Ridiculing Religion 2 - The Ridiculining

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by gUt, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Collateral

Collateral Moderator Staff Member

Likewise; however I would not call myself a scientist.

He is getting hammered within the scientific sphere for pretending to know things that are clearly researched by other people and passed off for him to present as his own.

He is highly political as Snoop pointed out and just not a reliable source of information based on this fact alone.

Joe Rogan even destroys him for essentially presenting whatever he thinks will just score him better ratings as opposed to what is scientifically accurate.

2. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

I do agree somewhat he does drive an agenda on the show and it is light on real science, to be frank though the show itself isn't a hard science show, it is a topical show addressing issues (some of them social,) and the scientific relationship with the causes and remedies of those issues. I didn't really think much of that episode about sex and gender, but I quite like the GMO's, quackery and vaccinations episodes.

3. The Charlatan

I don't argue how he accrues or presents the information on his show. Even if he doesn't credit where he gets his information from, if it's correct, it's right. If it's not he will be taken to task on it.

He's in the TV field of popular science, they all do that plagiarise. Neil deGrasse Tyson is an astrophysicist, yet he comments heavily on biology in his reboot of Cosmos.

My point is that while an engineer is not a scientist, they do have a fundamental understanding scientific laws and the methods undertaken to achieve this. I would rather have a mechanical engineer hosting a show exploring scientific topics than a social studies graduate.

4. 2_Smoking_Guns

2_Smoking_Guns First Grade

It's god's plan mate... don't fight it...

Mr Spock! likes this.
  5. Collateral

I agree that Engineers have to have a fundamental understanding of all these topics; but the criticisms of Nye are that he bases his scientific views on what is politically popular, not necessarily what is scientifically accurate.

The Charlatan likes this.
  6. The Charlatan

I don't entirely disagree with that. I agree he is politically motivated.

7. Snoochies

Snoochies Bench

Mr Spock I'm still confused on your own faith. You have the same faith as another but where do you stand exactly. Sorry I didn't want to scour through hundreds of posts.
    From what I see you reject the Bible literally? What do you believe about God, what do you believe about Jesus, was he Gods son and do you believe he was resurrected?

Are you a Christian or just a theist or deist, agnostic or atheist?

Just wondering your world view and why in general.

Peace

Collateral likes this.
  8. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

I'm a bit over interrogations about orthodoxy.

It's really about to see if this guy's in my club or not.

Yes, I reject any literal reading of the Bible. I've done more than enough reading and study on the Books to know there were other motives and reasons for their writings other than relating history.

And that especially goes for the gospels.

As for labels gee I don't know Snoochies. How about a Christian agnostic.

And you know, that's OK.

Life and the world isn't black and white.

It's very grey - 50 shades of it.

gUt likes this.
  9. Snoochies

Snoochies Bench

Thank mate. Sorry for the interrorgation, your view is unique and not one I've come across as in you believe but don't believe kinda scenario.

If I may ask what is your view on Jesus based on the gospels? Is he the son of God or something else on your view, to you is he Lord?

I'll look more into the theology of those you mentioned earlier.

Peace :v:

10. gUt

gUt Coach

Scripture tells us: duh

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-13/worst-catholic-sexual-abuse-scandal-developing-world/8900616

Worst of Catholic sexual abuse scandal still to come in developing world: report

The worst of the Catholic sexual abuse scandal may be over in Australia, but the crisis is likely to hit the church in Asia, Africa and parts of Europe within a decade, a report has warned.

The RMIT study, Child Sexual Abuse in the Catholic Church, has for the first time compiled the findings of 26 royal commissions, police investigations, judicial probes, government inquiries, church studies, and academic research from around the world since 1985.

It warns the gravest potential for future abuse of children and teenagers lies in the estimated 9,600 orphanages the church still runs, including 2,600 in India and 1,600 in Italy.

"[Child sexual abuse] has peaked and there has been a decline since the late 70s and early 80s and that's because it's been brought into the public arena," the study's co-author, Professor Des Cahill, said.

"But I think in the developing countries and in some of the European countries, there hasn't been a precipitating event to raise the issue into the public arena and I'm thinking particularly of countries in Asia and Africa.
    "It may reassert itself, after this has all blown over, and come back in 30, 40 years' time … if the underlying issues are not addressed.

"I as yet have not seen any sign at the Vatican level, and even here in Australia, for the bishops to answer why did this happen and why did they — the bishops — react so poorly."

Examining reports from Australia, Ireland, the United States, Britain, Canada and the Netherlands, Professor Cahill and his co-author, theologian Peter Wilkinson, found that one in 15 priests, or about 7 per cent, allegedly abused children and teenagers between about 1950 and 2000.

They say even today children "are at risk in education and welfare institutions when they can be accessed by psychosexually immature and/or sexually deprived celibates, including priests and religious brothers".

However, Professor Cahill, who was an adviser to the Royal Commission into Institutional Child Sexual Abuse, believes the risks to children in Australian Catholic schools are now very low, mainly because of greater vigilance by parents, teachers and school authorities.

He says most Catholic school principals are married men and women, and are extremely conscious of the risks to children.

The decision of the Catholic Church in Australia, the US, Britain, New Zealand and Canada to phase out large orphanages and move children into foster care has also substantially reduced the risk of abuse.

But controversially the report warns that Australia's reliance on overseas trained clergy — up to 40 per cent in some diocese — could be risky, as overseas bishops may try to banish offending or suspect priests to foreign postings.

"Is the phenomenon of child sexual abuse by priests and religious [brothers] likely to reappear and increase in the short or long term?" the report asks.

"The answer is unclear … It might happen, despite even the most stringent checks that an offending priest or religious might be recycled to Australia. In the US, not a few overseas priests, especially from the Philippines and India, have been charged and convicted."

The shortage of local candidates for the priesthood in many Western countries has, in the past, also led bishops to ordain men despite warnings from the heads of seminaries and training colleges that they were unsuitable.

These included "psychosexually immature, psychosexually maldeveloped and sexually deprived and deeply frustrated male priests and religious, particularly those who had not satisfactorily resolved their own sexual identity".

Professor Cahill and Dr Wilkinson do not blame the abuse crisis entirely on celibacy, but their report notes the low levels of abuse in the eastern rite Catholic churches — particularly the Maronite, Ukrainian, Melkite and Chaldean churches — where priests are allowed to marry and become fathers.

Professor Cahill is himself a former Catholic priest who resigned to marry and start a 40-year academic career.

He rejects the claim, often made by church conservatives, that the liberal reforms of the Second Vatican Council in the early 1960s loosened the morals of priests.

"Much of the abuse happened before Vatican II, during the 1950s and into the 60s," he said.

"And the majority of offending priests were either ordained before Vatican II or well progressed in their studies. I think we need to be suspicious of those explanations."

Mr Spock! likes this.
  11. Collateral

Catholics really need to let their priests have a life to try and mitigate this horrendous behaviour.

Snoop likes this.
  12. Snoop

Snoop Coach

When Muhammad wanted more wives, or his adopted son's wife, or to flee to Medina, Allah would serendipitously give him permission. The Pope likewise just needs to go all ex cathedra on this issue and allow them to marry.

Mr Spock! likes this.
  13. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

You need to get out more....

14. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

luckily gay marriage will soon be legal here and the pope can give the priests his blessing.

Mr Spock! likes this.
  15. The Charlatan

Or just maybe they could stop f**king kids?

Pantherjim. and Mr Spock! like this.
  16. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

Its not their fault it's Satan, he's on one shoulder saying boy bottoms boy bottoms you know you like them , gods on the other saying if you do don't forget to confess to the other priests who aren't getting any arse.

17. Snoop

Snoop Coach

Yep, that would really help too.

Pantherjim. and Mr Spock! like this.
  18. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

Shamefully the excuse was it was the kids seducing the clergy.

Pantherjim. and Collateral like this.
  19. Collateral

And they would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those pesky kids!

Bandwagon, Pantherjim. and Mr Spock! like this.
  20. _Johnsy

_Johnsy Referee

I wonder what the good book spells out in relation to punishment for these types of abhorrent offences?