What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remember The 2001 Eels And How Good They Were Going To Be?

During The 2001 Season How Many Premierships Did You Think The Eels Were Going To Win Over The Next

• None

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Five Or More

• Total voters

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Colonel I'm 150% sure that Sullivan was playing in that semi-final and made a few good runs.

Here's the team that took on the Warriors:

1. Brett Hodgson
2. Luke Burt
3. Jamie Lyon
4. David Vaeliki
5. Jason Moodie
6. Michael Buettner
7. Jason Taylor
8. Nathan Cayless [c]
9. Brad Drew
10. Alex Chan
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ian Hindmarsh
13. Daniel Wagon

14. PJ Marsh
15. Chad Robinson
16. David Solomona
17. Danny Sullivan

Missing: Michael Vella (suspension), Andrew Ryan (injury), Daniel Irvine (first division)

Parramatta 56 (Hodgson 2, Wagon 2, Burt, Lyon, Vaeliki, Taylor, I Hindmarsh tries; Taylor 7, Burt 3 goals)
Warriors 12 (Tony, Koopu tries; Cleary 2 goals)

JJ

Immortal
I reckoned 2 or 3 in a decade. I think the people that said they'd win no premierships are being a little revisionist about it.

They were a super side - but were well beaten by a better side on the day in the grand final. The first half that Newcastle put in that day was one of the best I've ever seen.

They then became victims of their own success (and the salary cap). Losing Hindmarsh, Ryan, Grothe, Schif, Cayless, Drew etc etc.

Loosing Hindmarsh, Ryan and Cayless (and keeping Vella, Solomona, and Widders!!!) was what has hurt them the most, in my opinion. Those three were high quality forwards. And of course, they have never had high quality halves, which many believe is a necessity!

The Colonel

Immortal
PARRA_FAN said:
Colonel I'm 150% sure that Sullivan was playing in that semi-final and made a few good runs.

No worries mate, I've never seen the game as I was in Russia at the time. Only ever heard the score and some small snippets from videos and such.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Colonel Eel said:
PARRA_FAN said:

No worries mate, I've never seen the game as I was in Russia at the time. Only ever heard the score and some small snippets from videos and such.

How's Russia are they big on League over there?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Thats good to hear, I hope Russia can do well in Rugby League, theyve a got a good future ahead of them.

Iafeta

Referee
What a bench that day Parra had then.

Sullivan=Possible superstar, junior megastar
PJ Marsh=As we all now know
Solomona=Behind front rowers going forward and the defence going back very dangerous
Robinson=I rate this guy very, very, very highly

Red Bear

Referee
JT was an awesome player and had his best year since 97 that season. I was surprised he retired.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Iafeta said:
What a bench that day Parra had then.

Sullivan=Possible superstar, junior megastar
PJ Marsh=As we all now know
Solomona=Behind front rowers going forward and the defence going back very dangerous
Robinson=I rate this guy very, very, very highly

I think Solomona plays in England now.

He never lived up to his potentail, in my opinion...

Cheers,
Ben S.

choc_soldier

Coach
They were one of the top teams from 1997-2001, when they seemed to make the prelims every year, but then lose it, except in 2001, when they actually made the grand final, and were expected to beat the Knights.

Despite losing, I thought they were building a dynasty, where the next decade would yield a number of titles. The 2001 squad was absolutely awesome - one of the best club teams ever IMO - and looked unbeatable.

What has happened since 2001, with a systematic and gradual dismantling of a winning squad, has been both bewildering and sad to see.

They are still competitve, but have probably missed a golden opportunity. Give them a couple of years, and they should hopefully be back somewhere near the top, just as long as Brian Smith and the Eels management just LEAVE IT ALONE!

Now, their younger brother (Penrith) is on the cusp of a magic period! :D

How times change...

Jason Taylor was the biggest choker in the NRL. I knew he was a bad signing for parra because he wasnt going to be around come finals time.

Sure he was in the lineup, but being the magician that Taylor was in the big game, he always managed to dissapear! :lol: