What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLIF World Cup 2007????

Bring Back The World Cup

• Yes it's important

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why Bother Australia will win it any how

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Razor said:
Tidus_Raider said:
Is this set in concrete? This is the first I hear of this but nonetheless if it is true your right hopefully it will have a similar effect in france to what the warriors have had in NZ.

UTC in 2005. Confirmed.

Thanks. But what's UTC?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Why bite off more than we can chew? I saw a sixteen team tournament, same forms as 2000, but in Australia. Qualifying tournaments, just so we can say 'They beat Russia and so and so to be here'. Works for Georgia.

Then an emerging nations world cup, with any nation capable of fielding a team and getting it here having a chance. Let's face it, Emerging Nations isn't about drawing crowds, it's about earning experience. Hell, give the winner automatic qualification for the next WC.

Note: Isn't 2007 the date for the next Ra-Ra WC? If so, where will it be held?

Give Australia, New Zealand, and England automatic qualification. I'd even suggest giving Wales and Papua New Guinea the same. Both of these sides have the ability to at least push the top three for a while- and it'd be farcical not to have them in there.

Make everyone else qualify- even if it was only for the bragging rights.

The remainder play out the Emerging Nations cup, have the matches as curtain raisers. It'd mean a larger crowd, and fans would jump at the chance for 'two internationals for the price of one'.

That's just my suggestion. I'd love to see it Downunder, because we have a more vocal league fraternity. Union fans would maybe make the trip, and then there are the ethnic bases like Sydney (Lebanon, Greece), Melbourne (Greece, Italy), and even Perth (South Africa). Plus we love underdogs, so no doubt crowds would show up to see Tarstastan clash with England.

Just my take.
Chris

Razor

Coach
Tidus_Raider said:
Razor said:
Tidus_Raider said:
Is this set in concrete? This is the first I hear of this but nonetheless if it is true your right hopefully it will have a similar effect in france to what the warriors have had in NZ.

UTC in 2005. Confirmed.

Thanks. But what's UTC?

The name of the club.

Stands for

Union T****** C******

In-goal

Bench
UTC is a merged club from a couple of older french clubs couldn't tell you there names though, i think one was Catalan which the C stands for Triese or Trieze making it Union Trieze Catalan i think.

A couple of years ago they drew Wigan in the Challenge Cup were a crowd of over 9,000 was on hand to see them hammered buy the British giants.

The thing is the current french teams are only part timers so they couldn't expect to compete with full time proffesionals, hopefully this will change once UTC join the Super League.

I think there will be 4 French players in the SL next season playing for various clubs.

Dogboy

Juniors
A World Cup is a must for rugby league. Plenty of teams, I'd say either 12 or 16, need to be involved in order to promote the game wider than the usual few nations.

I would prefer not to see it in the same year as the union World Cup, otherwise it might be difficult to get the required publicity. I would say hold it in the year before each RUnionWC, which would mean 2006. I don't know if that allows enough time this time round though, given the apparent apathy of the RLIF.

I think if it was held in Australia and NZ, maybe with PNG hosting a couple of home games, then it would be a huge success. Most games involving Pacific island nations could be held in NZ, and those involving such teams as Lebanon, Italy etc could be held in Oz. It would be fantastic!

In-goal

Bench
According to an arcticle in todays Daily Telegraph a Wc maybe schedualed for 2008, now i imagine that it would be played in the post season i.e. when the NRL is over.

This would coincide with the Centenary of League down under and more importantly it would give the French one more season of Fullt time proffesionalism in the form of U.T.C.

As long as our WC pool matches are reasonibly close we will be able to claim a succesfull competition.

Imagine Australia getting knocked out in the Semi finals of the WC buy the likes of England or New Zealand it would be one of the great turning points for our international game.

The Observer

Staff member
Ermm, I may have got the basic maths wrong :oops: :oops: , but wouldn't the actual 100th year of League be in 2007?

dimitri

First Grade
yeah the 100th year of league would be 2007

and thats when the next world cup was going to be held at one stage

the bad thing about 2008 is that it would once again be in an olympic year

mono_mal

Juniors
A rugby league world cup is needed and i have put much thought into this.
The most viable year for the competition to be played would be 2005.
This ensures there is no competition via the Olympics(2004), Soccer World Cup(2006), Rugby World Cup(2007), Cricket World Cup(2007), European Soccer Cup (2004), Winter Olympics (2006).
2005 is the only year with no competition and is the obvious choice. If played every four years this ensures the League World Cup has no competition and becomes the years top sporting event.

bayrep

Juniors
Also isnt the Tri series between Eng/Aus and NZ being held untill 2008 this would mean with NRL, SOO and the Tri series I do not see any opening for a WC untill 2008.

In-goal

Bench
I think it's the Tri series that will push celebrations back a year.

Good to see that the ARL are finally going to look at a major RL event for Australia, games could be played at any of the following venues.

Telstra Stadium
Telstra Dome
Aussie Stadium
Parra Stadium
Lang Park
Newcastle
Parkes
Gosford
Carrara
Townsville
Hindmarsh
Perth Oval
Harvey Norman (Darwin)
Olympic Park
Wagga Wagga

Our International championship should be more than the Kangaroos winning it should be about the celebration of the toughest sport on Earth. Rugby League the sport that brings people together not the one that throws people away.

dimitri

First Grade
Telstra Stadium
Telstra Dome
Aussie Stadium
Parra Stadium
Lang Park
Newcastle
Parkes
Gosford
Carrara
Townsville
Hindmarsh
Perth Oval
Harvey Norman (Darwin)
Olympic Park
Wagga Wagga

i totally agree

most those grounds would be great

and RL support is so strong in rural areas that we could have minnows playing and the games would still sell out

it would be great to see the kangaroos playing some games in melbourne, adelaide and perth

Misanthrope

Staff member
This may be a ways off, but it might even be worth looking at largish regional venues for World Cup matches. Tamworth's Scully Park was being looked at to host City vs. Country a year or so ago, and if they could fix facilities, it'd make a good regional locale.

Chris

PARRA_FAN

Coach
dimitri said:
Telstra Stadium
Telstra Dome
Aussie Stadium
Parra Stadium
Lang Park
Newcastle
Parkes
Gosford
Carrara
Townsville
Hindmarsh
Perth Oval
Harvey Norman (Darwin)
Olympic Park
Wagga Wagga

i totally agree

most those grounds would be great

and RL support is so strong in rural areas that we could have minnows playing and the games would still sell out

it would be great to see the kangaroos playing some games in melbourne, adelaide and perth

Especially Newcastle, I heard they were developing the Stadium, a new grandstand. Geez I cant wait, Australia doesnt see enough international and its not fair we dont see enough of the Kangaroos.

They should play some games against some minnows like South Africa, Russia, Samoa, Fiji or even Lebanon, and play em at smaller grounds like Wagga, Parkes, Gosford etc. Sure they'll beat em easy but its one way of improving the developing nations in rugby league.

Btw, Joondalup has a rugby league ground dont they?

In-goal

Bench
The Union bouycotted Newcastle and i bet i know the reason why, so i think it would be important to make Newcastle a major venue for a Rugby League World Cup.

ball boy

Bench
Telstra Stadium
Telstra Dome
Aussie Stadium
Parra Stadium
Lang Park
Newcastle
Parkes
Gosford
Carrara
Townsville
Hindmarsh
Perth Oval
Harvey Norman (Darwin)
Olympic Park
Wagga Wagga

what bout canberra

In-goal

Bench
What about Canberra :shock:

Sorry totaly missed the capital, yes i would also have matches there as they are a very important part of our Rugby League community.

Latest posts