What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC Pros and Cons

Pommy

Coach
To suit the league...league wont win the battle with cricket, especially when its International league vs the Ashes.

It was 80 minutes of a five day test being played thousands of miles away, it may have had an impact but I doubt it was the great.

Force

Juniors
Both were good finals! The womens more flamboyant. The mens gripping and intense. It was great tv product. The players deserve a wrap! The organisers deserve a deep hard look at their poor scheduling/venue choices and pricing policy.
I recall quite a few staunch league fans ridiculing the womens game when they have been superb throughout the tournament, especially given their poor 3 day rests schedule between games. I enjoyed the womens final better than the mens.

Stallion

First Grade
I thought one of the pros was the Women's RLWC, I really enjoyed watching them play.

The womens game is definitely on the up and is long overdue! In my city the local administrators were the last area in NSW country to introduce Ladies league tag and it's now thriving in both 2nd division and District competitions. The first ever womens rugby league competition is starting up next season in the 2nd division competition (thats progress) Other codes have womens competition for more than a decade. The rugby league will overtake most of the codes (except soccer) as the increased body contact aspect is much more than union and AFL. The women up here are not wimps! Lol.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Been a brilliant tournament, I’ve loved every minute. Really lucky to have been able to attend some games, loved catching up,with fans from all over the world, loved watching Tonga and their amazing fans, loved seeing png come of Age and be able to host major test matches successfully, loved seeing Fiji and the passion for play8ng for their country, loved the tenacity of the Irish and the solidarity of the Lebanese. Enjoyed watching england step it up and oh so nearly finally topple Australia. Wonderful to see the women’s game conti use to evolve and get recoginition, that Final showed great skill and power from the ladies.

Been brilliant, role on 2021,

Stallion

First Grade
Thought the English were great! The brand of football and differing styles of play were refreshing to watch. Well done to all participating nations!

Emu01

Juniors
Pro: was how the woman’s game has come along. The skills the girls displayed were amazing.

I managed to attend 2 games and really loved the vibe and atmosphere. The drums at the Lebanon game was something I won’t forget. Just walking through Townsville and seeing all the players promoting the game was great to see.

Con: was some of the venues selected couldn’t produce enough atmosphere for a World Cup game. Quarter final ticket prices leading to smaller crowds in Wellington in particular.

Stallion

First Grade
Pro: was how the woman’s game has come along. The skills the girls displayed were amazing.

I managed to attend 2 games and really loved the vibe and atmosphere. The drums at the Lebanon game was something I won’t forget. Just walking through Townsville and seeing all the players promoting the game was great to see.

Con: was some of the venues selected couldn’t produce enough atmosphere for a World Cup game. Quarter final ticket prices leading to smaller crowds in Wellington in particular.

Good examples of the issues during this entertaining world cup.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Why the f**k is the final on the same night as the first ever day/night ashes test?

Organisers strike again.

I actually thought they set the date for the final before the Ashes schedule.

I think it might've been at the start of the year that the ICC announced the second test as a Day night test. Although I could be wrong.

Tbh I don't mind the day/night test, but should've just been a day test for the Ashes.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

Great to see more countries get involved and I know Canada got thrashed in some games but gee they tried hard for a team of girls who never played the game this time last year.

Its a nice step towards 2025 when they co-host the tournament.

lockyno1

Post Whore
A daytime only cricket test should have been on. No tv clash except with the very entertaining women's final.

Adelaide is always a D/N test in recent times.

This could have been avoided had they shortened the group stages of the pool matches. There should have been mid week games. That reduces the tournament by a week straight away.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I loved every second of the World Cup! This was the tournament that the international game came of age. Ireland and the Pacific nations were imense. England were gutsy, brave and so impressive in the final. No one wants to be a gallant loser but England would have earnt many fans from that performance against a Kangaroo side with multiple future imortals in it.

I love that our World Cup has both a men's and women's event and that they are not separate tournaments, it gives us a point of difference.

I loved the TV ratings that fully justified what channel 7 paid and I loved that next time there is an international tournament up for grabs it will be in demand and the value will rise significantly.

I loved that cities bid big dollars to host matches and I loved that the New Zealand public (albeit through Tonga) were engaged in a big way.

I wish England 2021 started tomorrow. We know that the crowds are better in the Northern Hemisphere - imagine that world cup with the big matches filling the likes of Anfield, Old Trafford, Wembley etc - it will be such a good look for the game and the competition will be more feirce than ever.

Latest posts