What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RFL HQ move to Manchester

RUGBY LEAGUE is set to get in bed with Manchester City by moving across the Pennines.

The 13-a-side game’s bosses are moving the Rugby Football League’s headquarters from Red Hall in Leeds this year.

PA:pRESS ASSOCIATION
Manchester City's Etihad Campus could become the new home of the Rugby Football League

And SunSport understands the Etihad Campus, the huge training and administration complex built opposite the Etihad Stadium, is the preferred choice.

It is felt moving there will give the sport easier access to City’s off-field knowhow, especially when it comes to gaining sponsors.

The English Institute of Sport centre which neighbours the stadium has also been used by England’s rugby league team for training sessions.

A move to the Etihad Campus could see the RFL work closely with Manchester City
And an amateur side, Manchester Rangers, plays out of the Manchester Regional Arena, the small stadium that was used as a warm-up track for the 2002 Commonwealth Games.

Thorpe Park in Leeds is the other site on the RFL’s shortlist as it looks for a new base during a massive shake-up, that included interim chief executive Ralph Rimmer and Super League general manager Mark Foster meeting promoter Eddie Hearn.

From the two-hour get-together in London, Hearn said he feels players should be made household names and indicated a desire to get involved with events like Magic Weekens and the Challenge Cup final.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/5720...ing-to-move-to-manchester-citys-super-centre/

roughyedspud

Coach
Moving to Manchester is good,I'd rather it be at media city,technically Salford,but hey ho..but if it means we get to use the Etihad rather than old Trafford then I won't grumble.

roughyedspud

Coach
Nah it's cos OT is a terrible stadium with terrible seating,terrible sightlines,terrible in goals etc...

When city finish expanding the other end,bringing the capacity up-to 64,000 I'd move the grand final there..so fans can watch the game in comfort and the players play on a pitch more suitable for RL..

Nah it's cos OT is a terrible stadium with terrible seating,terrible sightlines,terrible in goals etc...

When city finish expanding the other end,bringing the capacity up-to 64,000 I'd move the grand final there..so fans can watch the game in comfort and the players play on a pitch more suitable for RL..
Is it close to pubs for fans (just a general question)

deluded pom?

Coach

There’s nothing wrong with seats or sight lines at OT. The seats at Anfield were crap if you want to criticise seating.

The Rugby Football League has confirmed plans to relocate its base to Manchester's Etihad campus
The new National Rugby League Centre at the Etihad Campus is hoped to provide Rugby League with an iconic new home.

The switch sees an overall enhancement in facilities for every level of the game, from community rugby to the England senior teams.

Following an extensive process that began in 2016 and involved applications and proposals from a number of different councils based in the North of England, the Rugby Football League Board unanimously approved the proposal from Manchester City Council and the City Football Group in February.

"The move to the Etihad Campus is a genuinely exciting prospect and underlines the governing body's ambition to develop Rugby League across the spectrum of the sport," said RFL chairman Brian Barwick.

We want Rugby League to be a sport that future generations want to take part in and everyone has the chance to be involved with. This move will play its part in helping deliver that aspiration."

Following the move, the regional area is to be rebranded as the National Rugby League Centre.

Advertisement

"Moving to the Etihad Campus will be transformational for the sport of Rugby League on and off the field," said RFL interim chief executive, Ralph Rimmer

"The world-class facilities that will be made available to every level of the England set-up, from youth through to senior Men's and Women's, will mean that our international squads will have access to some of the best training, recovery and on-field sporting facilities available anywhere in the world.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.s...-football-league-to-relocate-to-etihad-campus

Pommy

Coach
I wonder if there’s any scope to have Etihad sponsorship involved with the RFL. We’re less than 4 years out from a reinvigorated World Cup.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/43302383

Rugby Football League (RFL) interim CEO Ralph Rimmer says the organisation's move to the Etihad Campus could help England win the 2021 World Cup.

The RFL is currently based in Leeds and Salford but will move to a new National Rugby League Centre at the site.

England's national teams will eventually use the new Centre to train ahead of international games.

"We want our elite teams to train and feel it's the home of rugby league," Rimmer told BBC Radio Manchester.

"Hopefully that will help them focus on bringing some silverware home in three years' time."

Rimmer has filled the role of interim chief executive since Nigel Wood left the position in January after a decade in the job.

Asked whether he would like to take the job on a permanent basis, Rimmer said: "Of course I would. We are one of the big five governing bodies and those jobs don't come along very often.

"I would expect there will be a fairly strong field. My hat is in the ring but we will see how we go."

Pommy

Coach
http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/43302383

Rugby Football League (RFL) interim CEO Ralph Rimmer says the organisation's move to the Etihad Campus could help England win the 2021 World Cup.

The RFL is currently based in Leeds and Salford but will move to a new National Rugby League Centre at the site.

England's national teams will eventually use the new Centre to train ahead of international games.

"We want our elite teams to train and feel it's the home of rugby league," Rimmer told BBC Radio Manchester.

"Hopefully that will help them focus on bringing some silverware home in three years' time."

Rimmer has filled the role of interim chief executive since Nigel Wood left the position in January after a decade in the job.

Asked whether he would like to take the job on a permanent basis, Rimmer said: "Of course I would. We are one of the big five governing bodies and those jobs don't come along very often.

"I would expect there will be a fairly strong field. My hat is in the ring but we will see how we go."

They were using the facilities prior to flying out to Australia. I remember watching a video on their Facebook in a gym which they could adjust the climate to suit oz.