What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Return of the sin-bin

langpark

First Grade
Maybe if the refs didn’t coach. You’re off side Cam, don’t go near him Cam, Billy don’t put it there... that sort of thing
I think the purpose of that is to minimise penalties, which I think most will agree is a good thing.

I hate how they use names instead of shirt numbers though. Some refs seem more interested in being buddies with the players rather than just being a ref.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Maybe if the refs didn’t coach. You’re off side Cam, don’t go near him Cam, Billy don’t put it there... that sort of thing
referees never tell players ... don't go near him

they tell the player they're offside
what that player does with that information is his business
if he becomes involved , he'll be penalised

to not tell a player he's offside would result in so many penalties , the game would never get out of first gear

Front-Rower

First Grade
The opposition have more say in who goes to the sin bin then the refs. Players need to stop influencing refs by putting their hands in their air.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
referees never tell players ... don't go near him

they tell the player they're offside
what that player does with that information is his business
if he becomes involved , he'll be penalised

to not tell a player he's offside would result in so many penalties , the game would never get out of first gear
It's not f**king preschool.

langpark

First Grade
I think they need to do something about this instant quick tap that players are doing when they are near the try line straight after the penalty is given. Absolutely no opportunity for the players to get back onside, so there are times where the player literally has only two choices, sin-bin or concede the try.

Someguy

First Grade
This increase in penalties is all well and good if it achieves the desired result in the long run but I feel the advantage should have been played on many of the penalties given this weekend.

Can't help but feel if the ref let out a big call of 'advantage' and let the play run untill the next tackle we would have a far more exciting game. Teams would make all sort of risky plays under advantage and likely more tries would result

T-Boon

Coach
Can't help but feel if the ref let out a big call of 'advantage' and let the play run untill the next tackle we would have a far more exciting game. Teams would make all sort of risky plays under advantage and likely more tries would result

you would have defenders yelling out advantage just to get the A to do something reckless. It should be a hand single such as a crotch grab.

ed-grimley

Bench
If sin-binning isn't administered absolutely consistently during a match there is no point in having it.
The ref should say that a sin-bin is a warning to both sides.

LineBall

Juniors
Vossy suggested recently that they copy the superleague where the refs have a signal (waving arm around like a windmill) to signify that the next penalty will result in a binning. Stops them having to stop play, call over the captain and give an official warning. I don't get to watch the superleague, so I haven't seen it in action, but the idea sounds OK.

langpark

First Grade
Vossy suggested recently that they copy the superleague where the refs have a signal (waving arm around like a windmill) to signify that the next penalty will result in a binning. Stops them having to stop play, call over the captain and give an official warning. I don't get to watch the superleague, so I haven't seen it in action, but the idea sounds OK.
Yes, that's exactly what I said when we had the controversy a few weeks ago, where the captain was called over from centre position, and didn't make it back in time! It's a quick, simple way, to get the message across, rather than halting play, calling the captain over and having these stupid little chats all the time.

big hit!

Bench
I think they need to do something about this instant quick tap that players are doing when they are near the try line straight after the penalty is given. Absolutely no opportunity for the players to get back onside, so there are times where the player literally has only two choices, sin-bin or concede the try.

instead of whinging about the call, get back onside.

when has a ref or umpire ever reversed the call? once a penalty or a ruling has been given, the game moves on.

justdave

Juniors
instead of whinging about the call, get back onside.

when has a ref or umpire ever reversed the call? once a penalty or a ruling has been given, the game moves on.
Totally agree. But the problem is they’ll do something totally different in about 2 seconds flat for the same indescrection. Just want consistency

Saxon

Bench
Agreed, but that's not what I'm saying. A penalty is awarded, and the player immediately quick taps it. Not even Usain Bolt can get back onside in time.
That's called taking advantage. Nothing at all wrong with it.

Reactions: Vee

adamkungl

Immortal
Yes, that's exactly what I said when we had the controversy a few weeks ago, where the captain was called over from centre position, and didn't make it back in time! It's a quick, simple way, to get the message across, rather than halting play, calling the captain over and having these stupid little chats all the time.

Better yet, tell them if they give away repeat penalties they'll be sin binned BEFORE the game, and talk to the captain afterwards.
Why do they need a warning? They should already know what happens.

Reactions: Vee

TheFrog

Coach
Once they decide to sin bin someone for repeated infringements, they start penalising that team for having a hair out of place. Then the warning comes and then someone is binned. The decision appears to have been made several penalties earlier. This happened to several teams on the weekend. Kaide Ellis in his debut match didn't even know what he was binned for.