What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Western Force- Pirates?

Morotti

Juniors
Lets not stomp on rugby while they are down. Putting what is happening to them at one side and even if it were not the case, the nrl needs to build towards a team in 2023 in Perth.

Is nib stadium good enough at this stage to host nrl matches? I would expect so given if they can get 15-20k numbers that would be up in a lot of Sydney clubs.

Arlc and nrl simply need a plan like Perth Red has said earlier.

For me they need to create kpi's around key metrics like junior numbers and development officers. Maybe get a schools competition going.
Then they need to commit to the wa government to play x number of nrl games between now and 2023.
We are taking origin there in 2019 is it? Auggest trying to go back in 2022 to create more buzz around a team in 2023.

Then you also need to sit down with wa government and get a commitment of funding from them for x y z initiatives.

It is not particularly difficult, it simply needs time and effort

taipan

Referee
Lets not stomp on rugby while they are down. Putting what is happening to them at one side and even if it were not the case, the nrl needs to build towards a team in 2023 in Perth.

Is nib stadium good enough at this stage to host nrl matches? I would expect so given if they can get 15-20k numbers that would be up in a lot of Sydney clubs.

Arlc and nrl simply need a plan like Perth Red has said earlier.

For me they need to create kpi's around key metrics like junior numbers and development officers. Maybe get a schools competition going.
Then they need to commit to the wa government to play x number of nrl games between now and 2023.
We are taking origin there in 2019 is it? Auggest trying to go back in 2022 to create more buzz around a team in 2023.

Then you also need to sit down with wa government and get a commitment of funding from them for x y z initiatives.

It is not particularly difficult, it simply needs time and effort

And money.

taipan

Referee
And will and vision

You can have all the will and vision in the world,but if you don't have the loot to underpin it ,you are going downhill fast.
Inventors have great ideas but need backers to get the product out there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ive never heard of anyone making money without those things, even lotto winners!
I’ve heard of plenty of people making money by having a vision and a will to succeed, and plenty lose it by having neither.

taipan

Referee
Ive never heard of anyone making money without those things, even lotto winners!
I’ve heard of plenty of people making money by having a vision and a will to succeed, and plenty lose it by having neither.

You still need backers or going into debt.
Refer Melbourne Storm.Without the financial backing of News Ltd yes foresight,the Storm would I doubt be still there today.
Ditto the backing of the Cowboys and Warriors who at various stages were in deep financial strife.
I repeat without money, you are pushing the proverbial logs up a hill.
Oh and the Toronto Wolfpack are in because of the financial backing involved.

I remember the ratio during those boring years of accountancy, that only 1 in 7 new businesses survived after a certain number of years.In sport ideally you'd want them all to survive.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL revenue increase from $180mill a year to an anticipated $500mill plus a year in 6 years.
Like I said, where there is a will there is a way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well we laughed at him but seems Twiggy is determined to have the Force live on!

Western Force return with new World Series Rugby invitational
West Australian billionaire Andrew Forrest has announced a series of seven invitational matches for axed Super Rugby club Western Force this year, grandly titled World Series Rugby.
The matches, to be played at Perth's nib Stadium, will pit a new-look Western Force team against Pacific nations Fiji, Tonga and Samoa plus Hong Kong and Super Rugby outfits the Melbourne Rebels and Crusaders between May and August.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/w...eries-rugby-invitational-20180306-h0x3jg.html

ReddFelon

Juniors
Well we laughed at him but seems Twiggy is determined to have the Force live on!

Western Force return with new World Series Rugby invitational
West Australian billionaire Andrew Forrest has announced a series of seven invitational matches for axed Super Rugby club Western Force this year, grandly titled World Series Rugby.
The matches, to be played at Perth's nib Stadium, will pit a new-look Western Force team against Pacific nations Fiji, Tonga and Samoa plus Hong Kong and Super Rugby outfits the Melbourne Rebels and Crusaders between May and August.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/w...eries-rugby-invitational-20180306-h0x3jg.html

Knew this was going to happen, I followed the saga and noticed that he started talks with Asian Rugby, Pacific Rugby and then World Rugby before he even opened discussions with the ARU. Basically got international approval so that the ARU had no choice, particularly when they're increasingly reliant on Pacific nations to supply players and Asian nations to pay for broadcast rights.

From what I've seen reported this year it's an invitational series, next year it becomes it's own league with each of the Island's getting a team bankrolled by Twiggy and Hong Kong and Japan out forth teams bankrolled by major companies (Japanese teams are already owned by Panasonic, Coca Cola, Toshiba, etc).

Credit where credit is due he's managed to grab a massive television and sponsorship market and a huge player talent pool.

Need old mate Rinehart to back a Reds/Pirates bid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Knew this was going to happen, I followed the saga and noticed that he started talks with Asian Rugby, Pacific Rugby and then World Rugby before he even opened discussions with the ARU. Basically got international approval so that the ARU had no choice, particularly when they're increasingly reliant on Pacific nations to supply players and Asian nations to pay for broadcast rights.

From what I've seen reported this year it's an invitational series, next year it becomes it's own league with each of the Island's getting a team bankrolled by Twiggy and Hong Kong and Japan out forth teams bankrolled by major companies (Japanese teams are already owned by Panasonic, Coca Cola, Toshiba, etc).

Credit where credit is due he's managed to grab a massive television and sponsorship market and a huge player talent pool.

Need old mate Rinehart to back a Reds/Pirates bid.

We've got two multi millionaires in the wings who actually care about league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You may be right, a lot will hinge on his ability to get a fta media deal I suspect. He has a lot of money and connections to throw at this and a 10-12 Comp with Japan, Singapore, Aus, PI and an ousted SA team isn’t beyond possibility.

Diesel

Referee
I’d say he’s biding his time for when the SR contract is up around 2019/20. SR will probably get dumped in favour of a trans-Tasman game and enter the Farce... Force

ReddFelon

Juniors
Are the people of Perth really going to attend a series of exhibition matches in great numbers?
When you look at the line up you'd be surprised; there's a f**kton of Fijians, Tongans and Samoans in WA who've likely never seen their national teams play, the Crusaders are NZs best union club, they haven't been in WA for 2+ years and the Kiwis go mental whenever they're here, Hong Kong might be a hard sell but again it has the attraction of being the first time they've ever been and the Melbourne Rebels are absolutely despised by WA Union fans after they raided their player stocks.

I can't guarantee anything beyond word of mouth, but here's a rundown of what I can find; the announcement video for the invitational series has 39,000 individual Facebook views, according to their media people are already buying up memberships, there's talk of Forrest heavily subsidising ticket costs to the point where season tickets for families are going to be cheaper than anything they'd previously offered.

Obviously there'll be a better understanding come May when they host Fiji, but having followed this since it started up last year it does seem to have galvanised union fans into supporting the club. I was always shocked at WA union clubs having huge participation rates and low support for the professional side.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I’d say he’s biding his time for when the SR contract is up around 2019/20. SR will probably get dumped in favour of a trans-Tasman game and enter the Farce... Force
Wouldn't it make more sense if the Trans Tasman Super Rugby teams just join the NRL as I bet the money be bigger in the NRL then the All Blacks in world Rugby.
New Zealand really should play League or go back to amateur Rugby as it's the AB's who make the money and the Super teams and NPC are losing money.

jim_57

Staff member
Who really cares what the Force/Twiggy/Rugby Union are doing?

Worst case scenario, this super huge mega comp gets off the ground and is a great success. Meanwhile West Coast Eagles, Fremantle, Perth Glory, Perth Scorchers and Force win all premierships for those sports for the next 10 years.. There should still be an NRL team in Perth.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Wouldn't it make more sense if the Trans Tasman Super Rugby teams just join the NRL as I bet the money be bigger in the NRL then the All Blacks in world Rugby.
New Zealand really should play League or go back to amateur Rugby as it's the AB's who make the money and the Super teams and NPC are losing money.

Lel, the poorest player on the All Blacks is pulling about $500,000 a year plus all their third party endorsement deals from nearly every business in NZ. I'm sure the NZRU are just jumping at the idea of turning their five professional development teams (quite literally they use the Super teams like a farm which is why they dominate the international game) into League teams to the detriment of their sport.

This is on par with suggesting Parramatta, Penrith and Wests merge with GWS.

Haffa

Lel, the poorest player on the All Blacks is pulling about $500,000 a year plus all their third party endorsement deals from nearly every business in NZ. I'm sure the NZRU are just jumping at the idea of turning their five professional development teams (quite literally they use the Super teams like a farm which is why they dominate the international game) into League teams to the detriment of their sport.

This is on par with suggesting Parramatta, Penrith and Wests merge with GWS.
I'd like to introduce you to Teddy. This will be the last time you take him seriously.