What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Risk & Reward By Coaches

Old Timer

Coach
Coaching is a difficult task and there is always the element of risk &reward.
Some coaches embrace it and things turn out profoundly better for their team.
Some examples
Penrith
Nathan Cleary picked in 1st's at (18)
Moving Wallace to hooker
Edwards (21) to FB and pushing Moylan to 5/8
Zelezniak (21) to wing
Easts
Mitchell (20) & Manu (21) in the centres NB Mitchell persevered with despite a bit of mixed form.
Connor Watson (21) spine player from the bench
Storm
Last weeks game
2 x 19 year olds in the run on side and 1 x 20 year old bench player in a key position.
Munster's ability means he gets a run on position every week but his versatility will dictate the actual position
Parramatta
Gutherson's ability means he gets a run on position every week but his versatility will dictate the actual position.

And so the list goes on and no doubt some can add to it.

No doubt a few things that have been tried have not worked and the jury is still out on a few as well but the aim here is to show how dynamic some coaches are in what they do to effect change in their teams performances.

This year Mary brought the power game to the fore and for a while it made a difference but appears to be now waining and we have potentially some injury issues as a result of that.
Other than that what dynamic change in tactics or the roster has Mary brought to the table (yes we all know De Belin to half thank you in advance) that has benefitted the ongoing performance?

hazzbeen

Bench
Some examples
Penrith
Moving Wallace to hooker
Zelezniak (21) to wing
Easts
Mitchell (20) & Manu (21) in the centres NB Mitchell persevered with despite a bit of mixed form.
Storm
Last weeks game
2 x 19 year olds in the run on side and 1 x 20 year old bench player in a key position.
Munster's ability means he gets a run on position every week but his versatility will dictate the actual position
Parramatta
Gutherson's ability means he gets a run on position every week but his versatility will dictate the actual position.

No doubt a few things that have been tried have not worked and the jury is still out on a few as well but the aim here is to show how dynamic some coaches are in what they do to effect change in their teams performances.

This year Mary brought the power game to the fore and for a while it made a difference but appears to be now waining and we have potentially some injury issues as a result of that.
Other than that what dynamic change in tactics or the roster has Mary brought to the table (yes we all know De Belin to half thank you in advance) that has benefitted the ongoing performance?
Sorry I got nothing , I can not think of anything he has done tactically or made a positional change for for the last couple of years that stays in my mind .......No risk here ....

Overseas dragon

Juniors
So much reward is available as the dragons have some of the best 20 year old in the NRL. But currently not much risk being taken. Mr woolpack a prime example there are probably 3or 4 far better option also the wingers and centres and fullback dugan to centre DUFTY, MARSTERS, FIELD with some exposure also.

ALSGI

Bench
OT
Roster changes.
Plenty of roster changes albeit predictable and conservative and dumb.
Tactics.
See above.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I could write a book based on sarcasm, but I'll refrain, don't want to hijack the thread OT.:D

But along with his forward dominated game plan he adopted at the start of the season, he also had the team playing much much shallower and way more direct in attack than in previous years. I believe this change was more the reason we excelled early on in the season (certainly where our points came from) than what the power game provided us. I don't give him credit often, but this tactical change had a huge impact on our attack early on.

Arguably the 2 go hand in hand, but we have been playing so far before the defensive line over the last couple of weeks, that the opposition now have a heap of time to read our play, slide and shut us down and therefore we are no longer a threat with the ball in hand (i believe this is why our points have dried up). This is probably more-so coaching 101 than any great tactical genius, but at least he implemented it and it worked. Just wish he would get it back on track again.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Jake Marketo to starting hooker was a master stroke that paid off last year.

Will Matthews playing right centre.

The ability to play Havili long minutes on the bench (full 80 in some games).

Luke Paige first grade debut.

Sorry Old Timer, couldn't help myself.

No problems I understand.
It would also be helpful if people added to the list of other clubs positive outcomes over the last 2 - 3 years.
Lots of similar discussions in other threads but I believe if people are really honest it will show our glaring deficiencies and hopefully that might help.
Great chance for the pro Mary crowd to score a few decisive blows but I suspect Angelo Dundee wrote Round 1 inside our gloves.

slippery5

Juniors
Jake Marketo to starting hooker was a master stroke that paid off last year.

Will Matthews playing right centre.

The ability to play Havili long minutes on the bench (full 80 in some games).

Luke Paige first grade debut.

Sorry Old Timer, couldn't help myself.[/QUOT

Some examples
Penrith
Moving Wallace to hooker
Zelezniak (21) to wing
Easts
Storm
Last weeks game
Parramatta

His 3 player bench rotation is revelutionary.

Objective View

Walpole

Juniors
What about Nick Cotric. He's only 18, has played every game for Canberra this year and has 8 tries to his name. He was named at centre in the NYC team of the year in 2016, which is his normal position, but Canberra have had the sense to blood him on the wing.

Other players from that NYC team of the year who have at least tasted first grade include Kalyn Ponga and Gela-Mosby at the Cowboys; Joseph Manu at the Roosters and Jayden Brailey at the Sharks, both who've also played every game this year and Dylan Edwards at the Panthers, who was listed on the bench for that team. Admittedly, Luciano Leilua was also in that team but it seems as though he's gone backwards.

Another player listed on that teams bench was Matt Dufty so it's fair to say he was at least considered worthy of the same company as some of the best young talent in the game. Just not good enough for a run in the NRL's slowest team...

Old Timer

Coach
Walpole
Evidently we have to beef Dufty up, so we can slow him down and then he might get a look in because you can't have 1 bloke making long breaks on his own if nobody can catch up to him if he needs to pass it.

Walpole

Juniors
The interesting comparison for Dufty is with Bevan French. Their birthdays are 6 days apart, French is listed at 181cm, 83 kg - Dufty at 179 cm, 80 kg, so basically the same size (I'm sure we could pack 3kg on to Dufty), yet French has already played 23 NRL games.

Hell, Billy Slater is a cm shorter than Dufty. He's also 9 kgs heavier but he's also 34. I wonder what size Billy was when Bellamy took a chance on him all those years ago. No doubt a lot closer to 80 kg than 90.

So, I don't think we need to get George Rose to help Dufty out with his diet just yet.

Walpole
Evidently we have to beef Dufty up, so we can slow him down and then he might get a look in because you can't have 1 bloke making long breaks on his own if nobody can catch up to him if he needs to pass it.
Shame Trent Merrin isn't still with us, he knows how to stack on the kgs.

Old Timer

Coach
The interesting comparison for Dufty is with Bevan French. Their birthdays are 6 days apart, French is listed at 181cm, 83 kg - Dufty at 179 cm, 80 kg, so basically the same size (I'm sure we could pack 3kg on to Dufty), yet French has already played 23 NRL games.

Hell, Billy Slater is a cm shorter than Dufty. He's also 9 kgs heavier but he's also 34. I wonder what size Billy was when Bellamy took a chance on him all those years ago. No doubt a lot closer to 80 kg than 90.

So, I don't think we need to get George Rose to help Dufty out with his diet just yet.
Slater also debuted on the wing and then transitioned to FB

1st & 10

Juniors
Sorry I got nothing , I can not think of anything he has done tactically or made a positional change for for the last couple of years that stays in my mind .......No risk here ....

Mary has the IQ of twisted Dunlop Volleys.

Kevin Walters appears to be of the same ilk (ever heard him speak. It's like watching SBS without subtitles and I thought brad 'boys club" Fittler was bad)

Gareth67

First Grade
As said , his tactics paid dividends in the early part of the season , unfortunately the injuries and wear and tear on the forward pack has now appeared as a result . The man's selections continue to hinder any further improvement . All I can say is that he needs to take a punt and inject some younger blood into the team , as there is both speed and talent available in the Cutters .

I suggest this as , if we happen to make the finals the Dragons will require players that are game-breakers , more so if we are to go further than week one . All other coaches do take the same chances , wether it be because of injuries or SOO duties , they will put one of their club promising younger players in during such a period , in most cases the players do their clubs proud , I am sure that our own juniors would do likewise .

Drag Queen

Bench

Comparing French to Dufty. Did anyone notice how good French is under the high ball and how good his defence is for a small bloke. BA had this kid on his radar about 3 years ago. Brought him in slowly but I'm not sure you can compare the two. I reckon Dufty might get there but Bevan French is one of those freakish kids that we wish we had.