What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Western Force- Pirates?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'm not sure but I think they are owned by "RugbyWA".
Even if the ARU own the "Force" brand, it seems as though the club itself is a private organisation.
You're right: it would be a deciding kick in the nuts for the ARU - you'll have to pardon me for not having a whit of sympathy for them after enduring the chauvinism of the likes of John O'Neill, Peter Fitzsimons, Mike Carlton, et al for the previous two decades.

I'm with you there. I have zero sympathy for Union as they go through their toughest period ever in this country. May the recession continue until they can only afford one team and the entire Wallabies squad are playing for the Waratahs in front of 5K at North Sydney Oval.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

axl rose

Bench
I'm with you there. I have zero sympathy for Union as they go through their toughest period ever in this country. May the recession continue until they can only afford one team and the entire Wallabies squad are playing for the Waratahs in front of 5K at North Sydney Oval.

They should have marketed themselves as a genuine alternate for league fans. Instead the likes of John Oneil said they were going to target Rugby League in the schools till its never played (you cant make this shit up) and bought a bunch of overrated league wingers as their 'investment' in the future with the windfall from the 2003 World Cup.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They should have marketed themselves as a genuine alternate for league fans. Instead the likes of John Oneil said they were going to target Rugby League in the schools till its never played (you cant make this shit up) and bought a bunch of overrated league wingers as their 'investment' in the future with the windfall from the 2003 World Cup.

yes, I remember how arrogant O'Neil was around 2003 - I remember him asserting that Union would wipe rugby league out in Australia in 5 years or something rediculous like that.

axl rose

Bench
yes, I remember how arrogant O'Neil was around 2003 - I remember him asserting that Union would wipe rugby league out in Australia in 5 years or something rediculous like that.

FitzSimons thinks a game between some Saffa racists and some useless Australian franchise played at 2am in the morning is amazing, the future, and a million people will watch it on TV. Now in fairness i have met plenty of delusional NRL fans, but nothing compared to him.

Billythekid

First Grade
I've given up hope of the NRL doing anything proactive anymore. I still love the game but it's painful watching how it is run (and has been for decades). The game should be growing and flourishing but even when oppurtunities like this are dropped in our laps we either are slow to act or don't do anything at all.

That's why the AFL is now the biggest sport in this country. We have a much better product but the game is run by people who are totally incompetent.

Reactions: Vee

King hit

Coach
I've given up hope of the NRL doing anything proactive anymore. I still love the game but it's painful watching how it is run (and has been for decades). The game should be growing and flourishing but even when oppurtunities like this are dropped in our laps we either are slow to act or don't do anything at all.

That's why the AFL is now the biggest sport in this country. We have a much better product but the game is run by people who are totally incompetent.

Cricket is the biggest sport in this country, it's the national game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unless things turn around pretty quickly at some point in the next few years we could be way beyond recovering ground on afl. On 360 last night they were talking about combating afl, but only in our own backyard, let alone going on the front foot to challenge them in their heartlands, we seem light years away from having a commission and NRL management who are capable of that. We used to think it was about money but clearly it is a much deeper problem than that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cricket is the biggest sport in this country, it's the national game.

really? Base don what? Netball has more people playing it and is equally played in great numbers nationally, as does soccer.

Make no mistake though, AFL has its strategy and is increasingly planting the seeds in th epublics psychology

Australia%27s_Game.png

King hit

Coach
really? Base don what? Netball has more people playing it and is equally played in great numbers nationally, as does soccer.

Make no mistake though, AFL has its strategy and is increasingly planting the seeds in th epublics psychology

Australia%27s_Game.png

Every single Australian state produces great cricketers at international and domestic level (with the exception of the NT, can't think of one from the top of my head. The national team can play in any Australian town and city and they would draw a large crowd. David Warner could walk through any place in Australia and people would know who he is. The BBL and domestic season is played in all 4 corners of our country and attracts huge ratings everywhere. Cricket also has well over a million registered players in Australia making it the most played sport and 93% of Australians watch it in some way or another.

AFL is barely popular here in Brisbane, I barely know anyone here who watches it or knows anything about it, same goes for Sydney to. There might be more states that has AFL as the main winter sport but there is barely anyone living in those states besides from Victoria. More than half of Australians live in QLD and NSW.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Every single Australian state produces great cricketers at international and domestic level (with the exception of the NT, can't think of one from the top of my head. The national team can play in any Australian town and city and they would draw a large crowd. David Warner could walk through any place in Australia and people would know who he is. The BBL and domestic season is played in all 4 corners of our country and attracts huge ratings everywhere. Cricket also has well over a million registered players in Australia making it the most played sport and 93% of Australians watch it in some way or another.

AFL is barely popular here in Brisbane, I barely know anyone here who watches it or knows anything about it, same goes for Sydney to. There might be more states that has AFL as the main winter sport but there is barely anyone living in those states besides from Victoria. More than half of Australians live in QLD and NSW.

Soccer is the most played sport with 1.18million players. But these figures for all sport participation are so rubbery I wouldn't hold much stock in any of them.

but that is by the by, AFL is clearly positioning itself and has been for 20 plus years with its national strategy. The SL war set RL back 20 years and unless we get back on the front foot another 5 years of twiddling our thumbs whilst AFL continues to invest significantly in this strategy may make the gap too wide to ever close again.

King hit

Coach
Soccer is the most played sport with 1.18million players. But these figures for all sport participation are so rubbery I wouldn't hold much stock in any of them.

but that is by the by, AFL is clearly positioning itself and has been for 20 plus years with its national strategy. The SL war set RL back 20 years and unless we get back on the front foot another 5 years of twiddling our thumbs whilst AFL continues to invest significantly in this strategy may make the gap too wide to ever close again.

The AFL jumped on the chance they got when Rugby League was in turmoil and credit to them. We've got a big chance to push Rugby League into Western Australia without the Force and hopefully we can get something out of it. Rugby League will always be second to AFL though in Western Australia like how the Swans, Giants, Suns and Lions are in here in QLD and NSW. They barely get mentioned by the CM, news broadcasts etc and I would imagine it's the vica versa in Victoria with the Storm. But having a RL presence is good and it gives people more variety and ex pats something to enjoy.

Just on the SL war, I can't help but feel disappointing at the damage it did expansion wise. I can't help but wonder what would've been for the Reds if SL didn't come and destroy it and they keep talking about a second club in Brisbane and we had that in 1995 but the SL off course came along and I imagine everyone in Brisbane took the Broncos side and thumbed their noses at the Crushers.

flippikat

Bench

But that hasn't stopped the AFL putting top-level teams in Brisbane AND the Gold Coast.. and even merging an old Melbourne club with Brisbane.

Why? Because they're playing the long game - regardless of any short term pain & losses.

They're focused on growing the game - more sponsors, more juniors, more TV viewers (and hence more TV rights money).. and have realised they need to look beyond Victoria to do that - and beyond SA & WA as well.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
But VFL is a shyte game....the rest of the world know.

Kickby is shyte too.

Soccer is a game loved, whilst not a fan, I appreciate the skill.

Poor old WA, to many Victorians moved there.

Perth will have a team, they will.

Perth Red

Post Whore
McDonalds is sht food but you couldn't say it isn't popular! Betamax was better than VHS, the world is full of examples of inferior products with better management outdoing higher quality alternatives.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Western Farce supporters demonstration planned for tomorrow, be interesting to see how many turn up.

Latest posts