What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLIF breakaway rumours

langpark

First Grade
Just a bit of clarification from someone in the know:

The guy behind all this is a politician who got involved in Greek RL a few years ago and led it to its eventual expulsion from the RLEF and RLIF. Righ now in Greece, he has no more than 40 players at his disposal (despite claiming to have 4 active teams).

The Greek Rugby League Association was recently recognised as members by the RLEF and has 4 fully active clubs (Rhodes Knights, Aris Eagles, Attica Rhinos and Patras Panthers) and approx. 100 active players between them.

The split in Greece as no coincidence. This guy wanted total control and quickly got rid of anyone who was a threat to his dictatorship. He even tried to hand out monetary fines (of over 1000 euro) to players for playing matches that were 'not approved by him'. Just one of countless examples to highlight his insanity.

So, now he has found a friend in the italian rebels, a bunch of union enthusiasts who once in a blue moon remember to play a league match, plus a yorkshire-based 'pakistan'. Those are the only ones involved at this stage, which is why he is unable to specifically name any other real countries.

A complete non-story and should be treated as such.

roughyedspud

Coach
For a month or two now I'm actually growing more concerned that the 2025RLWC is being hijacked by "union" ,the 2025RLWC Twitter page posts just as much union stuff as it does league stuff...It's very dodgy imo

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'd question if there are any "union" fingerprints on this..

That football on the logo does look suspiciously like a Gilbert...

3000 years of history
Episkyros and Phainida in ancient Greece, Calcio Fiorentino in the Middle Ageas, Mob Footbal in Western Europe, formated as a sport at the down of the 19th century.

Ive always thought RL was missing a good bit of propagander value by not trying to inject our story into history...

The point is to alter the audiences sense of history, which is powerful because people imagine history as an objective truth. Create a culture that RL is simply the face of; it isnt about the game, it is what the game represents.

This is far too blunt to actually catch on, but the sentiment is right. If they can refine this to give RL "history" a more believable and compelling narrative, that will be an increadiby powerful tool for the game.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
From the site:

The founding General Assembly took place in Athens Greece and it was the result of long-time talks and efforts, of people from all over the World.
People who love the sport of Rugby League and suffer from discrimination, illegalities, arbitrary interference in their internal affairs and domination from other organizations, decided to put an end to all these and form a new International Federation, that will invest on domestic development and sports values.
Our Statute, Rules, Regulations and Circulars, are in-line with the Olympic Map requirements, as we want to establish a new, international environment for the sport of Rugby League.
Not only the founding members, but also many domestic federations, associations, leagues, clubs and individuals have approached us so as to widen the range of countries and territories who wish to become part of the international rugby league sport family.
We consider no-one as enemy. Rugby Union, American Football, Gaelic Football, Australian Football, Soccer, Handball, ect are part of the same athletic heritage that comes from the far past and drives the future forward, in a world of sportsmanship, solidarity and friendship.

Its a shame that, through all this, they decided to keep RLs stupid f*cking name....

DlEHARD

Juniors
The logo is made with a Gilbert ball... I agree this is a non event and agree that it is a front for a couple rebel groups. I find it very frustrating that different groups pop up, but there should be democratic guidelines laid down that guarantee some level of governance and protection.

adamkungl

Immortal
For a month or two now I'm actually growing more concerned that the 2025RLWC is being hijacked by "union" ,the 2025RLWC Twitter page posts just as much union stuff as it does league stuff...It's very dodgy imo

They seem to be running with a broad "grow Rugby in America"sentiment, regardless of which code. Wolfpack are similar supportive of their Union 'colleagues'. Doubt the same is true in reverse though.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
They seem to be running with a broad "grow Rugby in America"sentiment, regardless of which code. Wolfpack are similar supportive of their Union 'colleagues'. Doubt the same is true in reverse though.

If RU in Australia collapses, i wonder if World Rugby would consider allowing the ARLC to take over and provide teams for the World Cups/Bledislow...

I reckon NRL players would give these comps more of a shake than the Wallabies ever could

roughyedspud

Coach
There needs to be a investigation into "union infiltration" in our sport,to me it's quite clear that this is their new tactic to destabilise rugby league.

Reactions: siv

langpark

First Grade
What more do you want to know? It's all BS mate. If you want more details, go on facebook there where they claim 21 nations are involved an ask them to list the 21 nations. Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

roughyedspud

Coach
Screenshot_2017-04-29-00-00-46_zpso3epf57h.png

thorson1987

Coach
What more do you want to know? It's all BS mate. If you want more details, go on facebook there where they claim 21 nations are involved an ask them to list the 21 nations. Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

Just asked them to list the 21 "countries".

Not expecting a reply though.