What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC TV Rating Thread

Billythekid

First Grade

Shame Tonga v NZ was in the ratings dead-zone of 3pm Saturday... Would have possibly pushed 500K if it was even a couple of hours later...

Overall fantastic ratings. The Tonga game was in a poor spot but rated well regardless. I think that game is why the Somoa one managed to actually pull pretty good ratings. Overall we've been pretty consistent.

Hoping for a slight boost next week for the QF's and then a big jump for the semis and GF.

Stallion

First Grade
Aus v Lebonon getting almost 1mil is crazy!!!

Shows have valuable rep RL is. Why the Roos are taking a break next year, i will never know. They SHOULD be doubling down, cementing their support and capitalising on their interest.

Absolutely! Hopefully the stakeholders will come to their senses and add some internationals to the calendar! It's clearly worth it!

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Mmmmm … those results are a bit disappointing, yes? I guess the games not being close didn't help.

There also certainly has been a noticeable drop-off in RLWC media publicity and hype … the big gap between games means the tournament is constantly losing all momentum …

Force

Juniors
TV ratings in NZ.

The Kiwis vs Tonga match did better than the All Whites v Peru World Cup qualifier which began 40mins earlier than the league match. It was the 2nd most watched sporting event on the weekend not far behind the All Blacks vs France game which was played the following morning.

Television viewer numbers SKY Sport (ages 5+)

Rugby - All Blacks v France 482,600
League - Kiwis v Tonga 394,400
Football - All Whites v Peru 346,500
Golf - LPGA Tour Blue Bay 59,600
Boxing - Junior Fa v Fred Latham 36,900
(Figures courtesy of AC Nielsen)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?objectid=11943498&ref=twitter

Billythekid

First Grade
Mmmmm … those results are a bit disappointing, yes? I guess the games not being close didn't help.

There also certainly has been a noticeable drop-off in RLWC media publicity and hype … the big gap between games means the tournament is constantly losing all momentum …

The first 2 games would have been competing against the AFL I believe. The England game didn't start until after 9pm on te east coast which I'm sure didn't help.

I agree coverage has been down and I think that has prevented the tournament gaining more momentum but ratings have remained strong in weeks 2 and 3. Sunday was the only day where ratings were down at all.

Billythekid

First Grade
TV ratings in NZ. The Kiwis vs Tonga match did better than the All Whites v Peru World Cup qualifier played which began 40mins earlier. It was the 2nd most watched sporting even behind the All Blacks vs France game the following morning.

Television viewer numbers SKY Sport (ages 5+)
Rugby - All Blacks v France 482,600
League - Kiwis v Tonga 394,400
Football - All Whites v Peru 346,500
Golf - LPGA Tour Blue Bay 59,600
Boxing - Junior Fa v Fred Latham 36,900
(Figures courtesy of AC Nielsen)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?objectid=11943498&ref=twitter

That seems like pretty good ratings. Just shows when you add in all the countries watching the RLWC the ratings have been very good.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Shame Tonga v NZ was in the ratings dead-zone of 3pm Saturday... Would have possibly pushed 500K if it was even a couple of hours later...

Wow, I hope the ARLC and all broadcasters take note - there is a real appetite for the Kangaroos - more content please!

siv

First Grade
How many viewers for RU this week ?

Wonder how mucg Ch7 paid for the rights ?

The current NRL TV deal is worth around $250k per game or around $7 mil for 28 games just in Oz

Perth Red

Post Whore

On the one hand I'm pleased to see Perth ratings similar or better than Melbourne's for a lot of the games, on the flip side with the population and RL presence in Melbourne you'd expect them to be better.

yakstorm

First Grade
Channel 7 paid just over $10 million for the RLWC rights.

On a positive note for the ratings for this weekend, Saturday's Quarter Final between Lebanon and Tonga has been moved from 7Mate to the main Channel in NSW, Queensland and Victoria. They should significantly boost the viewing numbers for that game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its a shame the afternoon games weren't on main 7 in all states. Im thinking House of Wellness and Northanger abbey cant rate that well in perth on a Saturday afternoon lol

Latest posts