What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referees coaching players.

Knight76

Juniors
Has to stop. Why is it the refs job to be coaching the players on field?

In the raiders/Storm game now, the storm kicked a ball dead and the Canberra player scooped it up and is running back to the 20 to take the quick tap.

The whole time the ref is saying, Running running running running running running to alert Melbourne that there is a quick tap on.

If Melbourne can't get their defense set then tough shit.

Same for scrums etc, if not enough in the scrum the ref is there telling them you need one more etc, if they don't get enough and that annoying buzzer goes penalty, if they pack in with not enough players penalty.

Taking a tap, the ref often yells out use your foot, he just said it in the Raiders/storm game.

It's ridiculous. The ref is there to adjudicate the game not tell professional players how to play.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
They cop so much criticism for every major call, can you blame them for trying to avoid them????

Why blow an off-side penalty, decided the game and get on the front page of mondays paper when a "oi Mick. Take a step back mate" avoids the whole situation.

We kick the refs like dogs every time they make a call and then we're surprised when they try to avoid these calls?? come on man....

Knight76

Juniors
Rubbish, the refs blow plenty of penalties, too many a lot of the time. And don't tell me they don't keep track of the penalty count and even them up.

They don't need to be telling players how to play the game.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Rubbish, the refs blow plenty of penalties, too many a lot of the time. And don't tell me they don't keep track of the penalty count and even them up.

They don't need to be telling players how to play the game.

Hahaha, you argue that they give too many then you argue that they dont give enough...

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I thought this evenings game was superbly refereed.

Cecchin was in control and penalised the ruck fairly and equally. Made a firm, fair and quick decision to use the sin bin also.

Hope he gets the GF.

Danish

Referee
It's the players coaching the refs that needs to stop first.

Ultimately it all comes down to referees doing nothing to earn respect of players, combined with the biggest names in the game being praised for having zero respect for referees (how many times do people suck off cammy for his ability to intimidate and bully refs?)

Doomednow

Bench
We want a fast game but we also want a properly reffed game. "Coaching" players is as close to a happy medium as we are going to get.