What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reds in jeopardy?

Nuke

Staff member
I am far from their number one supporter, but I am behind them all the way. To be honest, with the exception of a couple of players and coaching staff, I wouldn't know any of 'em if I walked past 'em in the street.

how did u get Nuke?? :lol:
High school. Year 12 retreat. Someone started calling me Newcastle (as I am a massive Knights fan and wore a different Knights t-shirt every one of the 3 days we were away). It caught on with a few people, and once we got back, it kinda died off but a couple of people continued to call me an abbreviated version - that being Nuke (as in Newcastle). I, from that time on, started using it as an online name as it was about that time (10yrs ago) that I was learning the internet at school and got it at home. I still have one of my best mates that calls me that too!

Alehana said:
btw i'll keep calling u Nuke and all others by their stage name
Deal! :D

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well said Nuke, I feel exactly the same and have spent a small fortune on the Reds so far but know it will be worth every cent if it helps get us an NRL team.

Re the WARL clubs, I think they have to realise that their future depends on the Reds success. if the Reds fail (god forbid) RL is dead in this city, kids will go to Union and soccer in increasing numbers and the WARL will lose its best board members I'm sure. If the Reds are succesful the knock on effect in terms of profile of RL will be massive and the jnrs and seniors taking up the game will be much much bigger leading to stronger WARL clubs. The clubs and the Reds futures are in each others hans in many ways, the players and club officials need to realise this and work cloesly together and support each other.

Alehana

Juniors
hahah, u from newcastle? i always get some offensive kiwi name for my nickname, something to do with sheep most often, but my rugby (not league unfortunatly, only got into it quite late 3 years ago) mates we all call eachother who we look like or have same names, i'd get called sonny bill most times and kees meus (all black) (first name is my surname), dont know why about SBW, dont really look like him, but some ppl reckon i do, far out ur 10 years older than me, As for Alehana, well i thought i'd remain annomyous on here, so i chosen the most random name i could think of,

Alehana

Juniors
hahah yeh loophole in system, they need workers so they lifted the rule, did my RSOA (responcible service of alcohol) even tho i cant serve drinks, but i'm a glassie so i just collect glasses, im' afriad i cant give away drinks so if after a reds win (which i hope i'm there at the game) and i'm wokring i wont be able to give away free drinks unless i wanna get fired. i saw a few last week come in after.

Nuke

Staff member
S'okay mate, I don't drink anyway, so it's all good!

Sneaky way to get to work in a pub though!

Alehana

Juniors
hahah, yeh, cant see myself working there too long, i cant drink much alcohol tbh as well, and working there has more affirmed it can see what it does to ppl, but like all teens i have a fake id, only used it 4 times tho, then i got a rank haircut and cant use it anymore, but i turn 18 in 9 days so i guess it wont be very long.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
Exactly. When you go to a Reds game next, buy that NSWRL programme ($3), and have a look at the crowds the Jim Beam Cup gets in Sydney - a crowd of 300 is on the larger end of the scale. The WA Reds crowds of 1,700 is astronomical in comparison. That being said, casual Rugby League (and sport in general) supporters aren't that interested in going to Jim Beam Cup games in Perth. If it was NRL games, especially a Perth team playing in the NRL, you would see crowds of 17,000 in attendance. I'll be honest: The Reds don't excite me. I was pumped after their fightback and last minute win last weekend, and they have done that to me a few times in their existence thus far, but as I whole, I'm not that excited about them. I do know that the hard yards have to be done right now as fans in order for us to have our own NRL team. I don't make a lot of money, working in aged care as I do, but I've spent quite a bit on things like memberships (2007, 2008), WA Reds jersey, (petrol on coming to the games every home game!!!) ect, and will continue to do so because I know it all helps and makes a difference. I am a very patient person, and I can see the work and money being put in now and in the future will pay off. I would personally feel kinda embarrassed and guilty if I did nothing, didn't go to games, spread the word, ect, and the WA Reds gain entry into the NRL and then start supporting them.

Each game -including the 2 pre-season games at North Beach- I have brought at the very least one other person with me. The most to one game was 4 others + myself. The game against Mounties the other week, I brought along a union fan who was sitting around twiddling his thumbs because his sport's season had finished.

That would make sense, but WARL players wouldn't then be able to go out after the games and drink because they'd have work the next day! They couldn't go out on Saturday nights because they'd have to play the following day! We can't have that! Rugby League is a social and drinking culture -WA Rugby League is definitely no exception to that!. Sure the players could go out and have a few (or a few too many!) on the Friday night instead, but it wouldn't be quite the same as after-game drinks - either celebrating a win, or trying to put a loss behind them. It just wouldn't be the same.

Good post Nuke which I agree with. Cheers.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
I am far from their number one supporter, but I am behind them all the way. To be honest, with the exception of a couple of players and coaching staff, I wouldn't know any of 'em if I walked past 'em in the street.

High school. Year 12 retreat. Someone started calling me Newcastle (as I am a massive Knights fan and wore a different Knights t-shirt every one of the 3 days we were away). It caught on with a few people, and once we got back, it kinda died off but a couple of people continued to call me an abbreviated version - that being Nuke (as in Newcastle). I, from that time on, started using it as an online name as it was about that time (10yrs ago) that I was learning the internet at school and got it at home. I still have one of my best mates that calls me that too!

Deal! :D

haha! I'm getting a Kotara Bears jersey soon, did you play for them Andy? :cool:

gallagher

Juniors
spot on

sunday arvo might be more 'family friendly' but its also at the time when its harder for families to get there, due to junior games[/quote
Is that why?
are stats done on this or do they just assume?

b0rt

Juniors
just an assumption as far as i know
but imagine if you had kids who played at 9 and 12 and then the reds played at 3-5, big ask no matter how much you like league
also generally players have to be back east by monday

gallagher

Juniors
just an assumption as far as i know
but imagine if you had kids who played at 9 and 12 and then the reds played at 3-5, big ask no matter how much you like league
also generally players have to be back east by monday

Are junior games on sat or sun or both?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good to see the WARL and clubs working together:

Date: 22/06/2008Club Games to Curtain Raise at WARZONE

WARL Clubs will partner with the WA Reds to play their senior games as preliminaries to the main Reds game for the remaining Members Equity Stadium fixtures, Reds management announced today.

“It has always been our fervent wish to work in closely with the clubs and due to the supportive and open minded attitude of the club presidents and committees it has been agreed that playing one home game fixture each season a lead up to a Reds home game would be a great benefit to all concerned”, WARL Chairman Geoff Baldwin said.

“We would like to thank the South Perth Lions Committee for paving the way by playing their next home game against Rockingham Coastal Sharks as the curtain raiser on the 28th June and this will enable fans from both of those clubs plus all other fans the opportunity to enjoy a smorgasbord of high quality Rugby League.

“It will also give players from both clubs the opportunity to play on Western Australia’s premier rectangular stadium.

“We had seriously considered hosting a couple of Reds games at club grounds but it would have been unfair to do this for one or two clubs without playing at all grounds which would have been impossible.

“Also, the human and other resource demands would have been enormous especially with many clubs not having the amenities to cater for larger crowds and over a 120 corporates so this is a very good alternative.

“Up to this point in the season the Colts have played curtain raisers and we believe they have enjoyed the experience enormously and that they won’t mind now allowing other players to enjoy a game or two at the WARZONE.

“All grades will play on the 28th beginning with Women, then Reserve Grade, Seniors and the Reds at 7.30 PM. Detailed timing will be published tomorrow.

Note: It is also planned for up to three Reds trials to be played at Club grounds in February March 2009 and details of requirements will be forwarded to local clubs in the near future

Nuke

Staff member
Joondalup vs Willagee will be the curtain-raiser to the following week's WA Reds games (vs. Belrose) on Saturday July 5th. It was originally to be played at Admiral Reserve, but the WARL approached us last week about possibly moving the game. Personally, I am looking forward to playing at that stadium. It'll also be a bonus for me because I live much closer to MembersEquity Stadium than I do either Admiral Reserve or Arena Joondalup!

albert

Juniors
This is taken off the NSWRL website,note the crowd figures.

The Sydney Bulls run of success against arch local rivals Chester Hill continued unabated running over the top of the Rhinos 42-14 before a crowd of 200 at the Crest Stadium.

The Windsor Wolves, inspired by representative half-back Craig Trindall were too strong for a defiant Campbelltown Eagles team 32-20 before a crowd of 500 at Campbelltown Showground.

The Cabramatta Two Blues turned in a first class performance to beat the high flying?Shellharbour Marlins 36-20 in front of 300 spectators at New Era Stadium.

Wentworthville defeated the WA Reds before 1100 spectators at a wet and slippery Members Equity Stadium in Perth.

Belrose ran riot over first placed Mounties, winning 52-10 before a crowd of 500 at Lionel?Watts Reserve.

Erina kept their top five aspirations alive after they proved too strong for the Southern Sydney Sharks 30-14 before a crowd of 200 at Sutherland Oval.