What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC Draw Official Poster --- Northern Hemisphere Snub ???

The Partisan

Frivolous Friday arvo observation here !

Just noticed looking at the official poster 5 of the six teams shown are from the Southern Hemisphere.....with England being the sole representatives for our Northern H visitors.

Realise 3 SH countries are hosting and deserve their place .....but surely room could have been found for France and the USA to be showcased.

Makes it look like The South Pacific v England at a glance !

http://www.rlwc2017.com/draw/Rugby League World Cup 2017 Tournament Draw.pdf

The Partisan

Ok ...so no one thinks that it is a mistake that most of the promotional material produced to date ( well as far as i can tell anyway !) highlights only one Northern Hemisphere team ...England.

Would have thought having a USA or France player shown would have helped raise the profile of the tournament in those countries and possibly even brought in more potential sponsors. Tonga and Samoa are certainly worthy opponents on the field.....but i doubt either country has a potential global sponsor in their midst.

Just think it is a bit of a slap in the face to France especially, who drove the concept of a World Cup back in ye olden days and now has the trophy named after one of those forward thinking administrators.

jim_57

Staff member
Ok ...so no one thinks that it is a mistake that most of the promotional material produced to date ( well as far as i can tell anyway !) highlights only one Northern Hemisphere team ...England.

Would have thought having a USA or France player shown would have helped raise the profile of the tournament in those countries and possibly even brought in more potential sponsors. Tonga and Samoa are certainly worthy opponents on the field.....but i doubt either country has a potential global sponsor in their midst.

Just think it is a bit of a slap in the face to France especially, who drove the concept of a World Cup back in ye olden days and now has the trophy named after one of those forward thinking administrators.

You have a good point, especially with France. It is a "Pacific" world cup I guess, but should be highlighting teams like France, USA, Italy (when they qualify) etc as well if for nothing but giving a more global perception.

The Partisan

Bit a bit of a bore here i know.......but the latest promo videos / images I've seen of the RLWC continue to ignore the already qualified France and Scotland and USA. Surely they have some stock from 2013 they can use ???

Latest posts