What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooster, Raiders, And a certain TV channel

theicemandanno

Juniors
Quit your complaining, you were on TV last Friday in what was a BOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNG game of football.

Paullyboy

Coach
The Raiders cant help it if the Bulldogs have no answer in attack. Putting up 50 points a week against the dud teams is all well and good but being able to actually have some hint of an attacking game when a genuine team is playing you is kinda more important.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Penrith doesn't get too many games either. If it was Raiders/Roosters, would you be happy with them whinging and whining about it? I doubt it. So why do it yourselves?

One thing is that the TV games are chosen 5 or 6 weeks before the match. Ch.9 had no way of knowing which game would have a bigger impact on the semis. Even with that handicap, they seem to have got it right.

There is a lot of focus on the two Ch.9 games from fans of other clubs, while the only fans that care about the Raiders/Roosters game are Raiders and Roosters fans (as one team will finish either 1st or 2nd, and the other will finish 4th). Most fans from other teams don't really give two hoots which way around it is.

Let me demonstrate which games fans from each team will be interested in:

Raiders/Roosters - Interested in Raiders/Roosters for obvious reasons. Interested in Penrith/Parra, hoping Parra will win to make it possible for one them to get minor premiership. Interested in Broncos/Dragons, hoping Dragons will win so that Parra has more to play for. Half-heartedly interested in other games to see who they will play in the first round of the finals.

Broncos - Interested in Broncos/Dragons for obvious reasons. Half-heartedly interested in other matches to see who they will play in the first round of the finals.

Dragons - Interested in Broncos/Dragons game so they can see their boys run around and hoping they have something to celebrate during the off-season.

Penrith/Parra - Interested in Penrith/Parra for obvious reasons, and interested in Broncos/Dragons to see if Parra still have a shot at the 8.

Warriors/Storm/Bulldogs/Knights - Interested in their own games and half-heartedly interested in other matches to see who plays who in first round of finals.

Tigers/Eagles/Sharks - Can't wait for the season to be over. Don't really care about any games except those of the teams that they are gaining players from. In the Eagles case it's Parra/Penrith (Parra/Penrith premier league for Tigers). For Sharks, it's the Sharks/Dogs match which is their own one anyway.

Souths - Thankfully, the season has already ended.

Cowboys - Interested in their own match because they are getting excited about finishing strongly even though their finals hopes ended a few weeks ago. Interested in Dragons/Broncos and Penrith/Parra because they would love to see the Broncos miss out.

ozzie

Bench
El Duque said:
They put on teams tha rate. The Raiders don't.

how would you know - they haven't been on tv much have they..I would say they would rate higher than your sorry mob!!

Grantwhy

Juniors
eels2win said:
Cowboys - Interested in their own match because they are getting excited about finishing strongly even though their finals hopes ended a few weeks ago. Interested in Dragons/Broncos and Penrith/Parra because they would love to see the Broncos miss out.

Yes - as a NQ Cowboys fan I am intrested in the Knights/Cowboys game, but I don't expect it to be one of the 2 Ch.9 delayed coverage games this weekend.

I don't expect the Broncos to miss out on the finals and would like to see them in there and hope they go well.

What I am upset about is Ch.9 broadcast the first ever NQ Cowboys game (1995 @ home vs the Bulldogs - a hard fought and entertaining game)

and since then - nothing :oops:

Even Canberra gets better coverage than the Cowboys.

and looking at the table - every team below the Cowboys has had at least one game on Ch.9 this year, some more than teams in the top 8.

:? you say the NQ Cowboys don't rate on Ch.9 :?:

How The Heck Do They Know That?? They Never Broadcast Them To Find Out How The Cowboys Rate. :evil: [/rant]

Heck, according to stories the highest rating game on Pay TV in 2002 was a Saturday night game between Souths and the Cowboys 8)

face it - Ch.9 have their 'Favourites' and if they weren't concerned about appearances those 'Favourites' would be all they show :?

Misty Bee

First Grade
I can't imagine the Cowpats being a huge rater iun Sydney.I mean, do they pull huge crowds? No. Are there heaps of Cowpats fans in Sydney? No.

C9 are all about ratings. Example, a few weeks ago, NBN showed the Raiders/Knights game, while afar better Sydney game (Roosters v Panthers) was shown in Sydney. In Brisbane, the broncos games are always given priority.

It comes down to market. There is no TV market in Melboring (ok, should be developed, but that's another story) As for the Raiders, I can only ay that in the bigger markets (ie Sydney) they don't rate as well as some local clubs. It is a known fact that Parramatta rate their arses off, as do Brisbane.

ozzie

Bench
All you guys miss the point - Channel 9's coverage doesn't stop at Campbelltown - it goes all over NSW - raiders would rate very well - more than watching a team who is truggling to win a game and no chance of making the eight..

And I don't even like the Raiders - but I sure respect them more than the Parra Powderpuffs and would watch a game of theirs before the Parra cream cakes!!

Paullyboy

Coach
Misty Bee said:
I
It is a known fact that Parramatta rate their arses off, as do Brisbane.

That fact only came about in the 1 or 2 years that parra had a descent team, since then the bandwagon that is commonly referred to as Parramatta is no longer a top rater.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Wrong. I was told that by a C9 executive in 1997 that the top 4 rating sides back then were Manly, Balmain, Parramatta and Brisbane. Parra, then, hadn't been in the finals for a decade.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Misty Bee said:
Wrong. I was told that by a C9 executive in 1997 that the top 4 rating sides back then were Manly, Balmain, Parramatta and Brisbane. Parra, then, hadn't been in the finals for a decade.

Stunning!
All is now clear!

If parramatta rated well 6 years ago then the MUST rate even better now that they are usless!

Your powers of deduction a amazing, why waste your time here while there are so many crimes unsolved?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Raider 69, must be your IQ.

So I guess they were world beaters back then. Did you read the bit about not having been to the semis foradecade? Or would you expect them now to have less fans because they have been in the finals every year since then?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Misty Bee said:
Raider 69, must be your IQ.

So I guess they were world beaters back then. Did you read the bit about not having been to the semis foradecade? Or would you expect them now to have less fans because they have been in the finals every year since then?

you dont get the point. How do channel 9 know if teams like Canberra and the Cowboys rate if they dont get coverage....

Canberra have had 3 games:

V Sharks would have rated ok, but Sharks have been playing poorly all year so the ratings might have suffered.
V Dragons again Dragons were playing poorly and Raiders wernt playing that great.
V Roosters would have rated HUGE, great game and both teams had good form heading into it

thickos

First Grade
El Duque said:
They put on teams tha rate. The Raiders don't.
Speaking of teams that don't rate - yours! Got any plans for September yet???
By the way, if you tilt your head back far enough....you may be able to see us, sitting up near the top of the ladder? How's the view from 9th? :D

Thanks for all the top players too...Hindy, Schif, Mogg, Drew, Hodgo...cheers!

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Still think that the Raiders/Roosters match makes for better television than the Dragons/Broncos game and the Panthers/Eels game which is now Panthers playing for minor premiership vs Eels playing to make the final.

PS. thicko, I hope the Canberra Eels get up over the Roosters so that I can watch 22 Eels running around next week, instead of 18 or 19.

kaon

Juniors
eels2win said:
Still think that the Raiders/Roosters match makes for better television than the Dragons/Broncos game and the Panthers/Eels game which is now Panthers playing for minor premiership vs Eels playing to make the final.

PS. thicko, I hope the Canberra Eels get up over the Roosters so that I can watch 22 Eels running around next week, instead of 18 or 19.

The Souths/Tigers game was great as well.

Latest posts