What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Western Force- Pirates?

Lucev23

Juniors
About what? Perth, gold coast, aids, pro sport or this site?
Comparing Perth to the Gold Coast in terms of failed sporting team ventures. Sure there's the Reds and the Force but they're hardly clear cut examples of complete failures, especially in comparison to what has continually happened on the GC.

Both AFL sides print money and to be honestly could even successfuly accommodate a third side. The NBL side leads the way in how they're run and the cricket and soccer teams are hardly doom and gloom, just as a couple of examples but we can dissect all sports if you really wish?

I'm sorry but your comment was stupid. Bring on a WA NRL side, I can certainly see it succeeding providing it is done right.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Maybe Twiggy should contact the NRL about putting some money into a new Perth team so he can stick it up the ARU?

Perth Red

Post Whore
WA Govt response

PREMIER Mark McGowan has exacted swift revenge on the Australian Rugby Union for its decision to axe the Western Force by scrapping a deal to bring forward a $4 million payment to stage the Bledisloe Cup at Perth Stadium.
While the blockbuster match between the Wallabies and All Blacks will still go-ahead in Perth in 2019, the WA Government is no longer willing to agree to the cash-strapped ARU’s request to make early payments.
Mr McGowan also revealed the Government was re-visiting commitments made to WA several years ago by the ARU when the State agreed to pour millions into rugby in WA, including a $95 million upgrade to nib Stadium.
“Over the years the State had invested a significant amount of money towards the Force,” Mr McGowan said.
“What we’ll do is get to the bottom of any undertakings the ARU gave the State Government that underpinned the decisions to pour millions of dollars of taxpayers’ money into rugby.”
Apart from a $95 million upgrade to nib Stadium, that investment included $17 million into the Western Force headquarters and $25 million towards the Super Rugby licence.

Deputy Premier Roger Cook, who is a foundation member of the Western Force, said he would “boycott” rugby.
“I’ll never go to another Wallabies game for the rest of my life as a result of this decision. I’ve decided I’m going back to rugby league now in WA because the NRL is clearly supporting WA much more than the ARU is,” he said.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...u/news-story/16a9799fb57788f1126109634b06becf

Perth Tiger

Bench
Not that you would expected to be publicised but surely someone senior in the NRL has at least scheduled a meeting with the govt

RoosTah

Juniors
WA Govt response

PREMIER Mark McGowan has exacted swift revenge on the Australian Rugby Union for its decision to axe the Western Force by scrapping a deal to bring forward a $4 million payment to stage the Bledisloe Cup at Perth Stadium.
While the blockbuster match between the Wallabies and All Blacks will still go-ahead in Perth in 2019, the WA Government is no longer willing to agree to the cash-strapped ARU’s request to make early payments.
Mr McGowan also revealed the Government was re-visiting commitments made to WA several years ago by the ARU when the State agreed to pour millions into rugby in WA, including a $95 million upgrade to nib Stadium.
“Over the years the State had invested a significant amount of money towards the Force,” Mr McGowan said.
“What we’ll do is get to the bottom of any undertakings the ARU gave the State Government that underpinned the decisions to pour millions of dollars of taxpayers’ money into rugby.”
Apart from a $95 million upgrade to nib Stadium, that investment included $17 million into the Western Force headquarters and $25 million towards the Super Rugby licence.

Deputy Premier Roger Cook, who is a foundation member of the Western Force, said he would “boycott” rugby.
“I’ll never go to another Wallabies game for the rest of my life as a result of this decision. I’ve decided I’m going back to rugby league now in WA because the NRL is clearly supporting WA much more than the ARU is,” he said.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...u/news-story/16a9799fb57788f1126109634b06becf

Wow! That's a huge statement from a government representative. The NRL will surely be weighing up its options

Last Week

Bench
Greenberg will just use this as a reason not to have a WA team. 'The Western Force failed so it's clearly not the right time for Rugby League to go there.'

BuffaloRules

Coach
It's not just Greenberg...

What about Grant?

He has been ignoring expansion a lot longer then Todd has...

Does anyone else on the Commission give a hoot about expansion?

RoosTah

Juniors
It's not just Greenberg...

What about Grant?

He has been ignoring expansion a lot longer then Todd has...

Does anyone else on the Commission give a hoot about expansion?
You've got the WA gov saying they're going to look for different uses for the $90 mill plus funding they'd earnmarked for union... seems like you'd be mad not to be talking to them

BuffaloRules

Coach
You've got the WA gov saying they're going to look for different uses for the $90 mill plus funding they'd earnmarked for union... seems like you'd be mad not to be talking to them

Hasn't the money already been spent on upgrading the stadium?

I'm assuming the Glory benefitted as well though...

If the $17m spent on the Force Headquarters can just be handed over to a new NRL team than this would be a good starting point in the establishment of the Pirates...

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hasn't the money already been spent on upgrading the stadium?

I'm assuming the Glory benefitted as well though...

If the $17m spent on the Force Headquarters can just be handed over to a new NRL team than this would be a good starting point in the establishment of the Pirates...

Sadly it is owned by waru not state govt. it's a Cracking hq though! Be nice if nrlwa got something similar of we ever get an nrl team to justify it.

Latest posts