Ridiculing Religion 2 - The Ridiculining

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by gUt, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Collateral

Collateral Moderator Staff Member

Lol, you know Spock is beat when he starts cracking out the emojis to support his view. Very Mong esque.

2. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:p

3. _Johnsy

_Johnsy Referee

55 pages arguing over someone's imaginary friend. I LOL'd

4. Apey

Apey Moderator Staff Member

There is a lot of subtle God of the Gaps going on in this thread lately; even some God works in mysterious ways. People love to use God as an empty canvas that can be manipulated to argue anything they like. That is the problem with arguing from the supernatural; you can ascribe any nonsensical attributes or capabilities you like because by definition it doesn't have to satisfy any natural laws, reasoning or logic.

For example, when someone argues they have a problem with God or God's actions from a natural perspective it is hand-waved away from a supernatural position that God transcends everything natural and therefore doesn't have to abide by any concepts from the real world. I'm sure it makes sense to them but to the rest of us it is an utterly useless contribution. It's very easy to have God as the answer to everything when "the nature of God" can be anything you like it to be. I'm sure Snoop sees this a massive pro of his position; the God solution answers all the questions that otherwise can't currently be answered! You have a problem with God? It doesn't matter, because he is God, therefore whatever questionable thing he has said or done is not questionable at all because he is God and with that comes being always right and knowing better than us. God can do no wrong by definition.

Unfortunately, arguing from the supernatural is like having someone come along speaking in their own invented language while you're trying to have an argument about something in English. You can't really make an argument against them because it's their language and they can make up the rules for their language (->God's features) to adapt to any opposition. How can they ever be wrong about anything when on your canvas (supernatural) anything goes? We simply just do not understand them. They can answer every question in a way that makes complete sense... to them, and anyone else they've shared their language with I suppose. The problem is there's no good reason for any of us to believe his language is worth listening to.

All that being said, the argument to me always boils down to natural vs supernatural. If you believe that there is an element of supernatural in the world I don't see why you'd stop short at believing literally anything that can be explained as supernatural. After all, what logic does the supernatural require to abide by? If the theoretical event can happen with no natural explanation then why couldn't any?

This is where the fundamental disagreement is for me. I do not believe there is any element of supernatural in this world. If I did, then there would be no good reason to disbelieve any other supernatural event. If there are fairies and unicorns then anything can happen under the blanket explanation of supernatural.

AJB1102, gUt and Dragon_Taylor6 like this.
  5. _Johnsy

_Johnsy Referee

This always makes me laugh when people at court take the below oath.

"that the evidence I shall give will be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me god"

The truth based on a fictional text, asking a fictional person for help, you may as well be asking batman.

Surely likes this.
  6. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

This is amazing.

7. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

I'll say....which schools still hit kids?

8. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

Shhhhhh. Don't call it hitting.

They were very clear that they want you to call it "discipline".

Mr Spock! likes this.