What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retain 6,7,9 and Manly will be fine

The story of the season has been pretty much that Manly have somehow been hanging by a thread on the field from what has happened off it - All stemming from Glenn Stewart's departure.

Pessimistic Manly fans and I've read a few opinions of such fans who are filthy at those who have stood by Glenn in a manner that would see them ask for a release, Have also cried wolf stating it is the end of the world and it could be the beginning of a dark time for the club.

The fortunate thing is that their only seems to be four or five players that are still dirty at the club for the contract saga regarding Gift and I think that no further harm can be done sparking an even bigger exodus.

Their may be a set back in the clubs successes for 2015 if all of the above names are granted a release but i suspect by the end of the season it will be minimal - The team may take time to gel in all cylinders with such an aberrant change in the roster.

At the end of the day every club needs a new chapter and while people suggest the cliche "If it ain't broke then don't fix it" - It's much better to have players that actually WANT to play for the club.

If your mob retains Matt Ballin, Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran for the longer term then replacing Watmough, Stewart x 2 & Matai must still proceed although the heat to replace them with like-able players won't be as heavy-handed.

The hard part is to seek those who want a new opportunity at Brookvale and assist in negotiating them releases with the support of their respective managers - Manly is a very attractive club just due to their history and recent success at the top so I don't think their will be a lack of suitors to be in the new class of Sea-Eagle.

Last edited:

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I don't think losing B Stewart, Lyon (later) and Matai is going to be easy to replace in the longer term. Assuming we lose any of them next season, there is going to be some holes. Quality centres are hard to find, and being blessed with 2 awesome ones for so long takes a lot of pressure of the other key positions. Brett is a one of a kind player. He is the only back at the club that seems capable under the high ball. Lyon probably the other I guess, more often in attack though. Gutherson and Hiku could move to fullback. Taufua will need to learn to catch to remain on the wing. I can't see what we will do with wolfie. Kick returns is the only gain out of replacing Brett Stewart.

We need more depth in the hooker position. Hodges is probably too light for hooker in first grade. He needs to beef up. He is quick though.

If we lose the player suggested in the papers, we need to find some decent forwards and probably a winger. Centre is the hard one. We need to keep Matai if we can. But not if the heart isn't in it.

Long term the club needs to make sure it has the best recruitment and trainers in the game. We need to recruit well each year to hold onto both Foran and DCE as they will be taking up considerable amounts of our salary cap. Turnover will be high like Melbourne, and getting players to form plays will take time in both attack and defence.

Dutchy

Immortal
I have faith in a future back line of

Trbo/Guth
Taufua/Blair/trbo x2/Guth
Hiku
Satini
Trbo/Guth

eozsmiles

Bench
They can't all be guns. If they were we would win both lower grades.

They do have some potential though. In the backline, Hiku is a first grader now and made his test debut this year. Gutherson has had played junior rep footy since he was in nappies and should start first grade next year, assuming they lose a back. And I read that T'vic kid is 17 and scored 20 odd tries in 16 Holden cup games this year, so he has definitely got some upside on his peers, but might be a few years away from the top grade. In the forwards, S'ao, Chee-Kam, and the older T'vic all had excellent u/20's careers and will be moving into first grade in 2015 with the losses of King, Stewart, and likely Watmough.

It's exciting watching teams rebuild and Manly are traditionally strong, so it should be interesting. I think they've been planning this for a couple of years. They have a stack of players under 25 on contract so I think it's clear they have made their mind up about some key parts of their future squad. Or at least decided that 2014/15 was the time to re-shape the squad.

Keffola

Juniors
I think our back line is fine for next couple of years even considering for Brett/Matai leaving and Lyon's retirement coming.

But it's our forwards which have fallen short this year. Quite a few games where they got dominated (Souths games highlighting it even more) and it's only a testament to how good our backline is that we did as well as we did.

Losing Glen for the season and Watmough playing injured didn't help this year. But next year we lose Glen for good as well as King, and as we haven't signed anyone yet, it'll have to be some juniors that step up.

Last edited:
As has been said, all players are replaceable, as long as there's some money (unfortunately, this is the case in the present state of this planet) we'll be going quite well at least. Clint Gutherson has looked good so far, he could replace B Stewart next year if it was necessary. Obviously it's in the centres that we'll have to buy it seems, and we have possibly with T Satini.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I'm still concerned about the amount of salary cap chewed up by having two expensive halves long term. They both know each others games so well and complement each other perfectly. Having expensive halves isn't always a lock to success. Thurston is a prime example. At least the cap isn't as tight I guess.

We have been a production line for halves with Hasler and Toovey. We will need to keep quality youth nearby just in case we lose one or both at any stage during a season.

I still think we might lose one. Hopefully not both though, and hopefully not in the next few seasons.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Balin is 30 and has played massive minutes could eventually breakdown - I know he is super fit.

Hodges was unwhelming.

Who is the the third string hooker for Manly?

firechild

First Grade
Balin is 30 and has played massive minutes could eventually breakdown - I know he is super fit.

Hodges was unwhelming.

Who is the the third string hooker for Manly?

Hodges is the 3rd choice currently. Buhrer would be second choice but he busted his knee in the same game Ballin got injured.

firechild

First Grade
As has been said, all players are replaceable, as long as there's some money (unfortunately, this is the case in the present state of this planet) we'll be going quite well at least. Clint Gutherson has looked good so far, he could replace B Stewart next year if it was necessary. Obviously it's in the centres that we'll have to buy it seems, and we have possibly with T Satini.

We? I thought you were a Storm fan and a Rabbitohs fan? Now you're pretending to be a Manly fan too?