What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC TV Rating Thread

supercharger

Juniors
So combined 2.8 million viewership in England and Australia. I wonder if the worldwide figure can reach 3 million :thinking:

DC80

Juniors
Assume it would have been up against the Ashes in England too which is double bad luck!
Cricket (like Rugby league) is a lot bigger in Australia than England. There isnt some mad frenzy to stick the cricket on here. TBH it always amazed me it's so big in Australia as its the quintessential English toffs game. It's more classical music than rock n roll. Gents in whites, tea, five days, rain stopped play, cricket belongs in the Victorian era where it was invented. I watched 10 minutes of the first day of the first test and that was it for me. The game being on wouldn't have had much of an impact on RL viewing figures, especially as the cricket is hidden away on BT sport.

Stallion

First Grade
Cricket is pretty much the national game in Australia … played and enjoyed by ALL classes …

Whereas rugby league could be enjoyed by all classes but we have a "block" idealogy not allowing the sport in elite private schools everywhere. So this is a real issue for rugby league going forward and in its past. The other football codes are accepted but RL is not. Although the private schools of Brisbane had a rugby-league competition going many decades ago (1928-38 ?). Hoping that RL can be accepted like the other codes one day. Remembering that all codes have a presence in the rest of the schools (public& Catholic )

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Whereas rugby league could be enjoyed by all classes but we have a "block" idealogy not allowing the sport in elite private schools everywhere. So this is a real issue for rugby league going forward and in its past. The other football codes are accepted but RL is not. Although the private schools of Brisbane had a rugby-league competition going many decades ago (1928-38 ?). Hoping that RL can be accepted like the other codes one day. Remembering that all codes have a presence in the rest of the schools (public& Catholic )

Wonder how much damage the BRL v QRL war of 1929-1930 did ?

The Brisbane GPS schools reverted back to the rah rah.

It helped that RL propped up QLD union during the 1920s or else there would have been nothing to go back to...

The equivalent of the NZ rugby union giving the NZRL a cheque to help them out. Don't hold your breath on that one. :joy:

latingringo101

Juniors
This tournament was great for Australia and the UK tv rating wise, but I've heard stories of people I know who back packed around Europe and the Americas and found it close to impossible to watch it on tv or Livestream.

I heard similar stories in 2013 when some of the countries participating in the tournament didn't even have it running in their own nation. I hope by 2021 worldwide EVERYONE can watch the WC by an official stream or something which is simple and easy to access.

Pommy

Coach
This tournament was great for Australia and the UK tv rating wise, but I've heard stories of people I know who back packed around Europe and the Americas and found it close to impossible to watch it on tv or Livestream.

I heard similar stories in 2013 when some of the countries participating in the tournament didn't even have it running in their own nation. I hope by 2021 worldwide EVERYONE can watch the WC by an official stream or something which is simple and easy to access.

I managed to get the final in Estonia no bother, the Irish bar was happy to know there was some sport on for the Saturday morning.
The table next to me had a group of Eastern Europeans who had never seen the sport before, they got well in to it.

beave

Coach
Im in the states, the final was on live Foxsports 2 (618). I was over here earlier in the year and quite surprised most NRL games were on live.

Latest posts