What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters’ plans to save Bondi golf club and Waverley bowling club

EASTS Group has revealed plans to develop a multipurpose sports centre on the site of the Bondi Golf and Diggers Club, combining the Waverley Bowling Club facilities to create a new club.

The plan by Easts, the home of the Sydney Roosters, includes relocation of the bowling club to the North Bondi golf course – with two new bowling greens – and development of the Birrell St site into a retirement village and child care centre.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...news-story/a7094765bef7e365aebf59cdc6b6e6dauh
79cd841ff50e0e64bcb1fb228b865e46

Bondi golf club now.
The North Bondi plans also include a new indoor pool, a carpark, licensed bar, restaurant and an upgraded 9-hole, par 3 golf course on the Crown land site.

Easts Group chief executive Scott Bennetts said the tick of approval was needed from members at their next extraordinary general meeting on July 25 before moving forward with the plans.

“We’re putting the sporting bodies together and revitalising the building and, when you couple that with the stunning views down there and more activity, you should be able to make a viable operation down there,” Mr Bennetts said.

6b803521291bc8a884b345ba71c902f5

Plans for Bondi golf club.
“This considerable investment into the Waverley community would guarantee the survival of both the bowling and golfing members of each club, while also developing crucial new facilities at the Birrell St and North Bondi sites.”

Bondi Golf and Diggers Club president Gordon Rice said the club might not survive another 12 months unless something changed, due to financial hardship.

“I think it’s fantastic, it’s a great idea,” Mr Rice said.

2 weeks

Coach
The carpark is badly needed at that end of the beach, it could be a big income stream for them. The Birrell St club had been a ghost town for years, so the change was needed, I just hope it isn't an Aveo retirement village.

The stuff about this was sent out to all Leagues Club Members earlier in the week by snail mail (got mine on Tuesday).Proposal seems rather sensible from what I've read.

As to the "Multi-purpose sports centre" mentioned in Rothfield's article, that is where the club was planning (and may still be the plan, I don't if it is still the case or not) to base the football club's operations at the site, especially those for training by the players.

H.H

Juniors
Does this impact the football club in any way?
The charter of the football and leagues clubs are intrinsically linked, so yes it does.

The Easts group I believe already has an extensive property portfolio and this will add to it, along with the revenue streams it should generate. It also ensures our Eastern Suburbs identity remains (for the football club) which to many of us is very important.

All in all it's a good move for the club and the community. Even some old Diggers members I know are in favour of it.

Wimpy

Juniors
20638390_1556274861103180_761383305449743595_n.jpg

I joined this forum to add some balance to this discussion... starting with just the facts - There are two separate issues - Bondi and Waverley. Easts got the Waverley land by promising the bowling club they would "formulate a plan for Waverley and invest such money as is necessary over a period of time to allow the premises to become the premier club in Waverley and generally conduct the development in a manner as it did at Kingswood" (where they spent $4m on a refurb) and that "it must and will maintain and upgrade the facility at Waverley’s premises which is in keeping with a modern social and sporting club, not constrained by one sporting activity or group."

That's straight out of the MOU. Easts have failed to do these things.

So yes, I'm all for a financially securing the Rooster, but not if its at the expense of the bowlers and previous members of the Waverley club. BTW, Bondi is on crown land and according to council "Easts have been advised by council that there are no guarantees that their involvement with the Bondi Golf Club will translate into being granted a new lease or a reassignment of the lease."