What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLIF World Cup 2007????

Bring Back The World Cup

• Yes it's important

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why Bother Australia will win it any how

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

In-goal

Bench
There has been much speculation that a world cup may be held in Australia during 2007 to celebrate 100 years of Rugby League down under. I have had a quick look into it and i do believe with the right number of nations it can be a success, here's why.

Australia: World champions, the greatest rugby outfit on the planet not much more to say realy.

Great Britian:(England) Not sure if you would break up the GB squad in favour of home nations but would be strong regardless as England in 2007 with the quality youth coming through.

New Zealand: Getting better every year with more and more exciting prospects coming into the NRL via the wonderful warriors club.

France: Buy this stage will have had a club in the Super League for over 2 full seasons, could possibly spark a revolution to the French game much like the Warriors have done to New Zealand.

P.N.G: Rugby League still remains the national sport of P.N.G. and another reason why they deserve to have this oppertunity.

Wales: Pending on a G.B turnout weather or not they can compete, during RLWC 2000 put in a wonderfull effort against Australia to go within 15 minutes of the greatest sporting upset ever.

There is 6 nations there with a main group of say 8 or 10 could be a wonderful RL world cup, surley if Japan v Scotland can attract 19,000 people to townsville Wales v P.N.G. can attract 25,000.

If the World cup was to have 10 nations i would have 2 pools of 5, meaning every one gets a minimum of 4 games.

so what do you all think?

hgfds

Juniors
What about a qualifying tournament [like the 7s ] prior to the event,south africa could be the host for this.[good warm up for the minows}

Lantana

Juniors
The World Cup should be played in pool games. Four pools of 5.
Your pool placement is determined by your current ranking.
Teams that are ranked in the top five battle for the World Cup.
Teams that are ranked in the next five (5-10) battle for the World Plate .
Teams that are ranked in the next five (10-15) for the World Bowl
Teams ranked outside that go on play for the World Emerging Cup.
The games that are not for the World Cup could be played in development areas

*World Cup
1 Australia
2 New Zealand
3 England
4 France
5 Wales

*World Plate
6 Samoa
7 Ireland
8 Tonga
9 Lebanon
10 PNG

World Bowl
11 Fiji
12 Scotland
13 USA
14 Russia
15 Cook Islands

World Emerging Cup
Morroco
Japan
Greece
Italy
Sth Africa
Serbia
New Caledonia
Canada
Holland

This would give plenty of international flavour to the tournament, exposing players of relative experience and ability against similar opponents.
It would do away with the one-sided contests that are harming event the credability of the Rugby Onion World Cup .

bazza

Immortal
8 teams would be reasonably high quality

Have Australia, NZ and England automatic qualifiers.

Have 2 qualifiers from Europe (inc. lebanese and Morocco) and 2 qualifiers from Asia-Pacific (inc. South Africa) Then have 8th qualifier the winner of 3rd place from each zone.

Could end up something like
1. Aus
2. Eng
3. NZ
4. France
5. Wales
6. PNG
7. Samoa
8. Russia

2 pools of 8 would mean 3 games each plus semis and final - could be over and done in 4 weeks as well

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think most of us have waited long enough to have international matches in Australia. I think the 2007 WC should definatley be held in Australia. When was the last time Brisbane or Canberra had hosted a test match or an international game? Australia should have more internationals.

I reckon 14 teams for the next World Cup:

Australia
NZL
England
Wales
France
PNG
Russia
Lebanon
Tonga
Fiji
Samoa
South Africa
USA
Scotland
Ireland

Emerging Nations:
Japan
Canada
Greece
Italy
Cook Islands
New Caledonia
Holland
Morrocco

Play the big matches in Sydney (Aussie, Telstra), Brisbane, Canberra and Melbourne (Colonial or Olympic). Then stage some matches in Parramatta, Townsville, Newcastle, Win stadium, Campbelltown, Gosford, most of the NRL grounds, and then play some matches in country rural areas like Dubbo, Parkes, Wagga and then probably Perth or Adelaide.

This should improve international football, I hope this one is a success.

obsulete

Juniors
hgfds said:
What about a qualifying tournament [like the 7s ] prior to the event,south africa could be the host for this.[good warm up for the minows}

I thought I read that a 20 team emerging nations was already planned with South Africa to host in 2005??

If thats true your could reward the top 4 with auto qualifying and get the rest to play matches for the next 2 years till the cup as regional qualifiers or something.

Razor

Coach
obsulete said:
hgfds said:

I thought I read that a 20 team emerging nations was already planned with South Africa to host in 2005??

If thats true your could reward the top 4 with auto qualifying and get the rest to play matches for the next 2 years till the cup as regional qualifiers or something.

There is. All teams bar Aus, NZ, Eng and Wales playing in it

Stevo_G

Juniors
they should not split up gb into home nations they never ever play as eng,soct,wal
But ireland should split away from gb

10 teams
Aus
N.Z
PNG
Fiji
Russia
Lebanon
France
Great Britian
Ireland
Samoa

obsulete

Juniors
Stevo_G said:
they should not split up gb into home nations they never ever play as eng,soct,wal
But ireland should split away from gb

What r u talking about, it's only been the past couple of years that league has started taking off in all 4 home nations. Of course they should be self represented.

The amature home nations is now an annual event. And hopefully the ENC will become a 6 nations round robin next year.

I dont want to support GB full of English. I want to support Wales full of Welsh..

In-goal

Bench
A couple of good ideas have come forth already, 10 team WC was used in 95 and that was seen as highly succesful maybe we could go to 12 any more and the standards would be too low.

IMO the more close games the better off we are i.e. already the Coma ball WC has copped plenty for the 70+ points bashings.

The standard of the World cup comes down to clubs, if we can get all the fully proffesional nations to foster an emerging nation we would be some were on the right track.

If we can also keep the WC to a reasonable size it will allow nations like NZ the chance at sole host rights, which i think is very important.

dimitri

First Grade
i think 16 nations

would be ok in australia

i know it lost money in england but i think it would work in australia

LEBANESE GAMES at BELMORE

GREEK/ITALIAN GAMES AT KOGARAH/LEICHARDT/MELBOURNE

SOME ENGLAND/GB GAMES IN PERTH AND SYDNEY

ETC ETC

WE NEED TO USE OUR MULTICULTURAL POPULATION AS AN ADVANTAGE

PARRA_FAN

Coach
dimitri said:
i think 16 nations

would be ok in australia

i know it lost money in england but i think it would work in australia

LEBANESE GAMES at BELMORE

GREEK/ITALIAN GAMES AT KOGARAH/LEICHARDT/MELBOURNE

SOME ENGLAND/GB GAMES IN PERTH AND SYDNEY

ETC ETC

WE NEED TO USE OUR MULTICULTURAL POPULATION AS AN ADVANTAGE

Good idea Dimitri, if countries like Greece and Italy qualified it would definatley get some crowds. And i agree Lebanon would be better off playing in a World Cup thats in Australia, since there is a stronger support down under.

I reckon play some England games in Queensland, most of the poms like spending holidays up there.

dimitri

First Grade
it just makes sense to hold a rl world cup in australia

nations like greece, italy, lebanon etc etc

even nz maori and cook islands would find it easier to get crowds in aus than gb

PARRA_FAN

Coach
If they stage the next world cup in GB, once again :roll: , Ill give it away it wont be a success. Dont they know what happened in the 2000 WC, shocking crowds, ordinary weather, blow out scorelines, they mustve lost a lot of money towards that tournament, it was badly organised. They didnt stage enough games in the North of England where there are diehard rugby league fans.

Everyone agrees, that the next WC should be staged in Australia. We have the worlds biggest rugby league supporters down here.

2007 World Cup in Australia, 14 nations competing, play matches in Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Brisbane, Newcastle, the gong, Adelaide, perth, Townsville etc. Im looking forward to it.

In-goal

Bench
The last world cup was handled quite badly, but it has been proven there is real interest in the internation game.

Australia, England, New Zealand to be given direct birth then the rest should have to qualify.

I think 12 nations is as big as we could realy should go due to the massive blow out factor.

3 pools of 4 or 4 pools of 3.

possible pools
Australia, Lebanon, P.N.G.
England, Tonga, Russia
Wales, Irleand, Samoa
New Zealand, France, Fiji

Now that would make for a decent world cup but i think 10 nations would be even better, the most important thing is to make sure the qualifacation paths are set in stone so we get the best nations playing.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
In-goal said:
France: Buy this stage will have had a club in the Super League for over 2 full seasons, could possibly spark a revolution to the French game much like the Warriors have done to New Zealand.

quote]

Is this set in concrete? This is the first I hear of this but nonetheless if it is true your right hopefully it will have a similar effect in france to what the warriors have had in NZ.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
In-goal said:
France: Buy this stage will have had a club in the Super League for over 2 full seasons, could possibly spark a revolution to the French game much like the Warriors have done to New Zealand.quote]

Is this set in concrete? This is the first I hear of this but nonetheless if it is true your right hopefully it will have a similar effect in france to what the warriors have had in NZ.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Whoever voted 'Why bother Australia will win anyway", is a goose. Rugby League has World Cups for a reason.

Razor

Coach
Tidus_Raider said:

UTC in 2005. Confirmed.

Latest posts