What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
2013QF

Kiwis support has been a let down and Australia playing in Darwin kept their game artificially low. Christchurch wasn’t for two neutral teams, hopefully England draw ar Und 15k tomorrow

Stallion

First Grade
2013QF

Kiwis support has been a let down and Australia playing in Darwin kept their game artificially low. Christchurch wasn’t for two neutral teams, hopefully England draw ar Und 15k tomorrow

Just on appropriate venues. If Tonga played Lebanon in western Sydney (Penrith park or Campbeltown stadium) 20000 could have been achieved in attendances? The selection of venues and the convoluted tickets with exhorbitant pricing has destroyed any chance of record attendances for this entertaining world cup. Simple as that. Its been stuffed by organisers with no feel for rugby league and where it is at and what it is trying to do (hopefully expand internationally) The game needs to be seen with packed stadiums and not empty seats! It's on show!

Burns

First Grade
So, um.

How does next week ticket sales go now? Brisbane has some Bays open on the top tier, Auckland seems like non-TV stand is not on sale.

Auckland to sell out with (30,000?) - depends how big the Tonga hype is
Brisbane to sell as if it was a regular Broncos home game and get 30,000 (hopefully!)

Stallion

First Grade
So, um.

How does next week ticket sales go now? Brisbane has some Bays open on the top tier, Auckland seems like non-TV stand is not on sale.

Brisbane to sell as if it was a regular Broncos home game and get 30,000 (hopefully!)

England(probably,) v Tonga would be fascinating to watch! Kangaroos v Fiji needs positive marketing. The Fijians are solid and this game can be positively sold to the public as a celebration of the code growing as a sport. It's different and should be seen as a novelty. Cross fingers these games aren't subject to high ticket pricing and convoluted seat allocations.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Wikipedia tells me that there are 1,140 people of Lebanese descent in New Zealand and virtually all of them live in Auckland. Seeing most NZ Tongans also live in the North Island this is not that bad a crowd

The difference is that the Lebanese that grew up in Sydney gravitated towards RL because it is the main sport. The Lebanese that grew up in NZ probably have no affinity with RL and most likely support soccer or RU.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
England(probably,) v Tonga would be fascinating to watch! Kangaroos v Fiji needs positive marketing. The Fijians are solid and this game can be positively sold to the public as a celebration of the code growing as a sport. It's different and should be seen as a novelty. Cross fingers these games aren't subject to high ticket pricing and convoluted seat allocations.

I've got tickets to the Brisbane semi-final. I was hoping for a NZ v Aus game as (even in poor form) the Kiwis / Kangaroos rivalry would have shifted 35 - 40k tickets but I'm really concerned about the crowd now that Fiji made it through. The last two WC semi finals against Australia they have lost 52 - 0 and 64 - 0 and they showed no signs yesterday that they would trouble the Kangaroos defense.

morningstar

Juniors
Dissapointing we couldn't crack 10k in Chch yesterday, but as I posted before it wasn't great scheduling.

I had a blast, carnival atmosphere. Game was great and the Tongan fans were unreal. Don't know if it came across on the telecast but a couple of times they spontaneously broke out into singing hymns during play. Very special monents to witness.

The 47 Lebanon fans were excellent value too. Very loud and did some impromptu dancing on the concourse at half time.

Burns

First Grade
Melbourne doesn't look great, but that was to be expected I suppose.

Um, maybe 6,000 - 7,000?

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
Melbourne doesn't look great, but that was to be expected I suppose.

Um, maybe 6,000 - 7,000?

It looks decent on TV but Melborunes stadium always looks misleading good (shame we didn't have more stadiums like it).

Thinking it will push 10K.

So, um.

Fiji making it makes a sellout semi very unlikely. Hopefully we can still push towards 35-40K. Not expecting a sellout in NZ. I'd be happy with 20K+.

Burns

First Grade
Fiji making it makes a sellout semi very unlikely. Hopefully we can still push towards 35-40K. Not expecting a sellout in NZ. I'd be happy with 20K+.
Given it's the first match in Brisbane, hopefully they can deliver.

@kiwileaguefan - I've enjoyed your insight to NZ crowds. Do you think many neutral NZRL fans will attend, or will we be relying on the Tonga hype to pack out Auckland?

PARRA_FAN

Coach

I'll be going to the game, hopefully a lot of people who'll attend the cricket including the Pommy league fans make their way towards Suncorp.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I reckon Melbourne looks fine. Nice showing in a non RL town (actually all 4 QFs are in non RL areas strangely)

How about for the QFs of the next WC here we either:
- push the hell out of pre-sales. Get those seats filled regardless of who is playing. Work out what Union did right in 2003 and copy it.
- don't announce the locations until the QFs are set (like NRL finals). This would allow us to strategically place games. Eg we could have had:
- Australia v Samoa (Brisbane)
- Tonga v Lebanon (Western Sydney)
- NZ v Fiji (Auckland)
- PNG v England (Port Moresby)

Not factoring in NT Govt lobbing in $1 million but you get the idea.

Latest posts