What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refs who aren't so bad right now

Meth

Staff member
All of us have referees that make us cringe when we see them listed to officiate our matches- but who are the referees that you breathe a sigh of relief when you see down to take your match?

For me, I like Grant Atkins. I feel like we typically seem to get fair shake with him. I also don't find him eager to be too prominent.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I don't care who they are, if they're gay, if their wife is a touch judge etc.

Just officiate consistently and firmly.

Everyone will make mistakes, as long as they learn from them I can live with that.

Tim Mander was my favourite ref of all time. Was a goofy looking bloke but didn't take any shit, but respected the players at the same time. Also, importantly, loved the game and loved reffing it.

simmo05

Bench
I don't care who they are, if they're gay, if their wife is a touch judge etc.

Just officiate consistently and firmly.

Everyone will make mistakes, as long as they learn from them I can live with that.

Tim Mander was my favourite ref of all time. Was a goofy looking bloke but didn't take any shit, but respected the players at the same time. Also, importantly, loved the game and loved reffing it.
Now he is a bloody politician

Spade

Juniors
It seems the “top” refs eg. Sutton f**k up the most while blokes like Badger fly under the radar and are consistently good.

Timbo

Staff member
I remember getting Big League back in the early-mid 2000s and checking to see who you'd gotten that week. You'd groan if it was Tony Archer or Shayne Hayne. You'd be hoping for Harrigan or Mander, but even if you missed them you still had Sean Hampstead, Paul Simpkins or Steve Clark.

The current lot makes the above look like a group of f**king refereeing savants.

Canard

Immortal
All of us have referees that make us cringe when we see them listed to officiate our matches- but who are the referees that you breathe a sigh of relief when you see down to take your match?

For me, I like Grant Atkins. I feel like we typically seem to get fair shake with him. I also don't find him eager to be too prominent.

I don't watch enough games to make a call.....

typicalfan

Coach
Badger and Cecchin. They aren’t perfect, they make errors but human error always happens I think they back themselves the most.

Can’t stand Cummins

Springs09

Juniors
They are all fine. Over-pressured by the NRL changing rules all the time, media dickheads and the thousands of geniused NRL fans who think they know the game.

Ceccin is now the hard-done by best ref in the game apparently but over the last 2 years he was the worst ref ever.

carcharias

Immortal
I like the guy that reffed us last week against Raiders

He missed a few things
Forward pass from dummy half for raiders first try
And raiders last try.
Rapana who is offside in the sharks line drops the shoulder into Paulo while he is trying to get across in cover.
It stops him tackling the dude who gets a pass away to the try scorer.
Other than those two huge leg ups to the raiders he went real good.

Lambretta

First Grade
Badger and Checcin are by far the best two
Ashley Klein, Ben Cummins & Perenara are all fine

To be honest, I don't have a problem with on field officiating - I really don't
If you're running and there are people getting in between you and what is going on, you're occasionally going to get things wrong. Rugby League is a fast paced game and by and large the referees do a decent job. I can live with the odd mistake

However, I have a serious issue with the way the game manages the referees

Having two men on the field doesn't halve the number of issues, it doubles them
GO BACK TO ONE REFEREE
Finding a brilliant, first class referee is a hard thing to do. So instead of looking for 8 guys, we look for 16 and expect the quality of what is returned to go UP. Are we f**king insane? That's like doubling the number of teams and expecting the quality of the games to suddenly get better. Stupid, stupid, stupid. stupid f**king stupid

Get the hell out of the referees ears - back them to do a job and let them get on with it
The more technology we have introduced into the game the worse things have gotten
If you are running around trying to concentrate on what is unfolding in front of you, fatigue starts to play a part and the more information you receive the less you can concentrate on what is happening. You need to simplify what is happening, not make it exponentially more difficult.
The referees are seeing one thing, the man in stands is seeing something else, the bloke watching on TV sees something different again. What other job in the World has blokes in a different part of the Country getting in your ear, confusing you whilst you're working? The person BEST qualified to see what is going on is the bloke standing on the spot looking at it in real life. That's the referee. Not the bunker, not someone at HQ, not the refs boss. Let the referees control the game without interference

Stop referring decisions to the bunker for anything other than going into touch and groundings
If someone has created an obstruction and the referee hasn't seen it then good on them. Don't sit there for two or three minutes running plays backwards and forwards trying to see if this person ran this line, or caught the ball on the inside or outside shoulder or if a defender came in or the attacker ran into the defender until we all die of boredom. Stop it. Just bloody stop it. The NRL places a massive amount of importance on quick play the balls and speeding the game up and then we put the game on hold for 20 minutes per game looking at replays. It's great for K F f**king C but it's absolute dog shite for the rest of us.

No, I am not Phil Gould. f**king hell, I sound like him

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think they should trial a match without refs, where the players use the honesty system.

Personally I think Storm vs Cronulla would be the best one..