What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reds Go Suburban

Smithtown

Coach
It took a while, but thankfully we have gotten there

August 2 Reds v Shellharbour at North Beach
August 16 Reds v Bulls at Lark Hill
August 23 Reds v Cabramatta at TBA

Lark Hill is an excellent choice.

b0rt

Juniors
It took a while, but thankfully we have gotten there

August 2 Reds v Shellharbour at North Beach
August 16 Reds v Bulls at Lark Hill
August 23 Reds v Cabramatta at TBA

Lark Hill is an excellent choice.

only for people that live in rockingham

sounds like the $7k a game fee was just to much more than was worth with no crowds

Smithtown

Coach
And what about those that live in North Beach, Bort?

Take the game to the people, that's the only way for this team in this standard of competition. If the Reds make Qld Cup then different story perhaps.

PS - I bet Lark Hill will be packed, kids everywhere, and the atmosphere terrific.

b0rt

Juniors
And what about those that live in North Beach, Bort?

Take the game to the people, that's the only way for this team in this standard of competition. If the Reds make Qld Cup then different story perhaps.

PS - I bet Lark Hill will be packed, kids everywhere, and the atmosphere terrific.

north beach is good for north beach, joondalup and south perth
not so much rockingham though
lark hill is nice though, just not even remotely close to where i live (5 mins drive from north beach)

youd think the TBA game will be at south perth, or maybe freo

Last edited:

Smithtown

Coach
I think the future for the Reds next year is definitely in the suburbs.

Anyone there last Sunday, on a great day for footy, should realise that. I reckon there would've been between 350-400 people.

4 games at Lark Hill, 4 games at the Joondalup Arena and the rest centrally located is a great mix. Good venues, and let the local clubs help promote the game in the local media.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
I think the future for the Reds next year is definitely in the suburbs.

Anyone there last Sunday, on a great day for footy, should realise that. I reckon there would've been between 350-400 people.

4 games at Lark Hill, 4 games at the Joondalup Arena and the rest centrally located is a great mix. Good venues, and let the local clubs help promote the game in the local media.

All because the greedy Nick Catania doesn't give a f**k about anything but sh*te AFL!

Nuke

Staff member
You honestly expected anything else, KalgoorlieRed?

I didn't.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
your right smithtown, it will bring out a more community feel 2 the side's and could also bring in better sponsorship opportunity's for club's if there goin 2 hav local game's as curtain raiser's

Perth Red

Post Whore
IMO this is a massive mistake and will see the Reds crowds drop to 2-300 people. Also as someone who paid top whack for a season ticket I am very peeved, are they going to refund me the money I paid to watch the game at MES?

As a corporate I wouldn't be very happy either if I'd paid for a sponsorship that included signage, a box etc at a stadium and ended up at a local field. Sorry guys but the Reds have taken a massive step backward here I reckon.

aarondoyle

Juniors
They should have either started at the suburban grounds, or stayed at MES. The backward step is not going to look good in the eyes of a lot of people.

But if they had started suburban and stepped up to MES, that would have been a totally different story.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
I said it once before and ill say it again, i think they were living beyond there means to begin with by playing at MES.

If i had bought a season membership or a corporate box i'd be asking the question aswell

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Yah, for JBC, MES was a step too far.

JBC for two years should not have been much more than preaching to the converted as far as fans go.

It should have been about logistics, getting used to interstate travel.

Once they entered the QLD Cup could they have considered MES.

b0rt

Juniors

8 games at the 2 extremes? thats leaves like 3 in the middle
how is that a great mix?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thing is 700 season ticket holders has paid for MES so I can't see how it hasn't been financially viable, especially when you take into account the corporate support playing at MES has given them. If they move to suburban grounds they can kiss goodbye to the season ticket holders and corporates imo. Surely getting 1000 @ $15 at MES is still more profitable than getting 200 @ $10 at a suburban ground?

Don't suppose it has anything to do with Glory kicking off soon and the state of the pitch has it?

albert

Juniors
Fantastic!!! I said on another post this is the only way to go.The smaller grounds will give a better atmosphere.Will the admission prices drop? I would hate to see what would happen if the REDS were on a roll would they change back to MES?
As for the travelling I would not see this to much of a problem clubs do it on a regular basis for the WARL competition.
What is the capacity for Lark Hill?Would they have room for the 700 members if they all decided to turn up.
Does anybody no the kick off times? Who runs the grounds on the day(Cubs/WARL).

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Thing is 700 season ticket holders has paid for MES so I can't see how it hasn't been financially viable, especially when you take into account the corporate support playing at MES has given them. If they move to suburban grounds they can kiss goodbye to the season ticket holders and corporates imo. Surely getting 1000 @ $15 at MES is still more profitable than getting 200 @ $10 at a suburban ground?

Don't suppose it has anything to do with Glory kicking off soon and the state of the pitch has it?

Probably. I've really turned off soccer, too much acting.

Smithtown

Coach
Kurt Angle has it right.

The sights were too high at MES for such a competition. Maybe have an odd game or two there, but the future is elsewhere for JBC standard football. QLD Cup different story, with established Clubs like Redcliffe able to draw a decent crowd.

"8 games at the 2 extremes? thats leaves like 3 in the middle
how is that a great mix?"

Simple Bort. The future of the WARL is in the extremes of Perth, which is no coincidence because that is where the young families are. If you look at the massive numbers of Juniors at Rockingham, with Joondalup trying to catch up, this is the market that needs tapping.

So many Rugby League people over here are from NSW or Qld Country, where it is not uncommon for a 4 hr round trip to play and watch footy. If people can't be bothered driving the 40mins from the City to Lark Hill to watch a Reds game then that is their bad luck. Smacks of the same self interest that stops the game from growing.

The Reds have to become part of the local RL community to be accepted, not an aloof organisation divorced from it. This will go a way to establishing that.