Ridiculing Religion 2 - The Ridiculining

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by gUt, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Snoop

Snoop Coach

As stupid as blasphemy and hate speech laws are Ahok didn't even engage in such things. Pretty grim when Turkey and Indonesia, the shining lights of moderate Islamic countries start acting like they have recently.

Collateral likes this.
  2. 2_Smoking_Guns

2_Smoking_Guns First Grade

'Submit to your husbands': Women told to endure domestic violence in the name of God
    Research shows that the men most likely to abuse their wives are evangelical Christians who attend church sporadically. Church leaders in Australia say they abhor abuse of any kind. But advocates say the church is not just failing to sufficiently address domestic violence, it is both enabling and concealing it.

By Julia Baird with Hayley Gleeson
    Illustrations by Rocco Fazzari

The abuse went on, day and night, as Sally bore a child, worked morning shifts at the local hospital and stayed up late pumping breast milk for her baby.

She was deeply exhausted, depleted and worn.

The night before Sally finally left her husband and the townhouse they lived in on Sydney's northern beaches he told her she was also failing her spiritual duties.

"Your problem is you won't obey me. The Bible says you must obey me and you refuse," he yelled. "You are a failure as a wife, as a Christian, as a mother. You are an insubordinate piece of s**t."

Sally, an executive assistant who had just turned 44, stared at him, worrying about whether her neighbours — or her sleeping daughter — could hear his roars through the thin walls.

She knew what had "flicked his switch": the simple act of coming down to say goodnight, which he interpreted as a lack of willingness to have sex.

Peter then opened his Bible and read out some verses:

"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Saviour."
    Ephesians 5: 22-23

Next was:

"Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness I permit no woman to teach or have authority over a man; rather, she is to remain silent."
    1 Timothy 2: 11-12

For years, Sally had believed that God wanted her to submit to her husband, and she did her best, bending to his will and working to pay the bills, despite the pain she was in.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-18/domestic-violence-church-submit-to-husbands/8652028

it goes on for a lot longer than that but with the 10,000 character limit...... I do hope snoop is a regular church goer.....

3. Snoop

Snoop Coach

First sermon I ever preached was from Ephesians 5 actually, focusing on verses 25-32 and the requirement of husbands to figuratively and literally lay down their lives for their wives. I told the men in our church that as per verse 27 they should be doing all within their power to ensure that their wife is flourishing.

Smack likes this.
  4. gUt

gUt Coach

The Islamic version of 2SG's article above:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-24/confronting-domestic-violence-in-islam/8458116

Exposing the darkness within: Domestic violence and Islam

Most Muslims believe Islam abhors violence. So why do some say the Koran sanctions "lightly" beating your wife? An ABC News investigation into religion and domestic violence reveals the fight within Islam to stop the abuse of women and prevent imams from telling victims to stay and obey.

5. 2_Smoking_Guns

you wasted no time defending the evangelical christians with a but Islam..... albeit with an already well discussed issue.... I note that unlike the article I linked to yours is short on actual testimony.... other than a couple of "hijab clad" women from an organisation that the Indonesian president wants disbanded saying it's okay for a husband to punish a disobedient wife with a small stick or piece of cloth providing it doesn't cause pain.....

6. Smack

Smack Juniors

Beautiful

7. gUt

gUt Coach

lol are you talking to me?

8. Snoop

Snoop Coach

You are the great defender of Evangelical Christianity @gUt.

9. gUt

gUt Coach

Honestly can't work out what the objection is, unless it's along the same lines that prevented him from linking the Islamic article himself.

Psychos gonna psycho.

10. Snoop

Snoop Coach

I think 2SG posted his article, stood back, guns drawn and prepared for a fight. None came so he manufactured one.

millersnose and Smack like this.
  11. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

So this went to a but....but Islam....

Typical...

"
    Susan, a student and mother, went to a Pentecostal Church in Adelaide for most of the 23 years of her married life.

She describes her marriage as akin to a horror story. She was "repeatedly raped" by her husband and was continually unnerved by strange incidents that kept happening to her children in her absence.

Bruises appeared, faces were bloodied, weak excuses were given. One day her husband was rebuking his daughter for wearing a revealing top when "she ran and hit the wall" and lost a tooth.

On another day, he pushed Susan out of the car and left her on the side of the road.

[​IMG]

A psychologist attached to her church told her divorce was not an option. The pastor's wife told her to separate but not divorce as her husband could change.

It was not until she came across the website, Cry for Justice: Awakening the Evangelical Church to Domestic Violence and Abuse in its Midst, run by Roberts, that she realised it might be possible to divorce her husband.

When she left him, she left her congregation too.

"It was really, really hard to leave the church as I had been there 20 years," Susan told ABC News.

"Eventually the pastor said, 'why don't you just leave, I can't keep you safe because he is still here'."

Her ex followed her to her next church, and tracked down the pastor who told her — after meeting him for coffee once — that her ex was a great guy: "I can see why you married him!"

"Fortunately," she says, "the church I am at now is not very strong on headship, and has a modern attitude to divorce. They won't stand up on stage and say, like they did at the church I attended with my ex-husband, that women should submit and God doesn't want you to divorce."

In Susan's Pentecostal church, the Assemblies of God, only 4 per cent of pastors were female in 2013, and the national executive board was all male.

And, problematically, Pentecostal women are often taught that part of being female is yielding.
    "

12. gUt

gUt Coach

Take your complaints up with the abc Spock and 2sg. I found the link to the Islamic article in the Christian one.

13. gUt

gUt Coach

Like Spock he's incapable of discussing the actual issue without the petty vitriol. They need the name calling and conflict as a substitute for actual engagement, possibly because of deep insecurities about their professed positions.

14. 2_Smoking_Guns

I wouldn't have expected the likes of you to comprehend... Islam cops plenty of "petty vitriol" especially from you and the resident evangelist.... and some sections deservedly so... but christianity seems to only get called out for kiddie fiddlers..... I linked to an article that shows these fanatic christians to be almost identical to fanatic Muslims and all you do is take one small section of the link that mentions Islam and put it up as some sort of distraction.... you're pathetic.... I know you proclaim to despise all religion but when push comes to shove you show your soft spot for the good white folk...... hypocrite....

15. gUt

gUt Coach

A quick review of this very thread gives the lie to that.

The small excerpt I posted was just the first paragraph, hardly cherry picking.

What a specimen you are.

16. gUt

gUt Coach

Also thanks for proving me right so quickly and comprehensively.

17. Snoop

Snoop Coach

If you are after a response from a conservative Australian Christian feel free to read this:

https://australia.thegospelcoalition.org/article/a-letter-to-husbands-who-abuse-their-wives

18. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

Yeah, no kidding.....

Interesting that you're basically becoming a conservative christian apologist....

Lol....says the guy who posted sources from Right Wing Islamophobic sites....

19. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

Lol

Spock thinks the abc is a right wing islamaphobic organisation

Hahahahhaha

20. gUt

gUt Coach

I only do it because god tells me to