What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Media Watch

Burns

First Grade
Time for that special thread in which we all find and post news about how the Media are treating and reporting on the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

Obviously there has been a lot of noise this week about the Squads for Tonga #tongagate - But who would have thought it would be front page of the Daily Telegraph?

Although, the New Zealand Herald seems to be going into a meltdown, see Dale Budge

And, the Sydney Morning Herald (but not Steve Mascord's column today!) sing much the same tune:

Emu01

Juniors
Any publicity is good publicity at this stage. Fifita has lit the fuse on the World Cup. The Tonga v New Zealand game should be an absolute cracker now.

Apparently ticket sales have increased already.

Burns

First Grade
Second day in a row there is zero coverage in the Fairfax papers about the WC. The back page of the Sun Herald is about what Cooper Cronk will do.

Emu01

Juniors
Second day in a row there is zero coverage in the Fairfax papers about the WC. The back page of the Sun Herald is about what Cooper Cronk will do.

Yes it’s annoying that the littlest story takes up pages and pages of media and airtime on tv and radio.

Like when the nrl released the draw the other day I was getting emails text messages from friends it was all over the media.

Meanwhile the World Cup was getting hardly any coverage..

Jim from Oz

Juniors
very little in the SMH and Sun-Herald over the weekend, and the telegraph not much better

a bit more in the SMH monday …

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Monday's Daily tele has MORE endless Cooper Cronk stories … yawn ! Minimal WC coverage despite Sunday's media launch !

DC_fan

Coach
All this publicity should lead to some very good crowds and TV ratings. If it doesn't then we can't blame the lack of publicity.

hutch

First Grade
There is a heap more publicity this year than there was in 2008. Channel 7 have completely blown 9’s coverage away already and it hasn’t started yet.

Stallion

First Grade
Excellent coverage from channel 7! They have a day to day countdown of world cup kick off at start of primetime News sports report . Apparently the owner of channel 7 is a passionate South Sydney fan. I'm musing that rugby league may look to spread its product to FTA channels like 7 into the future.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Not much on fox sports at all, I never watch channel 7 so I haven't seen much at all. I just got home from the north island in Nz also, didn't see much at all.

hutch

First Grade
Today morning show news, not that I watch that terrible show but I was flicking. Cricket, A league, surfing, no mention of rugby league at all. Scum.

hutch

First Grade
The terrorgraph has been surprisingly positive about the entire tournament including slothfield. They completely bagged the 2008 tournament. There is a lot more positive feel this year.