What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rival bid for new NRL doesn't faze organised WARL outfit

Perth Red

Post Whore
So it seems that Sage's bid is a rival to the Reds bid, let battle commence!

THE West Australian Rugby League says it has the building blocks in place to beat a rival bid and win an NRL licence when the competition is expanded as expected in 2015.
But WARL CEO John Sackson will not be rushed into naming prospective coaches or players.
"We've had some dialogue with some coaches, but we see no real value or need to start dropping names," Sackson said. "It's irrelevant until someone steps up and confirms expansion is happening and officially calls for a WA bod."
The WARL was surprised last week to learn of a rival bid for an NRL licence from Perth Glory owner Tony Sage, who plans to replicate the business model used by fellow mining magnate Nathan Tinkler in Newcastle.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/nr...ised-warl-outfit/story-fn7shzfu-1226256318191

Goddo

Bench
Whats that thing about supply and demand?

2 WA bids now.
2 maybe 3 SE Queensland bids and a few agitated QLD Cup teams

Then Gosford, Central Queensland, PNG. The game is in rude health.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Now I know that Sage has made no attempts to engage with the WARL my support, and the WA Red Army's, will remain firmly behind the WA Reds bid unless Sage can show he is more interested in the good of RL in WA than he is of cutting his operating costs for the Glory.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
I thought I read in an earlier article he was a sponsor and wanted to get more involved? Hopefully a "merger" of the two bids will come about.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not that I am aware of, there was some rumblings about Twiggy Forest getting involved but not confirmed. According to the WARL they did not know Sage was making this announcement and certainly not that he had appointed a future CEO and possible coach!

Spitty

Juniors
To be fair to Sage we don't know what his true intentions are other than he has Ben Elias researching NRL opportunities. It's not uncommon to throw a media story out there as a strategy to gauge interest, before making any actual overt moves. And this media story smacks of being such a strategy.

I seriously doubt Sage nor the WARL want competing bids, it's not in either of there best interests. It's very likely Sage is either feeling out the possibility of having a prominent role with the Reds or he's sending a message to other NRL clubs, most likely Cronulla that he's available to fund a team in WA if they're willing to move and absorb some of the Glory.

But rest assured the media report would not be 100% as it seems.

Latest posts