What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Return of gaz

Cagey Mac

Bench
First thing I heard on the wireless this fine morning was (paraphrasing) "Hi I'm Mark Gasnier and as you probably know, I'm back in the NRL with the Mighty Dragons bla bla best game of all bla bla and I've also signed with the NRL's best newspaper the Daily Telecrap bla bla and I've got a bit to say about the NRL and rugby league etc."
I checked that I was awake and knew that it was real when my 7YO daughter complained about breakfast and having to go to school.
I know that the reason it took so long was the Dragons painstaking process in order to show transparency
3rd Party agreements number 4-6
I also know that there was great angst when he was shorted by previous 3rd party sponsors and that playing for us means a lot to him.
I think Scotty will make it onto the bench in SOO 3 which is appropriate but who can guess what the NRL selectors will do

TheMightyRedV

Juniors
^ yeah was re-assuring hearing that comment...Wayne can only have a good effect on Mark. I don't think Beau has any issue moving back to backrow either. What im loving about the Red V is the players are willing to play anywhere out of respect for Wayne - he's doing it right.

Exciting times ahead :oops:

steela

Juniors
this has probably already been asked and answered... but how does he fit under the salery cap?
i'm confused!

Simo

First Grade
this has probably already been asked and answered... but how does he fit under the salery cap?
i'm confused!

A backended contract, payed bugger all this year and then most of it in the latter years.

big pat

Coach
Yes. Seems to have matured quite a deal. I like what he says at the end regarding Kyle Stanley and the younger blokes in general coming through (won't spoil it)

hey great to meet up at the club on friday night, i hope minge looked after you, and it had a perfect ending to the night, some tigers fans were saying we had a bit of luck and it took to the 75min to win, don't know about that, ask luke priddis, prior,soward,saffy,boyd, were great, and the more i see of stanley, only 19 but boy can he mix up, defends well and does the hard yards as well, and nighty our many times did he take the ball up, seem to be everywhere,as for gasnier he is a match winner, and very excited about him playing under bennett.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Minimal retainer say 50k is allowable under salary cap
Match payments 4 or 5K per match depends on who you believe
$100K - $150K PA in 3rd party payments from non-Dragons sponsors
All done in agreement with NRL and all above board
That's for this year and then retainer backed up by 3rd party and new cap concessions

Last edited:

RedVDave

First Grade
Yes. Seems to have matured quite a deal. I like what he says at the end regarding Kyle Stanley and the younger blokes in general coming through (won't spoil it)

Yeah that was one of the first impressions I got from the interview, he seemed genuinely upset and somehwhat regretful about leaving us before, and very excited to be back.

The most intersting part for mine was when he said he spoke to Bennett in Febuary (call me slow/forgetful but I did not know of this previously) which for mine is a very good indiction that the players have known for some time he will be back, so there wont be any resenment when he takes someones spot in the 17 also means he was in our plans all along this year.

I'm very excited!

TheRev

First Grade
4.5 year contract at Age 29.. I have to say this scares me, I hope we are covered if he breaks his leg tomorrow and never plays again??

I know that sounds harsh, but thats a very long time to have somebody tied to our squad (especially at that price).

Edit: Ok got to watch the interview, he does sound like if for some reason he doesn't perform in future years, he wont stand in the way of young kids coming through, whatever that means?

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
lol @ french holiday.

Also forgot to mention that it appears Saints are giving him his gravy train into retirement, what is Gasniers incentive to perform at the top of his game? Maybe some inventive payments for Origin/Rep duty?

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
lol @ french holiday.

Also forgot to mention that it appears Saints are giving him his gravy train into retirement, what is Gasniers incentive to perform at the top of his game? Maybe some inventive payments for Origin/Rep duty?
A premiership ring.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol @ french holiday.

I don't think he is short of a coin. I've not heard of any first grade player that wants to be beaten on the field. There's your incentive.

A lot of elite players continue on after 'retirement', playing for very little in the country for example.

It may sound like glass-half-full stuff, but these blokes just love playing the game. And especially for those professionals that make it to first grade, they love winning.

RedVDave

First Grade
Future salary cap changes to benefit Dragons, Gasnier

markgasnier4-420x0.jpg
Fired up ... Mark Gasnier is a happy man at yesterday's announcement he will return to St George Illawarra on a four-and-a-half year deal.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said he was comfortable Mark Gasnier had been placed under the Dragons' salary cap ''at a reasonable figure'' for 2010, after insisting the club review their initial intention to sign the former Test centre for only $50,000 for the rest of the season.
Gallop and Dragons chief executive Peter Doust both declined to comment on exactly what portion of Gasnier's heavily back-ended four-and-a-half year contract was listed under the $4.1 million cap for this year after he officially rejoined the club yesterday. But the Herald understands the figure is approximately $120,000.
Lengthy negotiations between Doust and the NRL were required to get the Gasnier deal over the line and it has been accompanied with scepticism in some quarters about just how a player of such quality could be allowed to be the recipient of such a low fee within the salary cap.

However, Gallop said yesterday the Dragons had been convinced to increase their initial $50,000 half-season valuation significantly.
''We had a bit of argy-bargy about the initial figure that they were looking to put him in at for the remainder of 2010,'' Gallop said.
''They've now got him in the cap at a reasonable figure. We also accepted that it is a fairly unusual situation and clearly to have him back in the game is good as well.''
Doust said the Gasnier contract, which keeps him at the club until the end of 2014, had been struck with an eye to future changes to the salary cap, which include a $100,000 rise in the cap itself, the relaxing of rules regulating third-party payments and a doubling of the $150,000 allowance for marquee players. ''They aren't actually [ratified] in the regulations. But we can be optimistic in 2012, '13 and '14 that … it will all work come that time,'' Doust said.
''I think we can expect an increase in the playing salary cap, we can also expect increases in allowances for arrangements outside the cap - existing sponsors and third-party sponsors - and there's likely to be an increase in long-term player allowances. Everything that has happened in the cap sense has worked in our favour. We're in a time of changing circumstances with the salary cap. That has obviously had an impact in what we could achieve in the latter years.''
Doust would not elaborate on the total value of Gasnier's deal but said the $1.9m figure reported yesterday was incorrect. He agreed that it had been a ''complicated negotiation process''.
The response from rival NRL clubs yesterday was to urge consistency from the league given the unusual nature of the back-ended deal.
''Rules for one, rules for all,'' Penrith chief executive Mick Leary said. ''If they give the OK on that … if we get into that situation, or any other club, they should be allowed the same principles.''
Australian Rugby Union boss John O'Neill said rugby officials were not overly concerned Mark Gasnier had returned to league.
''I'm pretty indifferent about it, actually,'' O'Neill said. ''Other parts of rugby showed a keen interest in Mark Gasnier, but I wouldn't say the ARU were falling over themselves. And that's not because he has gone back to the NRL. He wasn't a must-sign player for us, and whilst the Rebels and others engaged him, the ARU was very much on the sidelines. It's a bit of a blip for us, neither here nor there.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...to-benefit-dragons-gasnier-20100628-zf84.html

Latest posts