What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ROBSTERS VIEW - ROUND 2- WARRIORS VS DRAGQUEENS.

Robster

Bench
PREVIEW WARRIORS VS ST GEORGE

1. Ben HORN -WEBBY -Webb the better player, will find the gap and easily beat Hornie in a foot race.
2. Nathan BLACKLOCK-HENRY- Blacklock experince and has more of a tryfactor then Henry, although Henry does have a bigger jump for the high ball
3. Mark GASNIER vs VINNIEBARBARINO- Hard battle,both are solid players, but although it doesn't ryhme, tackles win match's, so I'll give this to Vinnie
4. Matt COOPER-TOOPS-no idea with this battle, if I were to guess Toopi will come outta his box of his bartercard performance last week and make a couple of line breaks, with Matt Cooper not matching his speed.
5. Reece SIMMONDS vs Francis Meli - Reece Simmonds wins the ball handling section, Francis will drop a few balls but his couple of trys and few line breaks will see Francis Win the Overall battle.
6. Trent PARROT - LEUlUAI , thomas doesn't get involved as much as Experince Trent Barret, Parrot has to much skill even though Thomas showed loads of talent in last years test, thomas isn't consistent enough yet
7. Brett FIRMAN vs STACE THE ACE-- DRAW, Jones is still getting use to playing first grade footy after his injurie, He'll be decent enough for the Warriors , I can see Firman will put on a equally matched performance with Stacey.
8. Luke- Tomato- Karl played great last week, but I can't rate him as a prop, he's a 2nd rower, Luke bailey fits the posistion and has the experince and the size, so Luke will win that battle.
9. Pig boy vs Mr ENTHUSASIM LATU- Latu gets 10/10 for enthusiasm, but Pig boy has a good passing game, I am yet to see that from Latu's very few games last year, sometimes Latu gets to excited and drops the pill.
10. LONG VS EFFECTIVE- how effective will Lafeta be? probally lots but will only last 10-15 minutes on the field, while Long is similar to Martin Lang, Runs straight no matter what , plus he'll last long then effectives record time on the field, so I give this battle to Long.
11. Dean YOUNG vs Sione- Sione next Star of Rugby League, huge amount of skill, needs to learn when to pass and not when to pass, but highly skillful compared to Dean.
12. Henry PERENARA vs Ali Lauiti'iti- DRAW!! Damn this is a close battle, . Ali Lauiti'iti is diffently the best offloader and has improved on his defence, but isn't playing as well as he did 2 years ago, Henry is highly underated, has a good tackle count, and is very consistent when playing. I'm tipping a draw, I hope Henry makes the test team this year.
13. Shaun TIMMINS vs AWEN GUTTENBIEL - I feel both are overated in a way, Awen true he's solid but I often see him drifting off to sleep, he's solid at tackling I guess but have never seen him make a big hit on a player, Shaun has the speed and will try to find gaps in the field, I also tip him to score a try.

SUPER SUB- MARTINhe has utality value, so he wins a point for the Warriors on this one.

There we have it- 8-8 shows, but with the numbers be so close I am likely to be wrong. This Match can go anywhere, but my tip is Warriors by 8 thanks to a 2 try effort by Francis Meli and a backed up try by Brett Webb.

Kakihara

Juniors
You forgot the big one

Nathan Brown vs Daniel Anderson -Daniels record speaks for itself while all Brown has is a bitch slap.

Robster said:
PREVIEW WARRIORS VS ST GEORGE

1. Ben HORN -WEBBY -Webb the better player, will find the gap and easily beat Hornie in a foot race.
2. Nathan BLACKLOCK-HENRY- Blacklock experince and has more of a tryfactor then Henry, although Henry does have a bigger jump for the high ball
3. Mark GASNIER vs VINNIEBARBARINO- Hard battle,both are solid players, but although it doesn't ryhme, tackles win match's, so I'll give this to Vinnie
4. Matt COOPER-TOOPS-no idea with this battle, if I were to guess Toopi will come outta his box of his bartercard performance last week and make a couple of line breaks, with Matt Cooper not matching his speed.
5. Reece SIMMONDS vs Francis Meli - Reece Simmonds wins the ball handling section, Francis will drop a few balls but his couple of trys and few line breaks will see Francis Win the Overall battle.
6. Trent PARROT - LEUlUAI , thomas doesn't get involved as much as Experince Trent Barret, Parrot has to much skill even though Thomas showed loads of talent in last years test, thomas isn't consistent enough yet
7. Brett FIRMAN vs STACE THE ACE-- DRAW, Jones is still getting use to playing first grade footy after his injurie, He'll be decent enough for the Warriors , I can see Firman will put on a equally matched performance with Stacey.
8. Luke- Tomato- Karl played great last week, but I can't rate him as a prop, he's a 2nd rower, Luke bailey fits the posistion and has the experince and the size, so Luke will win that battle.
9. Pig boy vs Mr ENTHUSASIM LATU- Latu gets 10/10 for enthusiasm, but Pig boy has a good passing game, I am yet to see that from Latu's very few games last year, sometimes Latu gets to excited and drops the pill.
10. LONG VS EFFECTIVE- how effective will Lafeta be? probally lots but will only last 10-15 minutes on the field, while Long is similar to Martin Lang, Runs straight no matter what , plus he'll last long then effectives record time on the field, so I give this battle to Long.
11. Dean YOUNG vs Sione- Sione next Star of Rugby League, huge amount of skill, needs to learn when to pass and not when to pass, but highly skillful compared to Dean.
12. Henry PERENARA vs Ali Lauiti'iti- DRAW!! Damn this is a close battle, . Ali Lauiti'iti is diffently the best offloader and has improved on his defence, but isn't playing as well as he did 2 years ago, Henry is highly underated, has a good tackle count, and is very consistent when playing. I'm tipping a draw, I hope Henry makes the test team this year.
13. Shaun TIMMINS vs AWEN GUTTENBIEL - I feel both are overated in a way, Awen true he's solid but I often see him drifting off to sleep, he's solid at tackling I guess but have never seen him make a big hit on a player, Shaun has the speed and will try to find gaps in the field, I also tip him to score a try.

SUPER SUB- MARTINhe has utality value, so he wins a point for the Warriors on this one.

There we have it- 8-8 shows, but with the numbers be so close I am likely to be wrong. This Match can go anywhere, but my tip is Warriors by 8 thanks to a 2 try effort by Francis Meli and a backed up try by Brett Webb.

No respect for the opposition aye Robster????

Also would help if you got the Dragons Team correct :?

Perenara is out injured.

My Preview:

Brent Webb v Ben Hornby

Webb was in outstanding form last week with two tries and was solid on defence. If he can sniff around the rucks this week he'll be in for a few more tries.

Hornby is as safe as a bank at fullback who never strays from the action and like Webb is another 'go to' man in attack. Good cover defender and last line defender.

Verdict: Webb edges out Hornby in my opinion has the "X" factor.

Henry Fa'afili v Reece Simmonds

Henry returns to the fray this weekend after missing out on selection last week. With Henry over his hamstring strain he will be back to his speedy and elusive self. Another attacking weapon, look for Jones to bomb to the right wing where the 1.88m Fa'afili has an advantage over the 1.75m Reece Simmonds. Also look for Henry to get into acting half to help out the forwards in the latter stages of each half.

Simmonds makes up for his lack of size with a ton of courage. Great reader of the game. A slippery runner who is dangerous out wide.

Verdict: Henry, Amazing in the air with his gravity-defying leaps under the high ball.

Clinton Toopi v Mark Gasnier

Clinton has well below his best last week against the Broncos and is in danger or losing his starting centre spot to new recruit "Tony Martin". Look for a much improved performance from the Kiwi International where he will show us some of that sublime footwork and tremendous speed down the left flank.

Gasnier is a real flier with great balance and excellent footwork. A key strike weapon in the Dragons back line.

Both have been suspect in defence from time to time.

Verdict: Clinton Toopi, great combination down the left flank with Meli and Faumuina, but only just, Toops will be hungry to keep his position in the starting side.

Vinnie Anderson v Matt Cooper

Vinnie is a solid centre, who is more of a defensive player and is a real work horse in defence.

While Matt Cooper is an all out attacking centre, who is a strong and quick runner who takes power to stop.

Verdict: Matt Cooper, Cooper holds more of an all-round game, but i hope Vinnie proves me wrong and shows more of those attacking skills he revealed late last year.

Francis Meli v Nathan Blacklock(Blacklock plays on the right wing so he will face up against Meli)

Blacklock, one of the NRL's prolific try scorers is an absolute speedster who is a genuine crowd-pleaser. class finisher who has a roving role in attack as he goes sniffing for opportunities.

Meli IMO was poor last week. He showed glimpses of what he is made of and I expect a big game from Francis with the likes of Manu Vatuvei and Justin Murphy waiting in the wings.

If the "Real Francis Meli" turns up we are in for a great show. Blacklock is suspect on defence at times while Meli comes up with the bone crunching tackles that count.

Verdict: Meli, my a nose.

Thomas Leuluai v Trent Barrett

Burst onto the scene last year. Still needs to take on the line a bit more to try break the line or draw the defender to make room for his classy outside backs. Thomas is a tough defender though.

Barrett is a very creative playmaker and the kingpin of the Dragons attack. Exceptional on his feet, very quick off the mark with a great kicking game.

Verdict: Barrett, Great kicking game who can turn a game with one play. His kicking in general play could go a long way towards a Dragons victory on Saturday night.

Stacey Jones v Brett Firman

Stace was in my opinion just hoping to get through last weeks game. He looked to take control late in the second half last week and will have to start where he left off. Great player who has an excellent kicking game. Look for Leuluai and Webb to help try take some of the pressure of Stace in attack and on the last tackle.

Firman, in his second season in the top grade is a tough competitor who can cut up opposition defences.

But the big match experience to Jones sees him win this battle, well on paper anyway.

Verdict: Jones, Great kicking game and reads the game. Stace at times seems to be a play ahead of the opposition.

Karl TeMata v Ashton Sims

Two young guns in the NRL. TeMata played well last week in the absence of Jez. Mad several breaks and didn't hide in defence. He will be better for the experience. No bad considering a few years ago he was a winger.

Don't really know much about Sims. But from what i have seen of him he charges at the line like Iafeta Palea'aesina and hits in defence like Francis Meli.

Verdict: Sims, he is a proper prop forward, but in saying that TeMata will give him a run for his money in the battle of the new boys.

Tevita Latu v Mark Riddell

Latu was only cleared to return from TB last week and his overall fitness strength, and match fitness will be down. It will be interesting if the Latu of old is able to fire straight away. Tevita also possesses quick service from acting half.

Riddell is a keen competitor who is very strong and is virtually un-stoppable from dummy-half, close to the try-line. Also deceptively quick.

Verdict: Riddell, Latu is coming back from a serious illness and will lack match fitness.

In saying this Latu may not start or play. Dezolt is still a possibility to start at Hooker for the Warriors.

Iafeta Palea'aesina v Nathan Long

Feka played a lot more game time last week compared to previous seasons. and he was still making the advantage line with every charge.

Long, back from nearly a whole season off with injury. Gets his chance to shine with Ryles out for an extended period. Just like Feka he charges at the opposition line at full speed. Long is a tireless worker in defence.

Verdict: Another tough one. Long but only just. Long is a tireless worker who can play for longer periods than Feka.

Sione Faumuina v Dean Young

Sione has developed into a fine back-row forward. Still at times a bit ill-disciplined. But has that wonderful flair and ball skills which he has bought over from his time as a basketballer in his younger days.

Dean Young's A nuggety and solid hooker or back-rower, Young’s work rate is outstanding with defence his strength. A gritty competitor.

Verdict: Sione wins this one. Sione has great off-loading ability and also isn't affraid to put his shoulder in, in defence.

Ali Lauiti'iti v Lance Thompson

Ali needs to step up or he will lose his spot in the starting 13 to the likes of Wairangi Koopu. Ali needs to use his size to great more opportunities. If he continues to operate down the right flank look for him and Fa'afili to strike a combination to rival Sione, Toopi and Meli down the left.

Thompson is t vastly experienced and fiercely competitive forward. A workaholic tackler who is always keen to hit the ball up, and is dangerous running on the fringes.

Verdict: Hard to say, this one could go either way.

Awen Guttenbeil v Shaun Timmins

Guttenbeil takes over the captaincy in the absence of Monty Betham. And look to him to lead from the front and by example. A durable workhorse in the Warrior pack who gets in and does the hard yards to create the opportunities for the likes of Ali and Sione to do their thing.

Timmins is a hard running and defensively sound player who has made the transition from centre to the back-row. Solid in defence and has speed in attack. Also has good ball handling skills, which saw him play at 5/8 for NSW last year.

Verdict: Awen Great all-round game, look for him to step up in the absence of Betham. And for him to do the hard yards to set up Ali, Sione and the backs.

Key Match up: The Battle in of the Halves. Jones and Leuluai (if he plays at 5/8) up against Barrett and Firman.

AliN

Live Update Team
Interesting calls there guys.. Don't underestimate the Dragons fire power. I remember sitting behind their bench in 2002 at Ericsson, the guys were huge!! And I thought our boys were big.

One of my favourite player, Lance Thompson, will have it all over Ali if Ali played how he did against the Broncos.
Brett Firman is very quick at halfback, and has some great options. We have to rattle Barrett then he stuffed, otherwise he's the danger man.
Flatfoot Riddell can be a danger running from dummy half, once again stop him in his tracks and he's stuffed. I really can't see Latu having much game time so either Dezolt will get a big run, or there'll be a reshuffle and Webby or Martin may come in.
Sims is one of the Dragons danger men apparently, can't say I know too much about him but if Te Mata's up against him, he better watch himself.

It's going to be a hard game, the Ericsson crowd will be treated to some so called ugly footy I reckon, cos I can see the forwards dictating the plays.
I still think we'll win, but it definitely won't be one sided imo ..

AliN

Live Update Team
and I know I'm being real picky here Rob, but why call the Dragons Dragqueens :roll:

Jimbo

Immortal
I can't believe Illawarra Stain George only have a 5.5 point start. They'll need that for each 20 minutes!!

LeagueNut

First Grade
:lol: We wish Jimbo ... that would be a bloody fantastic way to kick off at Ericsson!

Just heard that Mark Gasnier is out ... maybe a welcome home for John Carlaw will be on the cards??

Latest posts