What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rookie of the Year

POPEYE

Coach
Dylan Edwards has been another great rookie this year. Great positioning and hands at the back and has helped the Panthers rise.
If Edwards plays like he did last night for the rest of the season and Penrith do well in the finals Cotric might be forgotten. Should give Sticky a call and tell him one of his players might get hurt more than the others . . . only get one shot at ROTY

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Yeah 3 games is the cut off.

The best rookies this year have been Cotric, Brailey, CHN and Edwards.

I'd say Cotric takes it this year because he's played every game I think and been consistent throughout the whole year.

Agree with all this. Will be interesting to see how Matt Dufty finishes the year. He is no chance for ROTY given how late he debuted, however he showed last week why the Dragons didn't put up a great fight to keep Dugan. He is a really promising talent.

Life's Good

Coach
If Edwards plays like he did last night for the rest of the season and Penrith do well in the finals Cotric might be forgotten. Should give Sticky a call and tell him one of his players might get hurt more than the others . . . only get one shot at ROTY
The awards are handed out before the finals so form in those games doesn't matter.

POPEYE

Coach
Agree with all this. Will be interesting to see how Matt Dufty finishes the year. He is no chance for ROTY given how late he debuted, however he showed last week why the Dragons didn't put up a great fight to keep Dugan. He is a really promising talent.
'How late he debuted' . . . was there any need for that

mozza91

Coach
Is the award based on points received or opinion?
Because if it's based on points Brock Lamb got dis.

Clifferd

Coach
Anyone who's been keeping a look out on rookies this year would see Esan Marsters is a gun. Another top game from him yesterday against Manly

Consistently averaging 80+ in super coach aswell

Clifferd

Coach
Is it fair to say it's a fairly weak rookie class this season?

Not at all. I can think of 3 from my team alone (Tigers) that are amazing prospects

Lamb, Cotric, Edwards, Suli, Marsters, Twal

I'm aware there's plenty more but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head

Jason Maher

Immortal
If Dufty had been given a go earlier in the season, he would have been a good shot. For some reason, we as a club and Mary as a coach are extremely reluctant to give young blokes a go, even when our established starters are donkeys. Drew Hutchison last year and the year before should have seen a lot more first grade. Not like Benchy was setting the world on fire in front of him. Jai Field this year with the biggest donkey of all time in McCrone in front of him is another one (ironically Field is now playing fullback and Dufty, another converted half, is in front of him).

mxlegend99

Referee
Cotric has it wrapped up. But theres a pretty good group of longterm NRL players coming through this year.

Roosters should have a pretty gun team in 3 years as a result.

POPEYE

Coach
If Dufty had been given a go earlier in the season, he would have been a good shot. For some reason, we as a club and Mary as a coach are extremely reluctant to give young blokes a go, even when our established starters are donkeys. Drew Hutchison last year and the year before should have seen a lot more first grade. Not like Benchy was setting the world on fire in front of him. Jai Field this year with the biggest donkey of all time in McCrone in front of him is another one (ironically Field is now playing fullback and Dufty, another converted half, is in front of him).
Haven't seen the game yet but the highlights show Mann starting with a try and finishing with one, how'd he go JM . . . was the coach and the Pom praising him or reluctant to admit he's always been better than McCrone

Jason Maher

Immortal
Mann was man of the match.

Any idiot could tell from his previous cameos in the role (including the other game against the Tits where he started in the 7) that he offers far, far more than McCrone with ball in hand. Nobody knew much about his kicking, because Widdop always hogged the kicking in those other games. Turns out he's a better kicker than McCrone too. Earned some repeat sets, where McCrone has given away endless 7 tackle sets.

Latest posts