What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rod Marsh to stand down as national selector

Bazal

Post Whore
Just came up on the CA app, if that's source enough. Not sure it's entirely good news tbh. Marsh is awful, that's for certain....but now they'll hastily fill the role rather than having a process.

JJ

Immortal
I loved Marsh as a player, and he always seemed like a thoroughly good bloke - I guess falling on your sword in this situation just further backs that he's a good man.

Not sure whether he's an awful selector or not, not a huge talent pool at the moment and the strategy has been to go with experience, and to be fair to him it worked to a degree - South Africa even without AB and Steyn are just a far better side - which shows how crappy the world rankings are too

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Sadly the Victorian CEO and Howard will still keep their jobs. Marsh should be just the start.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I loved Marsh as a player, and he always seemed like a thoroughly good bloke - I guess falling on your sword in this situation just further backs that he's a good man.

Not sure whether he's an awful selector or not, not a huge talent pool at the moment and the strategy has been to go with experience, and to be fair to him it worked to a degree - South Africa even without AB and Steyn are just a far better side - which shows how crappy the world rankings are too
Agreed, Marsh has realised his position is untenable and done the best thing for Australian cricket. Unlike the cowards higher up who will throw anyone under the bus to keep their cushy well paying jobs.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Listening to Merv, what a f**king dribbler.

He was a selector for 5 years, absolutely no idea. Thinks the selectors have done a good job LOL.

aussies1st

Staff member
Good on him for doing what was best for the team, a few others need to take his lead.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He was leaving soon anyway. I think he just didn't want the job,

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So Hohns named interim chairman??

Talk about back to the future.

Have Sutherland and his mate been on the member berries????

Member Steve Waugh???

Member Shane Warne????

Member 16 test wins in a row

Member Ricky Ponting???

Member being feared???

" oh I member" :upside_down:

Apologies to the non South Park fans in here.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Chappell was a selector over 30 years ago, what Lawrie Sawle and John Benaud doing these days??? Jim Higgs??? bob Simpson or how about Neil Harvey??? Fair f**king dinkum they will keep changing selectors, players , coaches and Staff all the while that Clueless Victorian and his butt buddy Howard will continue to be clueless while running the sport into the ground.

undertaker

Coach
It's comedy capers. Hohns is a clueless fossil
So Hohns named interim chairman??
Hohns lol

During his first tenure as chairman of selectors, Hohns was single-handedly responsible for making one of the worst decisions in Australian cricket selection history, dropping the Waugh brothers from the ODI side in 2002. Steve, moreso, was made the scapegoat from that summer and then a witchhunt campaign in the media was conducted to get him removed from the test team the following summer when he was still batting well prior to that famous century at the SCG vs England in 2003. I was extremely happy when Hohns left in 2006.

That decision was up there with John Inverarity dropping Mike Hussey from the ODI squad after his test retirement when Hussey was one of the best ODI batsmen in the world and was still averaging 48.

Yes Neil Harvey, he'd sort these pop idols out

Noooooooooooooo.

Neil Harvey = Ian Chappell mk 2.0

Another has-been hack who believes their team 'back in the day' was the best of all time. Harvey absolutely hated it when Steve Waugh's side went on that 16-test winning streak and was liken to the 1948 Invincibles, and Chappell didn't waste any time to jump on the bandwagon as well.

Listening to Merv, what a f**king dribbler.

He was a selector for 5 years, absolutely no idea. Thinks the selectors have done a good job LOL.

Merv's legacy was selecting another fellow Victorian, Cameron White as lead spinner for the 2008 tour of India. ROFL! Birds of the feather flock together. Very, VERY true.

undertaker

Coach

As crap as Rod Marsh has been as head of selectors over the past couple of years, he doesn't get anywhere near the credit he should for the role and impact he had in the formation of the Taylor/S Waugh 1994-2004 dynasty, as coach of the Cricket Academy (then known as the AIS) at Adelaide during the '90s.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He's been in charge of our juniors for years so he knows the good juniors coming through, it could work out OK

Latest posts