What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Western Force- Pirates?

t-ba

Post Whore
When we chopped the Reds it was hands down one of the worst decisions ever but at least there was some kind of excuse. It kind of amazes me they allowed the geniused and unsustainable expansion of the code in the first place and then didn't fight tooth and nail to keep their franchises. The Saffer ones are going off to greener pastures and will soon be followed by the rest so they will have created all this ill will out West for a few years of a TV deal before this whole house of cards comes tumbling down.

This is just hilariously stupid from the ARU. They've got an actual nursery going on over there whilst the last Onion player of any note from Victoria was probably Weary Dunlop.

T to the T

Juniors
I wouldn't follow RU if my team got cut.. I don't think it's a lay down missaire in this scenario either.
Well my RU team in Wales got cut and now I follow RL.

I'm sure the same is for many North Sydney Bears fans who couldn't bring themselves to follow RL anymore after their team got shafted.

Hell have no fury like a scorned lover

JamesRustle

First Grade
If the NRL has plans to expand to Perth within the next 5 years, I would commence fast tracking for 2019 or 20 season. Within 2-3 months I'd have a broad based implementation plan finished and get a quality media communication out to start the grass roots support and excitement.

If they're not set on expansion or cracking back into Perth then carry on.

At a minimum they need to increase the number of NRL fixtures played in Perth, preferably one team playing 3-4 games.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Well my RU team in Wales got cut and now I follow RL.

I'm sure the same is for many North Sydney Bears fans who couldn't bring themselves to follow RL anymore after their team got shafted.

Hell have no fury like a scorned lover
So at this point you can confirm 1 conversion from ru to rl. Compelling.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Listened to sports talkback on way home that was dominated with this news. Few things:

Premier was on saying the WA Govt had invested $135mill in union in last ten years and is fuming that they have disregarded this. He said he found out the news from media not the ARU. He is demanding a review of the funding agreements to see if there was a committment given by ARU. Union has really burnt its bridges here!

Number of fans rang in saying they would never support union again and would pull their kids out of Jnr union teams

Twiggy Forest has instigated a review to see if they can get an injunction in place and is vowing to drag union through the Supreme Court.

Feeling is it is typical east coast centric decision, western reds were mentioned a number of times as a previous example of this.

As for nrl, game is run by short sighted tw@ts and there is no hope they will make hay while the sun shines.

Last Week

Bench
Now that the Knights have been sold, why not?

If part of this new CBA with the clubs is no more handouts, this is something that they can take on.

Brisbane 2 is will go ahead one day and will be successful financially, which is all that matters.

Perth is a risk but it's an investment. What investment isn't a risk?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Now that the Knights have been sold, why not?

If part of this new CBA with the clubs is no more handouts, this is something that they can take on.

Brisbane 2 is will go ahead one day and will be successful financially, which is all that matters.

Perth is a risk but it's an investment. What investment isn't a risk?

TBH, and I know this is going to sound strange from me lol, but I think more work is needed here to make it a success. Four years ago I'd say we were ready but the momentum has gone after years of false dawns. I'd love to see the nrl come out with a 4 year plan, next 3 years massive investment in jnrs and a nsw cup team and big announcement for pirates to be admitted in 2020 and Brisbane 2 in 2021 so we had nine games to sell in next tv deal. Abd increase nrl games in Perth to 4 games in 2018 and 19. But don't hold your breath!

axl rose

Bench
Correct decision, with Melbourne to follow once the private owner gets sick of losing money. Novelty for a year or two nothing more.

2nd team in Brisbane should be a priority for NRL before sinking 50 million they dont have into WA.

Last Week

Bench
TBH, and I know this is going to sound strange from me lol, but I think more work is needed here to make it a success. Four years ago I'd say we were ready but the momentum has gone after years of false dawns. I'd love to see the nrl come out with a 4 year plan, next 3 years massive investment in jnrs and a nsw cup team and big announcement for pirates to be admitted in 2020 and Brisbane 2 in 2021 so we had nine games to sell in next tv deal. Abd increase nrl games in Perth to 4 games in 2018 and 19. But don't hold your breath!

Momentum is a bad reason for this push IMO. It's a good feel wave to ride on, but it's not something that will ever last.

That's ground work. There can never be too much ground work, so there will always be work to be done.

The priority for this sport, all sport, is getting people playing and enjoying it. There must be juniors. The Pirates, Storm, Broncos, Panthers, etc etc, should exist to provide a pathway for the kids they represent to the top. Not for the benefit of other clubs or the NRL to make more money off of a TV deal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If Twiggy Forrest is serious I'd be on the phone to him and force CEO about applying for a nrl license for the force. If forest put up a big enough guarantee there would be no risk to nrl,and it would be a massive punch in the throat to union if force moved over to the nrl. They could well Bring a number of j r union clubs over to league.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The time isn't right...this is not just about dots on the map...we'd like to see a team in NSW Cup first...we'd like to get all clubs financially stable...maybe after the next TV deal...there just isn't the player base...I'd hate to see the standard of competition lowered...etc etc

Last Week

Bench
The time isn't right...this is not just about dots on the map...we'd like to see a team in NSW Cup first...we'd like to get all clubs financially stable...maybe after the next TV deal...there just isn't the player base...I'd hate to see the standard of competition lowered...etc etc

Here you go Greenberg.

Pommy

Coach
This has been an open secret for months now.
The NRL should have had a mission statement primed to release 5 minutes after the ARU released there's.

Latest posts