What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC Qualifying Nations

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
(Apologies if this is already an existing thread.)

As of right now, the tournament has 11 of 14 places filled:
Australia
England
NZ
PNG
France
Scottland
Fiji
Lebonon
Samoa
Tonga
USA (didnt see this one coming)

I was wondering who the other "most likely"s are for the next 3 spots....

langpark

First Grade
Are you guys serious?? You call yourselves fans!?

It's:
Italy, Wales, Serbia, vying for one spot.
Ireland, Russia, Spain, for another.
Then second place of each group playing off for the third.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Are you guys serious?? You call yourselves fans!?

It's:
Italy, Wales, Serbia, vying for one spot.
Ireland, Russia, Spain, for another.
Then second place of each group playing off for the third.

Thats what i was looking for. Thankyou.

I would expect Wales and Ireland, but id love to see some new team
#SpainPlane :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I never called myself a fan. That's a false accusation.

So it will be Italy, Ireland and Wales on heritage alone with Serbia the best hope of pulling off an upset.

If it was just domestic, probably Wales, Serbia, Italy.

You would think Serbia would have some heritage players to call upon in Australia.

langpark

First Grade
I never called myself a fan. That's a false accusation.

So it will be Italy, Ireland and Wales on heritage alone with Serbia the best hope of pulling off an upset.

If it was just domestic, probably Wales, Serbia, Italy.

You would think Serbia would have some heritage players to call upon in Australia.
This is gonna be the interesting part. Serbia have never really had a heritage player to call upon, the only one I can remember playing was this year, Jason Muranka from Dewsbury.

But, the Trbojevic brothers are eligible and it will be interesting if they choose to play! I really hope they do!

Evil Homer

Staff member
I really hope they don't. Serbia making it with no heritage players would be the greatest story in international RL history.

CQ Italia

Juniors
I know if Serbia come for the NSWRL/Cabramatta 9's - back in July they said they had at least 10 heritage players in Australia for that tournament (but various amateur most likely)

Stefan Ratchford has Serbian heritage too

langpark

First Grade
I really hope they don't. Serbia making it with no heritage players would be the greatest story in international RL history.
To very few of us yes, that's how we would see it.

But to the 'mainstream' rugby league world, all they would get is taunts and ridicule for their achievement. Look no further than this video if you need proof of what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0wg9bh65OQ

Plus, two NRL player is your team, really pales into insignificance when you compare it to the likes of every other team that will be playing at the WC.

Evil Homer

Staff member
To very few of us yes, that's how we would see it.

But to the 'mainstream' rugby league world, all they would get is taunts and ridicule for their achievement. Look no further than this video if you need proof of what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0wg9bh65OQ

Plus, two NRL player is your team, really pales into insignificance when you compare it to the likes of every other team that will be playing at the WC.
If you're seriously worried about the possibility of Aussies being one-eyed and ignorant then you're going to be worried for a long time TBH.

Russia and Spain will raise the curtain on the 2017 Rugby League World Cup European qualifiers with the Russian Rugby League’s (ARLK) confirmation that Moscow city ground Fili will be the venue for their opening Pool B match against Spain. It will kick off at 3pm on 15 October, 2016.

“There have been a lot of changes to Russian rugby league’s structure and championship,” said ARLK Executive Director Dennis Korolev. “New teams have entered the conferences, a number of rugby league 9s tournaments have been held in different regions of the Russian Federation and the national team is going through changes as well. We realize that all our matches will be really hard work but our aim is to take part in the 2017 World Cup.”

Spain coach Darren Fisher said: “We are looking forward to the qualifying rounds and have a supreme test in drawing Russia away in our first game. We know they will be very strong and organised but we are excited about the challenge - the biggest one of our history so far.

“We’re preparing well, the domestic game has massively improved and that’s due to the desire to be in the frame for a World Cup place. Rugby league in Spain is thriving nationally, in only three years to be playing teams like Russia and Ireland, who knows what we can achieve, the possibilities are endless.”

The game will be the first international between the nations. With Ireland the group favourites, the winner of this clash will be in a strong position to compete in the final eliminator between the two second placed finishers from Pools A and B, scheduled for Leigh on 4 November.

http://www.rlef.eu.com/news/article/1247/world-cup-european-qualifiers-will

jim_57

Staff member
I'm strangely excited for these tournaments so will hopefully get a chance to watch.

I'd love to see a big push to get these played to big crowds and televised. The RLIF/RLEF should help out with local marketing in each country. The game needs more "events" in developing nations.