronomical levels to begin with (you can't stay at the top of everest for ever); mums are freaking out about safety issues so the commission is making rules about safety and then thats effecting the fans who like the gladiator aspects; the controversy around the national anthem.
One thing you can count on is that the NFL is aware of this and they are very active in making rule changes to combat declining interest. If the NFL rules committed were in charge of the NRL, Bellamy ball would not have survived past 2008.
Sounds like it's about time you moved on from RL, the game is clearly below your satisfaction level, methinks you and NFL are perfectly suited . . . the Yanks might even be able to use your help

T-Boon

Coach
Sounds like it's about time you moved on from RL, the game is clearly below your satisfaction level, methinks you and NFL are perfectly suited . . . the Yanks might even be able to use your help

Listen up big man, it isn't just me.
However, the big thing stopping a mass exodus from RL to American Football is the Nrl is on here in prime time whilst NFL & college football is on in inconvenient times like 6am on Sunday or Monday morning.
Additionally, whilst the actual game play of RL has become an abomination there is still the attraction of a bit of theatre about the NRL that comes with any close meaningful sporting event or competition.

POPEYE

Coach
Listen up big man, it isn't just me.
However, the big thing stopping a mass exodus from RL to American Football is the Nrl is on here in prime time whilst NFL & college football is on in inconvenient times like 6am on Sunday or Monday morning.
Additionally, whilst the actual game play of RL has become an abomination there is still the attraction of a bit of theatre about the NRL that comes with any close meaningful sporting event or competition.
I'm only big if you're little, if you become abusive it's the same as putting your hands up . . . this is a forum, not a robbery

The thing stopping a mass exodus to NFL is that it's as boring as f**king batshit, the time wasting is absurd to anyone that hasn't been brainwashed from an early age or can be easily hypnotised. That however is not the point, you seem distraught and I'm not trying to bully by suggesting you should move on from RL

POPEYE

Coach
Hayne must be sitting at home wondering why he didn't choose Cricket over RL, surely he could do a 'Maxwell' in the big bash version at least. Just imagine Jarryd in India, he'd emit a glow as he walked the poverty ridden streets and people begged for his attention . . . aren't we lucky India doesn't embrace RL

ed-grimley

Bench
Hayne must be sitting at home wondering why he didn't choose Cricket over RL, surely he could do a 'Maxwell' in the big bash version at least. Just imagine Jarryd in India, he'd emit a glow as he walked the poverty ridden streets and people begged for his attention . . . aren't we lucky India doesn't embrace RL
Maybe a career in Bollywood beckons, a la Brett Lee.

T-Boon

Coach
The more I think about it the more the Jarryd Hayne & Brian Lara comparison I just made works brilliantly. I explain more below:

Both obscenely talented, next level, ridiculously entertaining showman of their sports that people quit their jobs to go and watch just to be able to say they did (thats me. I quit a job in 09 because they wanted me to work when Hayne was going to be violating some hack NRL team). Both played out their careers on shitty teams so didn't get to taste much in the way of success - but what success they did achieve was off the back of their own individual brilliance and sheer will to win.

Both thumbed their nose to a large extent at the modern nature of professional sports. Like that other pure, majestic sports talent Shane Warne, neither enjoyed the finer details of training as deemed necessary by half witted "coaches" and thus got labelled "bad team man".

Both had trouble with the ladies. Lara got bowled by one under dubious circumstances and Hayne got sued by one under dubious circumstances.

I could keep going.

Latest posts