What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Crowd Watch

morningstar

Juniors
theres no higher priority then sport
nothing gels or unites a community , certainly the size of Christchurch , more like their sport , their sporting institutions.
I think its about time to build a stadium again, a rectangle stadium for the city . similar to dunedin it would be a huge , massive ... boost to the city & it would further assist in its recovery
thats my opinion though

You need to go to Chch to see the utter devestation the 2010 & 2011 earthquakes caused. A new stadium is at the lower end of the priority list for most of the population and rate payers.

For the record the eventual new stadium will be rectangular and in the CBD, the cricket has moved to Hagley Park.

The insurance payout for Lancaster Park was disputed by the insurance company who believed it could be repaired and was only settled recently. The payout won't cover the cost of the proposed stadium so who covers the shortfall is being debated now.

Some light reading here...

https://i.stuff.co.nz/the-press/bus...have-solid-roof-and-retractable-playing-field

https://i.stuff.co.nz/the-press/bus...ortfall-in-christchurchs-proposed-new-stadium

Saint Doc

Coach
So if Canterbury Rugby League owns the stadium, does that mean theyre getting rent from the Crusaders?

If so, thats a win!

Raiderdave

First Grade
You need to go to Chch to see the utter devestation the 2010 & 2011 earthquakes caused. A new stadium is at the lower end of the priority list for most of the population and rate payers.

For the record the eventual new stadium will be rectangular and in the CBD, the cricket has moved to Hagley Park.

The insurance payout for Lancaster Park was disputed by the insurance company who believed it could be repaired and was only settled recently. The payout won't cover the cost of the proposed stadium so who covers the shortfall is being debated now.

Some light reading here...

https://i.stuff.co.nz/the-press/bus...have-solid-roof-and-retractable-playing-field

https://i.stuff.co.nz/the-press/bus...ortfall-in-christchurchs-proposed-new-stadium

so it looks like they are going to build another venue anyway , eventually , after they work out how & who will pay for it

awesome

Valheru

Coach
The PNG game should have been in PNG. They are one of the 3 hosts so I don't see why they couldn't schedule a QF there. Obviously PNG not qualifying would have been disastrous but that was an unlikely scenario.

As for the semis, it looked like we were in luck after the first upset of the tournament in terms of having 2 well attended semis but the 2nd upset has probably changed that. I was at the last AUS/FIJI world cup semi in Australia and it was probably the most underwhelming sporting experience of my life. Tonga showed how hard it is to get up after such an emotional win by barely scraping past Lebanon, I fear another 50 point mauling here.

Burns

First Grade
Anyone have any idea how the Final is looking? Just poking around on what is available, there will need to be some good movement after the weekend to get a sell out.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Anyone have any idea how the Final is looking? Just poking around on what is available, there will need to be some good movement after the weekend to get a sell out.
there was a HUGE ad in the sunday tele from Tourism QLD re the RLWC semi and final … urging people to come up for both games etc … hope that helps!!!

Springs09

Juniors
to the world sporting stage you dipstick
play games , quarter finals no less of a freakin world cup in tin pot 4th rate venues
then we'll look like a tin pot 4th rate event

both quarters finals should have been double headers in proper venues
aka
no hills

Oh but double-headers for QFs will make us look 7th rate! It will be 10k crowds for both and no one will come to watch Tonga because they see them play in the NRL each week! Soccer, Union not even darts has quarter final double-headers!

Nah we should go further. Every final at ANZ Stadium mid-week. Our weekend, hill-stadiums tournament is too backward.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That means roughly 45,000 for the 4 semis, barely passable .

Takes us to roughly 280,000 For the tournament so far. So no way are we going to hit 400,000, more likely around 375,000 (still being optimistic even with that!) which is 75,000 below target, which in any language is unacceptable!

RL fans in Australia and NZ need to take a hard look at themselves. Our game needs all the support it can get, its us against the world. Yet when it comes down to RL fans standing up and getting behind their sport where are they? There are 20k Melbourne storm fans, looking at the Melbourne crowd 70% of them were England fans, where the neutrals? Kiwi fans where were you in Wellington? If the Kiwi and Souths fans that attend games in perth had turned up for the RLWC games we would have sold out NIB,
We can blame ticket cost, seat allocation or venue choice all we like but until RL fans get of their arses and support THEIR game we will never match union, cricket or soccer fans when it comes to internationals.

Rant over!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The PNG game should have been in PNG. They are one of the 3 hosts so I don't see why they couldn't schedule a QF there. Obviously PNG not qualifying would have been disastrous but that was an unlikely scenario.

As for the semis, it looked like we were in luck after the first upset of the tournament in terms of having 2 well attended semis but the 2nd upset has probably changed that. I was at the last AUS/FIJI world cup semi in Australia and it was probably the most underwhelming sporting experience of my life. Tonga showed how hard it is to get up after such an emotional win by barely scraping past Lebanon, I fear another 50 point mauling here.

I bought tickets after Tonga's win over NZ to watch the Kiwis and Kangaroos go at it but I am not too excited about watching Australia lap Fiji. After an understrength Samoa held Australia to 46 though, I think Fiji will be better than in their last two semis against the Kangaroos. Maybe 36 - 0. I can't see them doing enough in attack to score any points.

Having said that, the way the Kiwis played their last game and a half, had they jagged a late win on Saturday over Fiji, Australia would have probably belted them 30 odd nil also in the semi also.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Ticket sales for the weekend appear to be strong, most bays in Auckland are almost full with quite a few taken off sale since this morning. Cat C in Brisbane single seats only and again most areas appear to be filling.
No, they got us again!! More bays have been opened in Brisbane and in better locations to the ones already sold. Why do they continue to hold back the better seats.

Suitman

Post Whore
No, they got us again!! More bays have been opened in Brisbane and in better locations to the ones already sold. Why do they continue to hold back the better seats.

Because as the game get's closer, those that are desperate to go will pay a higher price, so they release the shit seats first.

Stallion

First Grade
RL fans in Australia and NZ need to take a hard look at themselves. Our game needs all the support it can get, its us against the world. Yet when it comes down to RL fans standing up and getting behind their sport where are they? There are 20k Melbourne storm fans, looking at the Melbourne crowd 70% of them were England fans, where the neutrals? Kiwi fans where were you in Wellington? If the Kiwi and Souths fans that attend games in perth had turned up for the RLWC games we would have sold out NIB,
We can blame ticket cost, seat allocation or venue choice all we like but until RL fans get of their arses and support THEIR game we will never match union, cricket or soccer fans when it comes to internationals.

Rant over!

Mentioned the exhorbitant ticket prices of the world cup to a male principle today and he said "That's madness!" This teacher is a sports fan and a rugbyleague fan and is enjoying the tv product of this world cup but wasn't aware of the ticket prices until I mentioned them today. His point being that rugby league is on show trying project a popular image and the organisers have not figured this out!?

Billythekid

First Grade

Rant over!

Get the f**k out. It's not up to fans to prop up the game. You should never blame the consumers. Simple fact is the people running this tournament and international league haven't engaged the fan base properly.

Lack of promotion, expensive tickets, poor scheduling, negative attitude and attention from the mainstream media and the people involved in and running the game, general lack of international matches to build up interest and a raft of other problems.

Look I agree that there is a general unwarranted apathy amongst rugby league fans towards the international game. Ultimately though it's up to the people running the game to change this.

Latest posts