What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retro Games

Bulldog Force

Referee
I never got into the raw is war or attitude. I found the moves too difficult but I did like the presentation and the in game movies on the playstation.

How about those wcw games. Remember wcw nitro and wcw thunder. God they sucked. I remember reading about thunder and thinking wow it sounds awesome. Then it came out and I tried so hard to like it

Also wcw vs the world sucked balls. I traded like 20 snes games for that as a kid. I regret that.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

YOU IDIOT!

Bulldog Force

Referee
There were plenty of great Wrestling games back in the day. Even the ones that didn't include WWF/E wrestling, just random wrestling games.

There was one I played on the Master System called "Pro Wrestling" and it was released way back in 1987.

Despite how old it was, it was an awesome game. The moves were great, the colours were bright, and the referee would even count 1, 2, 3, and back then for a cartridge to be able to make those talking sounds was unreal.

BoxArt-ProWrestling.jpg

pw.jpg

3.png

InFlames

Juniors
I never got into the raw is war or attitude. I found the moves too difficult but I did like the presentation and the in game movies on the playstation.

How about those wcw games. Remember wcw nitro and wcw thunder. God they sucked. I remember reading about thunder and thinking wow it sounds awesome. Then it came out and I tried so hard to like it

Also wcw vs the world sucked balls. I traded like 20 snes games for that as a kid. I regret that.

Haha, I actually fired those two up yesterday. The gameplay is shocking and the camera constantly spins around the ring. Sort of like watching WCW after drinking a bottle of Jack Daniels I imagine.
They did have awesome "Rants" you could view for each wrestler in the character menu which were basically 10 second promos. There were also heaps of unlockable wrestlers and characters. By the end of it, I was playing as a giant bear powerbombing a evil clown outside the ring and I thought, WTF am i playing...

There were plenty of great Wrestling games back in the day. Even the ones that didn't include WWF/E wrestling, just random wrestling games.

There was one I played on the Master System called "Pro Wrestling" and it was released way back in 1987.

Despite how old it was, it was an awesome game. The moves were great, the colours were bright, and the referee would even count 1, 2, 3, and back then for a cartridge to be able to make those talking sounds was unreal.

I have that somewhere & I remember it playing quite well. Its a shame about the box art on some of the Master System games though huh.

Those 64 games set the bar for wrestling games for mine. Although the Smackdown series on the PS1 was huge, WCW/NWO World tour, WCW Revenge, Wrestlemania 200 & No Mercy were just way too addictive. I only wish those WCW games had real entrance music instead of that stock 64 music...

In terms of the worst ones, I'd say this is one of em

8871_front.jpg

Bulldog Force

Referee
I didn't played many of them on N64, but yeah I agree Smackdown on PS1 and WM2000 were pretty good.

Mayhem I completely agree. I played that on Gameboy Color and that was one of the worst wrestling games I ever played... it appeared to be a rush job.

Also WCW Nitro on the PC installed in like 30 seconds... that was shocking too lol. I can sympathise with the developers as Wrestling games would have to be the hardest to program.

I didn't played many of them on N64, but yeah I agree Smackdown on PS1 and WM2000 were pretty good.

Mayhem I completely agree. I played that on Gameboy Color and that was one of the worst wrestling games I ever played... it appeared to be a rush job.

Also WCW Nitro on the PC installed in like 30 seconds... that was shocking too lol. I can sympathise with the developers as Wrestling games would have to be the hardest to program.

wcw nitro was worse than mayhem
i only had a p90 so maybe the reason for it was my crappy pc

I have that somewhere & I remember it playing quite well. Its a shame about the box art on some of the Master System games though huh.

Those 64 games set the bar for wrestling games for mine. Although the Smackdown series on the PS1 was huge, WCW/NWO World tour, WCW Revenge, Wrestlemania 200 & No Mercy were just way too addictive. I only wish those WCW games had real entrance music instead of that stock 64 music...

In terms of the worst ones, I'd say this is one of em

8871_front.jpg

i sometimes feel like im the only one who loves the simple master system box art :(

InFlames

Juniors
i sometimes feel like im the only one who loves the simple master system box art :(

Some of it is great, dont get me wrong...

_-Vigilante-Sega-Master-System-_.jpg

_-Shinobi-Sega-Master-System-_.jpg

And some of them are embarrassingly bad, almost like someone's kids drew them.

my-hero-usa-europe.png

Quartet_Master_System_Boxart.jpg

Interesting link you shared re-box art Bulldog, some classics in there that instantly make you want to play the games.

Anyone have a favourite game box cover?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Some of it is great, dont get me wrong...

_-Vigilante-Sega-Master-System-_.jpg

_-Shinobi-Sega-Master-System-_.jpg

Interesting link you shared re-box art Bulldog, some classics in there that instantly make you want to play the games.

Anyone have a favourite game box cover?

Oh yeah, I have heaps for the Master System... where do I start...?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Played a ridiculous amount of Rampage as a kid.

Did that game have an ending? Didn't seem to.

It did, but like most 8-bit games, it was very basic.

A picture frame of 3 buildings is displayed in the centre of the screen. Lizzie walks across and hits it, but nothing happens, then Ralph walks in, hits it, and the centre building falls down. Then George walks in, hits it, and both the left and right buildings fall down. He smiles, then the picture frame falls on him and he shrinks back down to human form.

It's in this video from 9:14 onwards. Pretty short.

[youtube]iQiQFAcl8EM[/youtube]

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Speaking of retro wrestling games, did anyone ever play Power Move Pro Wrestling on PS1? Was a port of a Japanese game series at the time, with all the characters being existing wrestlers with crazy character names and different looks.
Remember coming across it randomly at a videogame shop while on holiday back around late 96 / early 97, so the anticipation of having to wait a few days to play it was unbearable!

I played it before any of the '3D' WWF or WCW games (chronologically it would've been just after the WWF Wrestlemania/In Your House arcade-style games), so it was totally amazing at the time.
While there wasn't an amazing amount of moves compared to later games, for the time it felt revolutionary (especially stuff like the giant swing or the corner backflip kick which I'd never seen in games before), and made for some fun matches. Also have a special spot for the humour in the announcer introductions and crowd chants (Ay Carumba, What's all that shaking and THUNDAAAH!!!)

Must crack that out again, pretty sure I grabbed it from parents place one time, must be somewhere in my flat!

Bulldog Force

Referee
Speaking of retro wrestling games, did anyone ever play Power Move Pro Wrestling on PS1? Was a port of a Japanese game series at the time, with all the characters being existing wrestlers with crazy character names and different looks.
Remember coming across it randomly at a videogame shop while on holiday back around late 96 / early 97, so the anticipation of having to wait a few days to play it was unbearable!

I played it before any of the '3D' WWF or WCW games (chronologically it would've been just after the WWF Wrestlemania/In Your House arcade-style games), so it was totally amazing at the time.
While there wasn't an amazing amount of moves compared to later games, for the time it felt revolutionary (especially stuff like the giant swing or the corner backflip kick which I'd never seen in games before), and made for some fun matches. Also have a special spot for the humour in the announcer introductions and crowd chants (Ay Carumba, What's all that shaking and THUNDAAAH!!!)

Must crack that out again, pretty sure I grabbed it from parents place one time, must be somewhere in my flat!

I haven't actually heard about that one before. I'm guessing that at the time of its release, the new WWE releases were probably dominating the wrestling games genre. There are heaps upon heaps of retro gems available when it comes to retro wrestling games. Some of them are rare and some of them you wouldn't think were released - this one here that you mentioned is a prime example of one I've never heard of before. I might give it a go and try and find a copy on eBay :)

Timbo

Staff member
Haha, I've been playing it for the last 30 minutes and still can't get past level 1!

Where's 7 year old me to do it?

Latest posts