What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ROOS V ALL BLACKS

siv

First Grade
Shit idea. Its just regressing RL back to the shitty rules it abandoned in the past.

Youd seriously get a better sport combining RL and VFL rules (probably look something like a weird American Football). At least that would be interesting...

Was attempted once behind closed door in the 1920s

Usually anything with the word hybrid means its generally sh...t

images

Lemon Squash

First Grade
This bullshit gets a run out every couple of years, never ever takes off.

Pretty sure a couple of years ago they were saying the England Rugby League team was going to play the Wallabies.

jim_57

Staff member
If there so much interest from sponsors in Japan the NRL should do their due diligence and ask for a list of backers for the game.. Then politely decline Hybrid Rugby and go to those backers with an NRL/Origin/Internarional game proposal..

Very much doubt there is much truth to it though.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Ever noticed that the rules for these hybrid rugby games always read as basically a game of Union except you play league when you're attacking in your half of the field. Why would you want to stifle the most exciting part of RL (attacking your oppositions line) for unions boring rucking and playing for penalties.

If I was writing a hybrid game it'd basically be modern RL (six tackle sets, 13 a side, 6 points for a try, 2 for a conversion, etc) with mauling, contested scrums, and line-outs chucked in.
The simplicity and intensity of RLs' attacking and defending play added with the ball being (almost) constantly contested and the added tactical play that creates of union, it'd be the best of both worlds.

Suitman

Post Whore
I attended the match in 1996 at Twickenham in London between Wigan (RL) and Bath (RU).
This game was played under Rugby Union rules. Bath won 44 - 19 over their Rugby League counterparts.
Attendance was 42000.

However, 2 weeks earlier, Wigan also played against Bath, at Maine Rd, Manchester. (Manchester City's previous home ground) The crowd was 20000, and this game was played completely under RL rules.
Wigan won 82-6. It was 52-0 at half time. Martin Offiah scored 6 tries in the game. lol

This proposal is just a gimmick and doesn't really benefit either code except for short lived bragging rights.
Honestly, who cares if it occurs?

beave

Coach
Rah Rah clowns call Leaguies ‘M u n g o s’. I say, if you fruits think its such an easy sport, lower yourselves to play a league game against the ‘Roos and see what you’re made of.

Fingers crossed Matt Scott would be right by then.... seeing Sharon Woods trot out and make an ass of himself would be funny though.

Pedge1971

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/17478fa704842febabb837ed52862796

TOP-LEVEL plans are advancing for a historic $50 million hybrid game between Australia’s world champion Kangaroos and New Zealand’s World Cup-winning All Blacks.

The Daily Telegraph has been told the match could be played in Tokyo, Japan, with each team to receive a massive $10m each.

That equates to nearly $600,000 for each player who plays in the one-off extravaganza.

The All Blacks have shown preliminary interest and given organisers a window to play the game — between two to four weeks after the 2019 rugby union World Cup in Japan.

71881d8a061920d66d61c8fd704b686e

Kangaroos star Josh Dugan could go head to head with All Blacks hero Sonny Bill Williams.
ARLC chairman John Grant has been informed of the proposed match. The Daily Telegraph has obtained emails clearly showing New Zealand’s interest in the concept.

The match would attract extraordinary commercial interest and television ratings.

Organisers have already started discussing some of the mouth-watering match-ups — Michael Morgan v Beauden Barrett, Sonny Bill Williams v Josh Dugan, Billy Slater v Damian McKenzie, Cooper Cronk v Aaron Smith, Kieran Read v Wade Graham, Boyd Cordner v Samuel Whitelock. Even coaches Mal Meninga against Steve Hansen.

Hybrid Rugby chairman Phil Franks has met with NZRU chief strategy and operations officer, Nigel Cass, in Wellington to discuss the proposal. Franks has also spoken personally to Grant.

Canterbury Crusaders CEO Hamish Riach contacted Franks describing a hybrid game as “intriguing”.

Another hybrid match will be announced within the next few weeks — adding more weight to proposed the Kangaroos-All Blacks game.

Franks and Hybrid director, the legendary Mark Ella, plan to visit Japan next month to try and secure further funding for the match.

02d5cfb23bf62b36084ada97d4ce371b

Hybrid Rugby boss Phil Franks presents a cheque to the Starlight foundation. Picture: Gregg Porteous
“I had a formal discussion with the New Zealand Rugby Union and they were really interested,” Franks said. “They stipulated they wanted to see an elite-class game.

“They are the first to give us a window and a time as to when they want to do it. That window was two weeks to a month after the 2019 World Cup final in Tokyo (on November 2).

“We are absolutely confident we can put it together. This game will be worth $50m. It will be just as big as the final of the World Cup.

“My view is that the teams will share the revenue. They will be getting the lion’s share of the money.

“Let me put it this way, there will be at least $10m for each team. At least. That’s what the game will generate.

“The All Blacks and Kangaroos want to see this game. It’s going to be massive.

c4fc5718546c212b1487742b4a18e411

New Zealand's All Blacks could be performing their haka for the Kangaroos. Picture: AP
“We think Japan is the best place for the game — that’s where all the sponsors are. After that I met with John Grant in Brisbane — I told him if he wanted some goodwill, the Kangaroos should play the All Blacks.

“The goodwill would then pour down on John Grant.

“There hasn’t been any formal agreement at this stage but you know and I know it’s going to happen.”

Grant and Franks have since exchanged a series of emails. Franks claimed he had also met with NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg.

“We now have the NRL listening to us. We just need to get a few things in place. I told them it was their game — not mine,” Franks said.

23b257738f268c883255bd144aea15b9

Cameron Smith and the Kangaroos. Picture: Getty Images
Former Wallabies coach John Connolly was another supporter.

“Imagine seeing the Kangaroos take on the All Blacks. The fans would love to see it … and you could guarantee a packed stadium for a one-off event like that,” Connolly said.

The obstacle facing Hybrid organisers is obtaining permission from individual NRL clubs — who contract the players. In rugby union, the one governing body contracts the game’s stars.

Certainly the financial enticement would be attractive to all players. Cash-wise, this would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

It is expected the game would be played with 13 players a side.

“This concept is a winner for both codes and will capture the imagination of the Australian public and the world at large,” Ella said.

813f80fda17776790626504b593e21cd

Wallaby great Mark Ella with former Sea Eagle Max Krilich. Picture: Braden Fastier
Franks’ plan will be met with scepticism — but he is unconcerned.

“This isn’t some Mickey Mouse game that some people seem to think it is,” said Franks, a former first grade rugby league player. “I’ve been around a long time.

“I’ve had a hundred opportunities to walk away from this but good things don’t come easy, mate. I’m not an idiot.”

The planned hybrid match between the Wallabies and England rugby league team fell through at the final moment.

POSSIBLE RULES
* Thirteen players are allowed on the field at any single time, six forwards and seven backs with an additional seven reserves.

* A try is worth five points; conversions and penalty goals are worth two points; a field goal is worth one point.

* A shot clock is used to restrict the attacking side to 60 seconds of possession in each half of the field — no tackle counts are used. The average time for a set of six tackles is 48 to 50 seconds.

* Two referees, one from each code, are to adjudicate hybrid matches similarly to the NRL style of refereeing.

* Lineouts will have a maximum of six players from each side with no “lifting” in the throw in.

* The team in possession has 60 seconds to cross the halfway line playing league rules, at which point, the referees will call change of play to rugby union laws.

Why does Krilich have the Kim Jong Un hair?

Pedge1971

First Grade
I attended the match in 1996 at Twickenham in London between Wigan (RL) and Bath (RU).
This game was played under Rugby Union rules. Bath won 44 - 19 over their Rugby League counterparts.
Attendance was 42000.

However, 2 weeks earlier, Wigan also played against Bath, at Maine Rd, Manchester. (Manchester City's previous home ground) The crowd was 20000, and this game was played completely under RL rules.
Wigan won 82-6. It was 52-0 at half time. Martin Offiah scored 6 tries in the game. lol

This proposal is just a gimmick and doesn't really benefit either code except for short lived bragging rights.
Honestly, who cares if it occurs?

This. The game would be a joke under half and half ir hybrid rules. Just too different now.

The only sensible match up would be touch footy or 7s which no one wants to see. Aussies would win though.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Imagine RL props trying to do a union scrum lol be a few neck braces coming out.

This rubbish has been in the news for the past decade

axl rose

Bench
Imagine union players not getting the chance to waddle from set piece to set piece. Be a few defibrillators coming out.

Ha reminds me of this Wallaby trying his hand at league. Comical. A few attempts at getting back the 10 before they stretchered him off in his first game, never to be seen again. Gone quicker then Mal Meninga political career.

showscan.php

Last edited: