What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remembering the Anderson Era

Alan Shore

First Grade
Knightmare said:
The Knights played under par that day, I was there and for someone who watches the mighty red and blues week in, week out, it was easy to see they were playing far from mighty. Still, I'd rather follow the side with 2 Premierships in 16 years :)

I don't know why you are bragging about success in first division.

Macca

Coach
Sharks and Bronco's would have smashed either Manly or Newcastle in 97, no doubts there.

As for Ando, it's no secret that I thought he was going to be good for us. Now we will never know so I have moved on and now support Stuey.

In reflection though, I would say that Ando's triumphs were our comeback in 2002 and the squad he has given us this year. If I was Stuey Raper I would be licking my lips in anticipation.

Aries

Bench
The best thing about CA is he is GOOOOOOOONNNNEEE!!!

No apologise. He was a cancer that needed removing!!!

There is NO argument against that, in my eyes...

Bring on 2004 to prove it ;-)

If nothing else, his idiotic and ill informed comments will not be all over the papers every week...

warren

Juniors

Bring on 2004 to prove it

if there is success in 2004 it will have something to do with anderson

Aries

Bench
warren said:

Bring on 2004 to prove it

if there is success in 2004 it will have something to do with anderson

Yep..

He ain't there no more and harmony has returned ;-)

SadShark

Bench
The debacles are what I will remember the Anderson era for. That disgraceful, record thrashing by Parra foremost, the toweling we got from the Tigers was another.
Let's not lose sight of the drubbings we got from ordinary teams in 03. It was a horror year - the worst since 1993, so he did give us a 10 year revival of form.
As the Popper said, we want the big one and nothing less. There is not another team in the comp who deserves it more after so much time and effort since the club's inception in 1967.
Good luck Stuart, Good riddance Ando.

Shark

Bench
I agree with most ppl that Anderson has given us a new 'ruthlessness' and a reasonably solid and youthful squad for the next season or two. That said, his unprofessional and underhanded treatment of several regular first graders was unforgivable and that is, IMO, a huge part of why he is no longer here.

What I won't miss are his unsportsmanlike, ill-thought out comments at post-match press conferences, his shabby and unprofessional appearance in front of TV cameras and his lack of regard for our club heritage. That is, our family-oriented approach based on fairness, loyalty and local people - Players, officials and fans alike. Anderson famously chose to call it a 'Losing Culture', however Shane Richardson, John Lang and Preston Campbell certainly had the last laugh there, and debunked the Anderson 'Nice Guys Don't Win' theory in one easy motion.

The return of ET to the team environment will help restore some of that Black, White and Blue heritage, but that's only the start.

TeamSatan

Juniors
Anderson should always be remembered for setting preston free to win a premiership.
Heart of gold that.

Shark

Bench
Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke either, TS. You just make sure you Panthers fans treat Preston well...

Alan Shore

First Grade
Salmon said:
Nothing wrong with Capelin. He is a good family friend and a bloody good player!

That's true, but he only got limited opportunities when Treister and Ferris were injured. Besides, we haven't seen him since that game at Marathon in 2001.

I think CA instilled what he wanted in the club's fanbase: the EXPECTATION to win. And it was, ironically, that which led to his own downfall! :lol:

Knightmare

Coach
PJ said:
Did the half come off for the divided comps or the stench of the +ve drug tests in the squad?

Nope. The half comes from the comp that we stayed LOYAL to, even when we were threatened with extinction in the form of the Hunter Mariners. Loyalty. Passion. Pride. The three qualities the Knights are built on.

Knightmare

Coach
McSharkie said:
Sharks and Bronco's would have smashed either Manly or Newcastle in 97, no doubts there.

Lol, dream on! Manly were THE team of the mid '90s, no doubt, and the Sharks didn't even make the top 10 in '98! Newcastle finished near the top, and the Broncos won the comp, but had there been no split comp in '97, Manly would've smashed Cronulla and Brisbane, and Newcastle could've beat the Broncos. If only some clubs hadn't gone off to SuperLeague :roll: .......

Aries

Bench
Knightmare said:
McSharkie said:

Lol, dream on! Manly were THE team of the mid '90s, no doubt, and the Sharks didn't even make the top 10 in '98! Newcastle finished near the top, and the Broncos won the comp, but had there been no split comp in '97, Manly would've smashed Cronulla and Brisbane, and Newcastle could've beat the Broncos. If only some clubs hadn't gone off to SuperLeague :roll: .......

Slap, slap... wake up... your dreaming and talking in your sleep again...

The cream played in the Super League comp, the crap didn't get invited. Just kidding... ;-)

It is ridiculous for either of you to state what you did, as the 2 comps were different, even different rules and setups in those comps...

Both of you are comparing apples to oranges...

BTW knightmare, your team fell over the line in the last few seconds in 97. Your team arsed it mate :p

wittyfan

Referee
Brisbane were easily the best side from both comps in 1997, Manly has begun their slide and Newcastle were good but nothing overly great. Cronulla had a terrible run of injuries in 1998, and if they had much more luck that year, would have probably have made the Top 4 at least.

Brisbane were easily the best side from both comps in 1997,

I dont think they were that much better than the Sharks, they just got lucky with that grand final at their home ground. They were much better on the night but having read comments by Mat Rogers, it really didnt feel like a GF for the Sharks and they were like fish out of water playing in Brisbane.

The only ARL game I watched in 97 was the second half of the grand final. What a boring comp the ARL was.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Knightmare said:
McSharkie said:

Brisbane were by far and away superior to Manly and Newcastle. The comment about Cronulla reeks of ignorance as well, by the way. After '97 we lost two high calibre players in NZ Test stars Tawera Nikau (Best. Lock. Ever.) and Barnett, plus ET suffered a neck injury and played hardly any games along with a horrific injury toll.