What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ron Massey Cup / Sydney Shield 2017

kbw

Bench
St Marys beat Wenty in both grades today, by 6 tries to 4 in RMC and by 4 tries to 2 in SS.

Concord Burwood are playing Hills tomorrow at 11.30 but the Wests website indicates that they were playing Concord Burwood today - anyone know if true and if so, the score?

Concord Burwood did play Wests on Saturday. I think it was CB's second 20 and I think Wests rested a few (a combined SS RM trialling team. Wests won I think but I do not know the score

rightleftin

Juniors
It looks like Guildford have a pretty fair RMC side this year - beating Blacktown Workers 34-16 today. In the SS Blacktown beat Guildford 52-6 while Blacktown's leftover players had a 12-12 draw with Hills SS.

At Cabramatta, the SS game was called off 5 minutes after the drink break in the 2nd half with Mounties in front by 52-10. In the RMC game, Mounties dominated the first half to lead 16-0 but Cabra scored twice shortly after the break to make a game of it. However, Mounties closed it out for a 27-14 result. The Mounties coach will be pleased as 28 played for Canberra in the NRL trial and a few more were rested, so it is likely that most of the guys in the RMC trial today will start the season in SS as the Canberra guys are included in the NSW Cup line up..

rightleftin

Juniors
Concord Burwood did play Wests on Saturday. I think it was CB's second 20 and I think Wests rested a few (a combined SS RM trialling team. Wests won I think but I do not know the score

Thanks for the info, that background about line ups is very useful. CBW has now updated its website - Wests won 8 tries to 4 whereas today CBW beat Hills 5 tries to 4. It has been a busy week for CBW, they also lost to Guildford last Tuesday night.

Tigers1986

Juniors
lol you sad f**k

Oh look, Sir Neigh Neigh from his moral high horse bequeaths us with his input that was neither needed nor warranted.

Oops, sorry, I forgot it needs to be simple for you.

Your post was not needed.

It's abysmal management that in spite of KNOWING that Asquith have withdrawn and the competition starting soon that no official word has been mentioned at ALL from the NSWRL. In fact, the draw in Round 2's NSWRL publication available at the grounds (you see, attending the games) still lists Asquith in the draw and nothing is mentioned in the publication at all.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Oh look, Sir Neigh Neigh from his moral high horse bequeaths us with his input that was neither needed nor warranted.

Oops, sorry, I forgot it needs to be simple for you.

Your post was not needed.

It's abysmal management that in spite of KNOWING that Asquith have withdrawn and the competition starting soon that no official word has been mentioned at ALL from the NSWRL. In fact, the draw in Round 2's NSWRL publication available at the grounds (you see, attending the games) still lists Asquith in the draw and nothing is mentioned in the publication at all.
The continued high horse references are bizarre, given you're the one issuing out nasty missives to the NSWRL for your perception of how they run things.

There may well be a very good reason they haven't said anything about Asquith as yet, and it's likely if there is that you're not privy to it.

rightleftin

Juniors
The clubs know that Asquith is gone. Hills cancelled their trial against them and St Marys has updated the draw on its website so that the first home game has been amended from Asquith to bye, so no rabbit is going to be pulled out of a hat in the next 2 weeks.

rightleftin

Juniors
Statement posted by Peninsula Seagulls

As most teams are well under way in their preparation for the NSWRL competitions in 2017, the Peninsula Seagulls RLFC have decided to sit out this year, but are looking at returning bigger and better in 2018.

The Gulls were started in 2014 by Gary Pethybridge and Steve Gearin as an option to the players on the Northern Beaches who wanted to play in a stronger competition, as the local A grade comp was considerably weaker than in previous years and there were no signs of it i...mproving.

The club was also started to provide Manly-Warringah juniors a pathway into the Sea Eagles for those players who had further ambitions.

In our 3 seasons, we were minor premiers in 2014, preliminary finalists in each year and we won more games than any other side in the Sydney Shield. We had 2 players win the player of the year for the Sydney Shield and 4 players played NSW Cup for Manly. Unfortunately no premierships to show for it but for a club that has no Leagues Club backing them, no District Club backing them, being totally ignored by their affiliated NRL club and no major sponsors, it goes to show what an amazing job Gary, Steve and the other handful of volunteers have done in keeping the club afloat.

The decision by the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles to incorporate Blacktown Workers as their feeder club was a huge disappointment to all the hard working volunteers at the Gulls. While we understand in a competitive environment you have to look at all options, it would be nice to see the Sea Eagles investing in the talent that we have here on the Northern Beaches first before looking at other areas.

Unfortunately numbers in both players and volunteers have been dwindling on the Northern Beaches for Rugby League while the numbers for soccer and AFL only get larger. We are now in a battle for the survival of our sport in our district. The next few years will be critical to the survival of our game 20+ years down the track.

For the Gulls, due to player retirements and lack of support from local and surrounding districts, we've had to hit the pause button for 12 months. BUT..................

We aren't dead. We're not rolling over without a fight. And the fighting qualities we've shown as a club both off and on the field will hopefully have us back in 2018 bigger and better than ever. Some (hopefully) exciting news will be announced later on in the year but you'll have to watch this space for further details.

Good luck to the whole Rugby League community for a safe and successful 2017 campaign in whatever competition you are competing in and we'll see you in 2018.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
In terms of South Coast / Illawarra teams, the NSWRL would be better off chasing Wests Illawarra. Leagues club backed (now part of a 4 venue group), so finances should be fine. Issue is they don't dominate the local comp, so how would they handle the step up?

Wests probably aren't even the biggest backed club. Collies is probably bigger and Dapto have strong backing too. All have impressive leagues clubs.

You probably find the Illawarra comp is as strong as SS if not better and potentially on par with the RMC.

Those three clubs above could easily spend big on a few players if they wanted too. Also have a look at Dapto's winning team from last, that included reddy, Henderson, Henry and lulia - an impressive line up for a "country" side.

Wests probably aren't even the biggest backed club. Collies is probably bigger and Dapto have strong backing too. All have impressive leagues clubs.

You probably find the Illawarra comp is as strong as SS if not better and potentially on par with the RMC.

Those three clubs above could easily spend big on a few players if they wanted too. Also have a look at Dapto's winning team from last, that included reddy, Henderson, Henry and lulia - an impressive line up for a "country" side.
I didn't go with Dapto, as although they have Leagues Club backing they aren't exactly wealthy.

I forgot about Collegians, they would be the other that could do it financially. But from what I've seen their on field results have been somewhat lacklustre recently.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I didn't go with Dapto, as although they have Leagues Club backing they aren't exactly wealthy.

I forgot about Collegians, they would be the other that could do it financially. But from what I've seen their on field results have been somewhat lacklustre recently.

Don't worry about Dapto, they have plenty. They also own - http://thegrangegolfclub.com.au/

Yeah collies haven't done a lot lately but they also haven't done much recruiting either which they could do if they wanted too. They also "own" Port Kembla leagues club which supports Port in group 7.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
No illawarra based club wants to field a team in either the a RMC or the SS because there is no benefit to them.

Yep!!! It's really just a waste of money for them, unless the dragons supported it. And why would they when the Illawarra Comp is strong enough for their 20's / nsw cup players not being used.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Statement posted by Peninsula Seagulls

As most teams are well under way in their preparation for the NSWRL competitions in 2017, the Peninsula Seagulls RLFC have decided to sit out this year, but are looking at returning bigger and better in 2018.

The Gulls were started in 2014 by Gary Pethybridge and Steve Gearin as an option to the players on the Northern Beaches who wanted to play in a stronger competition, as the local A grade comp was considerably weaker than in previous years and there were no signs of it i...mproving.

The club was also started to provide Manly-Warringah juniors a pathway into the Sea Eagles for those players who had further ambitions.

In our 3 seasons, we were minor premiers in 2014, preliminary finalists in each year and we won more games than any other side in the Sydney Shield. We had 2 players win the player of the year for the Sydney Shield and 4 players played NSW Cup for Manly. Unfortunately no premierships to show for it but for a club that has no Leagues Club backing them, no District Club backing them, being totally ignored by their affiliated NRL club and no major sponsors, it goes to show what an amazing job Gary, Steve and the other handful of volunteers have done in keeping the club afloat.

The decision by the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles to incorporate Blacktown Workers as their feeder club was a huge disappointment to all the hard working volunteers at the Gulls. While we understand in a competitive environment you have to look at all options, it would be nice to see the Sea Eagles investing in the talent that we have here on the Northern Beaches first before looking at other areas.

Unfortunately numbers in both players and volunteers have been dwindling on the Northern Beaches for Rugby League while the numbers for soccer and AFL only get larger. We are now in a battle for the survival of our sport in our district. The next few years will be critical to the survival of our game 20+ years down the track.

For the Gulls, due to player retirements and lack of support from local and surrounding districts, we've had to hit the pause button for 12 months. BUT..................

We aren't dead. We're not rolling over without a fight. And the fighting qualities we've shown as a club both off and on the field will hopefully have us back in 2018 bigger and better than ever. Some (hopefully) exciting news will be announced later on in the year but you'll have to watch this space for further details.

Good luck to the whole Rugby League community for a safe and successful 2017 campaign in whatever competition you are competing in and we'll see you in 2018.
Wasn't this posted in like, October?

rightleftin

Juniors
Wasn't this posted in like, October?

This particular statement was posted on 11 January but I only saw it recently. They stated last October that they were not playing in 2017 but this statement implies that they aiming to do a deal with a senior club, whereas their previous existence has been independent despite a number of players appearing in NSW Cup for Manly.

NaiveNumbskull

Juniors
Now that the North Sydney Bears side has been announced this leaves the following players from the trials and that played in 2016 for them.

Do the RMC/SS sides announce their contracted players at all?

These are the players not named in the 2017 Bears squad that I still can't figure out where they've signed, etc

Harry Freebairn
Ben Jackson
Nathan Leitigaga
Trayden Mundine
Harry O'Toole
Juvilee Samiu
Wallace Tangiiti
--------
Logan Houghton
Devon Makoare Boyce

Last edited:

rightleftin

Juniors
Mounties teams for Round 1 of the #IntrustSuperPremiership, #RMCup & #SydneyShield are as follows:

#IntrustSuperPremiership v Canterbury Bulldogs
Saturday 4th March – Aubrey Keech Reserve 3pm
1 Lachlan Croker...
2 Eddie Aiono
3 Brent Naden
4 Reubenn Rennie
5 Dominic Reardon
6 Jordan Turner
7 Isaac John
8 Makahesi Makatoa
9 Glen Buttriss
10 Topiese Taufa