What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Western Force- Pirates?

supercharger

Juniors
I see fortescue are also announced as sponsors of of the waru competition for next 3 years. Twiggy has bought Union in the West and will throw everything at it by looks of it.

Yep, more marketing for the forces rebirth this week than for any nrl event here ever. But nobody could ever accuse the nrl of being marketing geniuses!
I haven't seen it but I'm not looking for it. You say the NRL hasn't marketed itself well in Perth but that's simply not true. 38k to the double header, record breaking attendances at nib, when was the last time Union matched our attendance in this city? The force have a massive built in market with the f**king yappies, kiwis and poms but averaged like 10k
Let twiggy spent his cash it's not going to take away rugby league's potential market share

Stallion

First Grade
Come back when I start jabbering on about how people’s opinions are wrong and about global conspiracy theories.

Ever thought of global reality theory? Or do you choose to maintain a blind eye to this genuine repression of a sporting code?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I haven't seen it but I'm not looking for it. You say the NRL hasn't marketed itself well in Perth but that's simply not true. 38k to the double header, record breaking attendances at nib, when was the last time Union matched our attendance in this city? The force have a massive built in market with the f**king yappies, kiwis and poms but averaged like 10k
Let twiggy spent his cash it's not going to take away rugby league's potential market share

It’s been all over the west this week including paid for wrap front page advertising cover mid week and a front page advert in yesterdays paper. Nrl double header didn’t run an ad in the Saturday before west which I found very surprising.

As for Force crowds, they started with 20k members and 25k crowds at subi. Year after year of dire performances saw it drop away and for some reason the move to nib saw lower crowds than at subi which was a bit strange.

Stallion

First Grade
It’s been all over the west this week including paid for wrap front page advertising cover mid week and a front page advert in yesterdays paper. Nrl double header didn’t run an ad in the Saturday before west which I found very surprising.

As for Force crowds, they started with 20k members and 25k crowds at subi. Year after year of dire performances saw it drop away and for some reason the move to nib saw lower crowds than at subi which was a bit strange.

Think the WA sporting public worked out the product was not up to scratch!

supercharger

Juniors
Think the WA sporting public worked out the product was not up to scratch!
No, the team sucked ass and people like a winner. Glory crowds have died in the arse since they turned to shit. Sporting taste are still shit in this city. Hell the Victorian shit is the most popular, don't go thinking perth has suddenly developed taste in terms of sports

Stallion

First Grade
No, the team sucked ass and people like a winner. Glory crowds have died in the arse since they turned to shit. Sporting taste are still shit in this city. Hell the Victorian shit is the most popular, don't go thinking perth has suddenly developed taste in terms of sports

Interesting. I tend to think the product has a bit to do with it. From what I'm seeing the junior RL development is improving in WA. That doesn't happen if the sport is not regarded as attractive?

ReddFelon

Juniors
year after year of dire performances saw it drop away and for some reason the move to nib saw lower crowds than at subi which was a bit strange.

Iirc they had firepower as a major sponsor and when firepower got exposed as a massive scam (bankrupted Sydney Kings basketball, failed Rabbitohs sponsorship, etc.) they couldn't pay their players. Likely impacted crowds when you're fielding local club players instead of stars.

RoosTah

Juniors
I see fortescue are also announced as sponsors of of the waru competition for next 3 years. Twiggy has bought Union in the West and will throw everything at it by looks of it.

Yep, more marketing for the forces rebirth this week than for any nrl event here ever. But nobody could ever accuse the nrl of being marketing geniuses!
I get you’re pissed of at what seems like less visibility of the NRL whilst Twiggy is making all this noise, but as someone who follows union as well as League, I can tell you now this new competition of Twiggys is the very definition of pissing into the wind.

It’s a nice gesture for Force fans, but at the end of the day, this competition will have vastly less credibility than even the Murdoch break away Super League did during the 90s. Just think about it, who really wants to watch a comp that doesn’t involve the not only the Kiwis but the traditional Australian rugby powers the west love to hate. Seriously, just look at what they’re promising:
First up are outings against Fiji (May 4) and Tonga (May 13) before a highly anticipated game against the Melbourne Rebels on the same day the Wallabies play Ireland in the first Test of 2018 in Brisbane.
They won’t be playing any other Australian sides of consequence, or even be playing for anything of consequence. The actual rugby fan base in WA know this and whilst spite at RA and anger of the axing of the force might sustain some interest at least initially, the business model itself is hollow and will collapse in on itself in no time.

If I were the NRL I’d be very comfortable with all of this, quite content to be taking actual high quality competition matches, tests and laying the ground work for a fully fledged Perth NRL team to launch by the next TV deal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I get you’re pissed of at what seems like less visibility of the NRL whilst Twiggy is making all this noise, but as someone who follows union as well as League, I can tell you now this new competition of Twiggys is the very definition of pissing into the wind.

It’s a nice gesture for Force fans, but at the end of the day, this competition will have vastly less credibility than even the Murdoch break away Super League did during the 90s. Just think about it, who really wants to watch a comp that doesn’t involve the not only the Kiwis but the traditional Australian rugby powers the west love to hate. Seriously, just look at what they’re promising:

They won’t be playing any other Australian sides of consequence, or even be playing for anything of consequence. The actual rugby fan base in WA know this and whilst spite at RA and anger of the axing of the force might sustain some interest at least initially, the business model itself is hollow and will collapse in on itself in no time.

If I were the NRL I’d be very comfortable with all of this, quite content to be taking actual high quality competition matches, tests and laying the ground work for a fully fledged Perth NRL team to launch by the next TV deal.

Not convinced the super14 will survive beyond this tv deal. I could see the Australian and a couple of nz clubs joining this league in years to come if he manages to sustain it. The nz and east coast clubs hate travelling to SA and Argentina. A Comp of PI and Aus nz would be much more appealing.

First game is week on Friday v Fiji. Pricing is interesting $10 behind sticks is dirt cheap but east stand is $54! Given lack of stewards at nib and likely crowd I suspect alot of $10 ticket holders will be making their way to the east stand lol

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Not convinced the super14 will survive beyond this tv deal. I could see the Australian and a couple of nz clubs joining this league in years to come if he manages to sustain it.

First game is week on Friday v Fiji. Pricing is interesting $10 behind sticks is dirt cheap but east stand is $54! Given lack of stewards at nib and likely crowd I suspect alot of $10 ticket holders will be making their way to the east stand lol

Lol!

supercharger

Juniors
Not convinced the super14 will survive beyond this tv deal. I could see the Australian and a couple of nz clubs joining this league in years to come if he manages to sustain it. The nz and east coast clubs hate travelling to SA and Argentina. A Comp of PI and Aus nz would be much more appealing.

How is it a league? It's an invitational if anything. Just a bunch of teams playing a defunct club.

ReddFelon

Juniors
How is it a league? It's an invitational if anything. Just a bunch of teams playing a defunct club.

Gotta keep up on the press releases. It's an invitational this year because they needed to fill commitments to the stadium, as of next year they've got full approval for a full fledged competition. General theory is that like PR said this a move to ensure that come their next broadcast deal they can cut out the Saffas and Argies in favour of a single comp across a limited time zone.

Also worth recognising Forrest's ridiculous business connections, dude roped in the RAC so that season tickets are getting 30% discounts if you have an RAC membership.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Riiiight. It won't last, at least they were original with the name:rolling_eyes:

I hope not, if the game crumbles here, and if the nrl ever get their sht together, the amount of jnrs switching to league will be significant. With twiggy though you never know. Very deep pockets and friends in high places. And as I say depends on what happens with super14 and if it falls over in couple of years time.

RoosTah

Juniors

Mate, if you can honestly see that then you simply don't understand the politics and driving forces in Rugby. There are 3 key reasons that what you imagine as possible is in reality about as likely as Adelaide becoming a Rugby League power house in the next couple years:

1. The ARU (Now RA) were desperately trying to get the NZRU to join them in a revamped Pacific focused Super comp that was minus SA. NZ told the ARU they were dreaming because they see competition with the SA teams as critical for their development.

2. The SARU provide Super Rugby with games in the European time slot, meaning that they're responsible for the lion's share of Super Rugby's TV deal funding - fun fact: the last deal was a huge improvement for Super Rugby overall, but money from Aussie broadcasters stayed stagnant, all the increase was from Europe and SA.

3. Super Rugby ratings have actually been recovering this year since the rationalisation of the structure and return to a neater 3 conference structure focused on the tradition partners. There's been speculation that the money given to CA in Aus will depress demand for the comp here, but that's not happening in SA and Europe, who are expected to pay more again.

In short, if you think the Kiwis and foundational Aussie teams are suddenly going to dump Super Rugby for this Mickey Mouse BS comp of Twigg's that involves one Aussie team, a couple PI countries, and potentially the powerhouse rugby heartlands of Singapore and Hong Kong, then your reading of what drives the business people that makes these decisions is very different to mine.

ReddFelon

Juniors
I hope not, if the game crumbles here, and if the nrl ever get their sht together, the amount of jnrs switching to league will be significant. With twiggy though you never know. Very deep pockets and friends in high places. And as I say depends on what happens with super14 and if it falls over in couple of years time.

Problem with luring juniors is that so many of the old WARL clubs aren't just gone they've practically been erased from the history books.

Bring back the Armadale Warriors!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Problem with luring juniors is that so many of the old WARL clubs aren't just gone they've practically been erased from the history books.

Bring back the Armadale Warriors!

Not really, with the return of the jets there arent too many old clubs gone and new clubs have come in. We’ve probably got as many jnr clubs now as at any time and wider geographical spread than ever. The growth in jnr. Clubs in SW is impressive.